Author Topic: Turbografx CDRom gear changed, but disc doesn't spin :(  (Read 751 times)

therealmindsett

Turbografx CDRom gear changed, but disc doesn't spin :(
« on: April 12, 2020, 06:12:53 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm trying to fix my Turbografx CDrom , and I replaced the middle gear that was broken and it all moves fine, oiled the rails and moved the laser unit back and forth manually to get things lubricated. The laser comes on, and moves forward to the default position if the laser pushed back manually to the back of the rail. The disc will move 1/4th of an inch then stop when play is pressed. Should I get another motor and install it? Anyone think that would fix the issue? Thanks!!  :icon_cat_derpy:

Keith Courage

Re: Turbografx CDRom gear changed, but disc doesn't spin :(
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 08:30:24 AM »
It's not the motor. Extremely rare for the motors to go bad. If the lens doesn't read correctly then the motor will not spin up.

First thing to check which is easy. Did you reinstall the larger ribbon cable correctly? It is inserted with the contacts facing outwards away from the center of the drive.

If you have this correct, then your problem is probably a bad lens or torn lens ribbon cable.

therealmindsett

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:41:22 PM »
Ok, I will try that and let you know, thanks!

therealmindsett

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 10:25:52 PM »
Well, made sure cable wasn't ripped, and ribbon cables properly attached. Did the same thing, and all of a sudden it won't power on now. Maybe a bad capacitor. Well, thanks for the input!

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 08:28:22 AM »
No power at all? I doubt that is a bad cap.

Check that the CD lid close switch isn't bent.

therealmindsett

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 09:32:57 PM »
Fixed it! So I think the issue was the ribbon cables weren't seated properly, since they are a little different from ones I am used to.  I reseated them, and the disc started playing! Then the power was shutting off intermittently , I eventually figured out that the metal piece inside the power port in the back of the player was loose, so it would cut out power if the power plug was not in the correct position...got a dental pick from the dollar store and pulled the metal piece out so the plug goes in snugly now, and the power doesn't go out any more. It's fixed! Yay! And thanks for the help!!! You're the bomb! :bonkthis: