Author Topic: Game of the Month: July 2020 - Parodius Da!  (Read 557 times)

geise

Game of the Month: July 2020 - Parodius Da!
« on: July 02, 2020, 01:51:03 PM »
Parodius Da!

A fantastic port of the classic Parodius Da! Arcade game. This was one I imported the year it was released. Was worth the $60 for the time. It is a really good port even with two of the levels being omitted. There is however a level only on this version of Parodius Da! I am one of the few that seem to enjoy the the mix of Gradius gameplay with Twinbee bells. This was a big deal game when it was released and you can tell Konami really did put a lot of effort into this game. So a day late but here we go! Lets post some scores!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: Game of the Month: July 2020 - Parodius Da!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 07:37:07 PM »
Another solid pick for GotM! I really love the "special" mode. It being so quick, you always have time for a couple runs and shoot for a high score. I hope to post some scores this month.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 09:25:54 PM »
Man, I suck at this game.   I blame the dang bells.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Johnpv

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 01:17:38 PM »
I am also awful at this game, but horizontal shooters are a weakpoint for me.  I do much better on Star Parodier.

geise

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 09:45:43 PM »
I pretty much ignore the bells and just use them for score. I get the green bell for certain places. Pro tip. Don't max out your power. This game is heavy on the "rank".

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 10:27:12 PM »
Ugh.  That dancing girl stomps my ass every time, and not in a good way.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 07:17:18 PM »
That dancing girl stomps my ass every time, and not in a good way.
I can see how you could be distracted... :)

I more than likely lose a life on the mid boss of stage two also. Even when you're doing good, those pesky penguins come up from behind and I normally do not have the tailgun option (I prefer TwinBee char). At least if you die on her, when you have another go with a new life, those penguins are absent. I've been putting in a few hours when I can and still loving it. I do not think I've ever beaten it, so I'm eager to "get good" and score a clear.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 08:12:05 AM »
Last day for (at least for me in my location) this awesome port for PCE. Still haven't cleared stage 6 yet but I keep going back. Hope others have enjoyed Parodius!

If you wanted more, I'd suggest giving Sexy Parodius (arc, PS1, SS) a run through. I've been told it's not the favored game in the series by shmup ppl(score, challenge), but it's the most fun to me.

geise

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 05:59:56 AM »
I could only 1 credit to the end of Stage 5. Nice majors that you were able to get to stage 6. BTW Sexy Parodius is fantastic on PS1 and SS. Also I don't listen to what other people like for shooters especially if it's from the shmup forum.  I'm still going to be playing this game even this month. Might even try for some Hi-Scores and post in the HI-Score section. Man I haven't done that in ages. I wish the 5 lurkers or whatever here would come out and try a hand at some of these GotM. I need to post more and get more involved as well.