Author Topic: Game of the Month: November 2020 - Ys Book I & II  (Read 1453 times)

geise

Game of the Month: November 2020 - Ys Book I & II
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
Ys Book I & II

Sorry to do back to back RPG's for GotM but I've been itching to play this game again for a long time. Even though this is my favorite turbo game and game ever I really have not played this version in years. I've played Ys Book Chronicles a lot the past few years it was time to get back to this version again and give it a proper play through. This is the month that I purchased this game for the turbo cd close to when it was originally released. It was my first cd game as well. BLEW MY MIND  back then. This is one of those games no matter how much I've seen the intro I always watch it in full. I thank Yuzo for the original score and Ryo Yonemitsu for this amazing CD Arrange soundtrack. Yuzo even gives Ryo props for how well it turned out. I love everything about this game and will have fun playing through it again. Hope everyone else will as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 07:44:36 PM by geise »

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: November 2020 - Ys Book I & II
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 06:06:58 AM »
Ys Book I & II

Sorry to do back to back RPG's for GotM but I've been itching to play this game again for a long time. Even though this is my favorite turbo game and game ever I really have not played this version in years. I've played Ys Book Chronicles a lot the past few years it was time to get back to this version again and give it a proper play through. This is the month that I purchased this game for the turbo cd close to when it was originally released. It was my first cd game as well. BLEW MY MIND  back then. This is one of those games no matter how much I've seen the intro I always watch it in full. I thank Yuzo for the original score and Ryo Yonemitsu for this amazing CD Arrange soundtrack. Yuzo even gives Ryo props for how well it turned out. I love everything about this game and will have fun playing through it again. Hope everyone else will as well.

Holy shit I can participate!! <3

I just started a new game last week with plans on picking it up every once in a while throughout the holidays!  Ys Book I&II is likely the greatest game of my lifetime!

nyandeyanen

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 02:41:06 AM »
I just finished it last year, they did a nice job of tying I and II together. Anything with a Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack is worth listening to in my mind. I've slowly started making my way through the English translation patch of IV as well. No YK tracks, but it's still good.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 01:30:26 AM »
Looks like Jash has a head start on us! It's been a while since I went through Ys on obey, I did play a few hours on the SMS port about a year or so ago. Out of all the games I've swapped out for the JP version, I kept my US Ys Bok I & II :)

Hope to get some time in this one too.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 09:11:11 AM »
Fuck yeah, Falcom!  I love me some Ys; the story, the tunes, the voice work.... it's all great.  Also, this'll give me a good reason to use the mini again.  It's another top choice from da goose!   :adol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

roflmao

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 10:48:33 PM »
Nice! I'm going to kinda cheat on this one because I'm nearly finished with Book I on my Core Grafx Mini, but I haven't had the motivation recently to finish it and complete Book II.  That last castle in Book II is such a pita that I usually move on before finishing it. Hopefully, now that I have Book I mostly out of the way I won't lose focus too early.

seieienbu

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 11:19:34 PM »
Ys sold me on CD Rom as a medium to play games on.  It wasn't some vaguely interactive "game" full of blurry video of bad acting; it was a good video game with a rocking soundtrack and cool cinematic sequences.  I'll play through both before the month is over as I'll need something to do having finally quit playing WoW again.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 11:22:15 PM by seieienbu »
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

roflmao

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 11:29:11 PM »
I made it through Book I today! I usually fizzle out before finishing Book II, so I hope I make it all the way through this time. :)

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 01:54:58 PM »
I made it through Book I today! I usually fizzle out before finishing Book II, so I hope I make it all the way through this time. :)
Nice! I'm on floor 13 of Darm tower myself. I discovered I have a ADPCM issue on my Duo :( but at least it's nothing I haven't heard(story wise) before. I should get a couple of hours in today, if not it'll have to wait til Sunday night. Still enjoyable after all these years!

WindyPCE

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 11:31:55 PM »
Sweet ive been playing Ys Book 1 and 2 for the past few days im in and will post some screens soon. I have beaten the game several times but it seems to play slightly different each time I play it. I'm in the Mines right now
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 11:36:09 PM by WindyPCE »

geise

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 09:43:00 PM »
It's nice to see so much participation this time. Good to see! Thanks for posting updates guys. I'm finally at the start of Book 2. Will be doing a bit more play time this weekend.

WindyPCE

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 12:05:18 AM »
I beat Book 1 today! I dont have any idea what I did but Dark Fact Died in like 1 second. Ive never beat him that way. I did do some hallway leveling on like 15th floor maybe that was it.

roflmao

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 05:49:09 PM »
I beat Book 1 today! I dont have any idea what I did but Dark Fact Died in like 1 second. Ive never beat him that way. I did do some hallway leveling on like 15th floor maybe that was it.

Congrats! Yeah, Dark Fact was a pushover for me as well. Probably because I forgot how much backtracking is needed in Darm Tower and I leveled up a few times just trying to figure out what to do next. ;)

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 08:09:14 PM »
...Probably because I forgot how much backtracking is needed in Darm Tower...

That damn Blue Amulet!

I too have started book II. I forgot how much better the 2nd half grafx look compared to the first.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 09:21:20 PM »
I finally got started and in Darm Tower now.  Does anyone else count columns as they run around outside?  Do you also usually go in one direction or the other?  I go counter clockwise.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles