Author Topic: Madou Monogatari I: Honoo no Sotsuenji translation  (Read 1753 times)

Supper

Madou Monogatari I: Honoo no Sotsuenji translation
« on: December 13, 2020, 10:31:36 PM »
So maybe someone remembers that earlier this year, TheMajinZenki, cccmar, Xanathis and I (who have recently adopted the marginally catchier group moniker "LIPEMCO! Translations") put out a translation for the PCECD Sailor Moon game? Well, we're back at it again, this time with Madou Monogatari I: Honoo no Sotsuenji (Sorcery Saga I: The Fiery Kindergarten Graduation). We've just released the patch today, so if you're interested, get it while it's hot: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5805/

Here's some footage of the translation in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_bLtE35QBg

If you're not familiar with it, the Madou Monogatari series is the dungeon crawler predecessor to the Puyo Puyo games, originating as a trilogy for the MSX2 computer and later seeing ports and sequels on a smattering of systems. Its primary features are cute visuals (...with some exceptions), automapping, and tons of voice clips. This particular version is an expanded port of the first game, featuring Arle's quest to pass her kindergarten graduation exam by retrieving three magic orbs from a tower full of monsters. It offers all the improvements you'd expect from a CD port and then some, with new visual scenes, high-quality audio, near-full voice acting, and plenty of new monsters and events.

I think if anyone knows this game for anything, it's probably for its extreme rarity. It was released absurdly late in the system's lifespan -- December 13th, 1996, exactly 24 years ago today -- and unsurprisingly wasn't a big seller, as a result of which it was commanding prices of 40-50 thousand yen at auction circa 2011, a number that's certainly only gone up since. It's also one of the handful of games that outright require the Arcade Card to run, which probably didn't do anything to help sales. But more importantly to our group, it's a Madou Monogatari game, and since, together or as individuals, we've worked on translations for like 5 games in the series at this point, it was pretty much inevitable that we'd give this one a go sooner or later.

While the translation itself wasn't too difficult, what with this being the third time TheMajinZenki's translated the same game (seriously), the hacking posed some interesting technical challenges. The in-game text was pretty typical stuff, though I did take the trouble to convert the dialogue boxes from three lines to four and implement dynamic word wrapping, but the cutscenes...Well, I was determined to subtitle everything, and I managed it, but it took longer to do than the rest of the game combined. I think I've figured out why most PCECD fan translations either do a dub or just provide the cutscenes as a text script. And hell, this one was a softball, with only three visual scenes, all running off of a common cutscene player. I can only imagine the horror of having to deal with your typical CD game that has dozens of scenes, each with its own little code overlay...

Anyway, it's a neat little game, so I hope a few of you will check it out. While the gameplay is honestly rather so-so compared to the Mega Drive port, the visuals and sound are top-notch, so I think it's at least worth a peek...though I may a bit biased here.

And to anyone who's played this game before and remembers the most painful part of the experience: I added the ability to skip voice clips by pressing a button ;) I also fixed the broken cheat codes for viewing the cutscenes; check the readme for information.

If anyone plays this on real hardware, please let me know if it runs correctly. I've unfortunately only been able to test on emulators, so there's plenty of things that could go wrong. (Don't forget that you'll need an Arcade Card, though!)

Hope you enjoy!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Madou Monogatari I: Honoo no Sotsuenji translation
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 10:56:22 PM »
What a sweet early x-mas present.  This is one I've been wanting to play for some time, but the price as you say is nutso; now I can play in English and necessarily on a CDR, saving my pennies for another day.  I love RPGs and Arle is the cutest protagonist ever.  Sign me up!

Thanks for another sweet translation!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 12:04:54 AM »
So maybe someone remembers that earlier this year, TheMajinZenki, cccmar, Xanathis and I (who have recently adopted the marginally catchier group moniker "LIPEMCO! Translations") put out a translation for the PCECD Sailor Moon game? Well, we're back at it again, this time with Madou Monogatari I: Honoo no Sotsuenji (Sorcery Saga I: The Fiery Kindergarten Graduation). We've just released the patch today, so if you're interested, get it while it's hot: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5805/

OH MY BONE!

('nuff said)

Seriously, though, thank you. The encounter with Skeleton T was charming.  :pcgs:
  |    | 

xelement5x

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 09:49:57 AM »
I saw the news on this and was super excited to give it a try.  They quality of life modifications for skipping the dialog seems like it'll be very nice as well.

Thanks for your hard work!  I just with wish we could have gotten parts 2 and 3 on the PCE as well ;)

Edit:
Does anyone have scans of the manual for this or at least an explanation of the controls and the item uses?
I made it a bit into the dungeon but kept trying to figure out how to get back to the menu with the map.  Eventually I accidentally hit select+run and you all know where that leads you.  #-o
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:14:46 PM by xelement5x »
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

roflmao

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 09:46:18 PM »
This is such great news! Thanks for all your hard work on this project. I'm going to try to get it running on real hardware tonight. :)

roflmao

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 11:06:43 PM »
Well, I've tried patching it using two different ISOs found online and both ended up without the translation. :/

I need to get more blank CDRs to try again, haha. If anyone gets a working patched ISO, can you share it with me in a PM?  :cook:

xelement5x

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 05:55:52 PM »
Well, I've tried patching it using two different ISOs found online and both ended up without the translation. :/

I need to get more blank CDRs to try again, haha. If anyone gets a working patched ISO, can you share it with me in a PM?  :cook:

Sent you a PM ;)
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

roflmao

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 12:15:34 AM »
You guys are awesome. I'm going to dig into it now.  :pcgs:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 09:36:54 PM »
So who here has played through this?  I get to an old man on the fourth floor and am confronted by an old man that won't let me pass until I "improve myself".  I've ground for XP as much as I can (enemies no longer give XP), so I'm not sure what to do next.  There's an area on the first floor that I can't enter (no doors or openings along its perimeter) and there's a statue blocking my path to another area (I must have a 'tally' to pass, whatever that is), but otherwise there's no unexplored areas on the maps; I assume the statue is blocking a ring going down, and then I'd find a ring in the basement that'll go back up into the hidden area of the 1st floor.  Anyone got any tips?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 12:08:54 AM »
Never mind, I'm up to Floor 10 now.  Thanks, Supper!