Author Topic: Video fault on TG-16 after replacing fuse  (Read 484 times)

Echoes

Video fault on TG-16 after replacing fuse
« on: January 01, 2021, 04:47:26 PM »
Greetings,

I picked up a TG-16 with a bad fuse to try to bring back to life, and after replacing the fuse on the TG-16 the system powers up but I get no RF output. I do get a composite signal from the pins in the back, but the colors are definitely not correct and at times seem to be "tearing". I've tried Keith Courage and Bonk's Adventure, and they don't crash/loop through their demos just fine. The graphical glitching is consistent on each title too. You almost can't see the title screen on Keith Courage, Bonk's title screen is always visible but nearly devoid of color, any "tearing" is always in the same place during a game's demo, etc... Anyone seen this kind of glitching before?

Keith Courage

Re: Video fault on TG-16 after replacing fuse
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 04:09:55 AM »
Hard to see in your pic but is that the graphical glitching at the bottom of that center smoke stack? If so then that looks like a faulty ram chip to me. Either that or a bad trace to the ram.

Echoes

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 11:52:51 AM »
Thanks for replying, yes it's like a white "rip" in the graphics, and the background colors in general seem reversed. The glitch moves with the affected tiles too. Hopefully a YouTube link is OK to post:

I tried poking about with a meter and haven't found any broken traces between the RAM and the HuC6270 yet, maybe whatever popped the fuse took out the RAM and RF modulator.  :bonkthis:

I guess replacement chips are only $2 on eBay right now, so I'll order some and see if replacing them helps.  :icon_cat_happy:

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 07:49:38 PM »
After looking at your video, it could also be a faulty trace or bad 6270 as well. Definitely hardware related and not a video output issue.