Author Topic: Game of the Month: January 2021 - 精霊戦士 SPRIGGAN  (Read 826 times)

geise

Game of the Month: January 2021 - 精霊戦士 SPRIGGAN
« on: January 03, 2021, 09:10:28 PM »
精霊戦士 SPRIGGAN

New year and new game of the month! Hope everyone had a happy new year. Here's to hoping this year is a little better towards slowly getting out of the shit that was 2020 for everyone. So we're gonna start this year off right with a fantastic shooter! Spriggan is my favorite vertical shooter on the cd system. The weapon combinations I always had fun with. The music is fantastic as well as the few cutscenes in the game. A decent amount of levels as well as the 2 and 5 minute time runs. Time to test your reflexes you old bastards. Lol! Enjoy guys!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: January 2021 - 精霊戦士 SPRIGGAN
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 09:36:45 PM »
Sweet, Ys 4 - The Dawn of Ys; I look forward to replaying it again.  There's no such thing as too much Adol!   :cook:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

roflmao

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 12:31:43 AM »
Sweet, Ys 4 - The Dawn of Ys; I look forward to replaying it again.  There's no such thing as too much Adol!   :cook:

Haha! I was planning on playing through Ys 4 this month as well!

I guess I'll have to play both.  :dance:

gex

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 12:02:43 AM »
Spriggan is my favorite vertical shooter on the cd system.

Take that back

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 03:07:18 PM »
Green/Yellow for life!

1st PCE game I ever imported...I remember calling Game Express to make my order and mailing a check :)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

geise

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 06:05:21 PM »
There is no reason to not play more than 1 pc-engine turbo game this month, however Spriggan it is.

Gex yes for me it is. I love me some Nexzr and some others, but Spriggan is my favorite on the CD system for shooters.

roflmao

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 11:20:14 PM »
There is no reason to not play more than 1 pc-engine turbo game this month, however Spriggan it is.

Gex yes for me it is. I love me some Nexzr and some others, but Spriggan is my favorite on the CD system for shooters.

Spriggan is usually my favorite as well. (I love Star Parodier, too!) It was also the first game I imported bitd. Hellfire S was the next game I imported and that was a little disappointing, haha.

I'll definitely play through it sometime this month, but I'm always up for playing Spriggan. :)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 09:32:31 AM »
Green/Yellow for life!

1st PCE game I ever imported...I remember calling Game Express to make my order and mailing a check :)

As one of the few great choot-chootz that I don't own, I'm super stoked to finally play this properly on my Turbogarpex-16 mini!  Damn, I love it so far!  I think I'm more of a yellow-red-red kind of guy so far. But by no means am I even decent yet, haha!

Great pick for the month!  I'm confused, was this month originally Ys IV or was it always Soup-Riggan!?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 04:54:24 PM »
It should've been Ys 4.  Damn goosey's teasing me with Adol.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 10:49:47 AM »
I'll definitely play through it sometime this month, but I'm always up for playing Spriggan. :)
You got a little practice run on the Evercon/Duophile stream :)

I've also been testing out my recently acquired mini with Spriggian. I'm not doing as well as I remember. I'm not gonna jump on the lag wagon, but the pad definitely feels different from a warn out 30 year old beater. I plan to play on OG hardware some time this month to make sure I'm just sucking at the the game and it's not the mini fault.

roflmao

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 04:22:00 PM »
You got a little practice run on the Evercon/Duophile stream :)

I've also been testing out my recently acquired mini with Spriggian. I'm not doing as well as I remember. I'm not gonna jump on the lag wagon, but the pad definitely feels different from a warn out 30 year old beater. I plan to play on OG hardware some time this month to make sure I'm just sucking at the the game and it's not the mini fault.

Yeah, there's definitely some lag going on with the Mini. :(

I can play through Ninja Spirit pretty easily on normal hardware and can't beat it on the Mini. And I haven't been able to beat Star Parodier or Spriggan on it yet, either. But I don't always beat those on regular hardware. I can't blame not finishing it during the stream on lag, though. I think I was a bit too tipsy, haha.

geise

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 08:26:29 PM »
Yeah lag sucks on all the mini's I have. Doesn't matter what display or tv setting I use. It's bad for shooters either way. I cant tell as much on platformers. Haven't done a full playthrough yet, but I did get a few 2 and 5 min runs in. Haven't broken my old scores yet.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 12:40:48 AM »
I'd like blame the lag, but I'm pretty sure I just suck.  I keep picking up orbs I don't want and end up with a less optimal weapon, plus general crap tier skills. Still a cool game though, with good visuals and tunes.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 12:09:36 PM »
I kinda gave up on playing on the mini and went back to my CRT and Duo. After messing with Bonk's Revenge, whatever is lagging (my LCD or the mini) was not fun for me. I do still use it to play Victory Run since the mini is conveniently located near my PC.

I managed a clear of Spriggian, but I did have to use one continue on the final stage. I used ROLFs' suggested blue/red weapon combo for most of the run. That worked pretty good, but I do still have some reservations about it. Mainly, when you drop a bomb or only have 2 orbs, it's not as effective versus my personal fav of yellow/green which maintains a decent fire power with only 2 orbs. I will comment that red/blue is more effective on the 2nd half of stage two with those plants that strike out at you when you're close to them.

roflmao

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 12:34:26 AM »
I kinda gave up on playing on the mini and went back to my CRT and Duo. After messing with Bonk's Revenge, whatever is lagging (my LCD or the mini) was not fun for me. I do still use it to play Victory Run since the mini is conveniently located near my PC.

I managed a clear of Spriggian, but I did have to use one continue on the final stage. I used ROLFs' suggested blue/red weapon combo for most of the run. That worked pretty good, but I do still have some reservations about it. Mainly, when you drop a bomb or only have 2 orbs, it's not as effective versus my personal fav of yellow/green which maintains a decent fire power with only 2 orbs. I will comment that red/blue is more effective on the 2nd half of stage two with those plants that strike out at you when you're close to them.

Both red/blue and green/yellow are great choices, and it's probably best to use a combination of them throughout the game. That takes more memorization, though. And I'm old. :D