Author Topic: Game of the Month: April 2021 - Popful Mail  (Read 694 times)

geise

Game of the Month: April 2021 - Popful Mail
« on: April 03, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »
Popful Mail

This is the version of Popful Mail I like the most. I love the sega cd version and am currently playing through it along side this version. It's also a super amazing game, but I have always enjoyed the gameplay of the pc88-98 games. This one is mostly the same game with better graphics, cutscenes and music. (to me anyways). I was hesitant doing a game of the month with a japanese rpg, but It's not a crazy long game so I feel it's doable to beat within the month. Hopefully a few of you already own this like I do cause it's dumb price now. Just about 2 years ago it was mostly a $60-$70 game. The arcade card I can't remember what it's doing. I feel it's load  times and maybe extra frames in the cutscenes. Anyways I hope you guys enjoy this one. Especially you necro. Lol.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 05:00:45 PM by geise »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: April 2021 - Popful Mail
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 12:32:25 AM »
Mmmm, Falcomy goodness.  I'm down for a replay and maybe a follow-up with a feka playthrough, but I want to finish up Lady Sword first.  I'm too le dumb to keep track of two games at once.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

kazekiri

• Basement Brothers
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 08:46:05 PM »
This one is mostly the same game with better graphics, cutscenes and music.

Don't forget that the PC Engine version also has the three added worlds where you have to play as each of the three characters!

Anyway, I have played through pretty much every version of this game, including the PC-98 version. (I have the PC-88 version as well but it is pretty much the same.) To me, the Sega CD version will always be the best. The graphics are much better than the other versions. As good as the other versions are too, the Sega CD one feels the most realized like they were able to take it to the level it needed to be at the time. It will always be one of my favorite games.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »
I finally got my shit together and started playing yesterday.  I'm currently stuck trying to free Slick from the cave-in.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 10:25:05 PM »
I'm through the volcano area and starting on Gaw's level.  Progress!

geise

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 09:16:14 PM »
I finally played a bit more. Finished up the mines. Was playing both sega cd and this in tandem, so I didn't get as far as I wanted to. I also have been playing ps4 spiderman with the kiddo and helping him with some parts. Standard fight stuff he's actually better than me. Lol. He didn't like how Popful Mail played but he goes "This has really nice music!"

geise

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 07:25:50 AM »
I never finished for the month, but I am close to the end on both versions. Still going to play and try to complete it even though there will be a late starting GotM going on. How far did you get necro? Complete it?

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 11:55:22 AM »
I didn't get much time this month to get some time on Popful, but a few months ago when I got my Mega SD, I did dump the iso on it and played for a hour or so for the first time. It'd very colorful and has nice animations. It might not be my jam, but I would like to try and play more later in life.

I know there are some fans of the game (looking at you, xele!) and would love to get a feel for their passion for it.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

geise

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 11:26:00 PM »
At least you got a little bit of time with it majors. I own the game still. My original release copy, but I was too lazy to break out the model 1 sega cd. So I just ended up playing it on the genesis with the mega sd pro as well. Play wise Popful on PCE is fairly different. To me I enjoy how it plays more on pce than the Sega CD.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 12:38:28 AM »
I got to the castle area (after ice area), so close to the end.  Now I'm out of town, though, so it's gonna be a few more days before I finish 'er up.

I also wanna play the FEKA version..... so many games, so little time!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 11:55:23 PM »
Woo-hoo!  I finally finished 'er off just now.  I still hate the final boss and his bullshit insta-death if you fall through the floor; what the elephant cock is the point of the fruit and potions if you're just gonna get whacked through the floor anyway?!?