Author Topic: TurboExpress Repair Advice Needed  (Read 655 times)

pacowles

TurboExpress Repair Advice Needed
« on: April 28, 2021, 08:08:51 PM »
Hello, all!

I’ve recently gotten back into collecting for PCE/TG16, and I came across a deal for a Turbo Express that I couldn’t pass up. It’s already been recapped, but it has two openings in the shell from a controller mod and video out mod that were removed for some reason. I’m not really sure of how to deal with these gaps, so I wanted to get input from this knowledgeable community on my options and best course of action.

My first instinct was to just fill the holes with Bondo or another epoxy, but that would be an eyesore, so I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions for a better approach. I assume finding a replacement shell, or even just a replacement back shell isn’t realistic. Would it be possible to have someone just re-add the controller/video out mods and make it look decent in the process? Not sure if the openings were cut correctly for that.

Given that the shell has already been cut, I’m wondering if I should also just go ahead and have the screen upgraded as well, as my only hesitation on that would be the need to cut the shell, and that ship has already sailed  :(. I’d welcome any thoughts on this as well.

I’ve attached some photos for context, but they were provided by the seller - the console is in transit to me, but I wanted to go ahead and start looking into my options. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I wanted to post a photo of the cutout from the inside, but the file size is too large to attach. Here is a link to the album with additional photos: https://m.imgur.com/a/USzHtAB. Should be the sixth photo in that list.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 09:17:34 PM by pacowles »

Keith Courage

Re: TurboExpress Repair Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 08:54:43 PM »
Well, this is what most people put in the bottom hole https://console5.com/store/mini-din-8-panel-mount-black-plastic-housing-pin-type.html

Not really sure what to tell you to do about the other one.

pacowles

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 09:44:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I assume the DIN connector is for a controller mod? If so, do you offer this mod with your install services? I’ve been lurking on this forum for a bit and I’ve seen you recommended as a trusted modder, so I definitely value your input.

Would any AV output mod take up even part of that other gap in the shell? If so, is it one that you would be able to install?

Just looking for all options before I try to fill it with black epoxy and/or cover it with a sticker  :|
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:07:00 PM by pacowles »

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 05:50:24 PM »
The port I posted the link for could be used as a Controller port or a RGB/component video out. Just would require a custom cable made for the video out.

I honestly can't think of any kind of port to put in the upper hole. I might be able to figure something out if I could see the console in person. The problem is how far back on the case the hole is because that part starts to curve around the back.

pacowles

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 09:48:13 PM »
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. The express arrived today, and it’s in great condition other than the holes. The top hole looks like it was cut cleanly and with a purpose in mind, so hopefully something useful can be done with it rather than just filling it with epoxy.

So with the DIN connector, I’m assuming it would require two of the ports to have both controller support and video out? Also, when you mentioned a custom cable for video out, did you mean something like a Retrovison cable with genesis model2 connector? Just wanted to make sure I’m following what you mean.

I’m interested in getting a price quote from you for a screen upgrade, controller port, and video out, along with any possible cleanup of the the hole that would presumably be mostly filled by one of the mods. If it seems like the holes are a lost cause, I’d still want the screen mod. Do you want to move this discussion to PM, or continue in this thread?

MasterofBiscuits

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 07:28:33 AM »
Hmm, someone made a mess of that. I did a controller/ RGB out mod not long ago using that same hole, I posted some details here: https://www.pcenginefans.com/forum/index.php?topic=23496.0

What you really need here is someone with a 3D printer who can make a piece for a mini din to sit in inside that hole. It could be a really simple flange that covers the edges of the hole with a smaller hole for the socket to sit in. I don't think it would look too bad.

pacowles

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 10:46:55 AM »
Hmm, someone made a mess of that. I did a controller/ RGB out mod not long ago using that same hole, I posted some details here: https://www.pcenginefans.com/forum/index.php?topic=23496.0

What you really need here is someone with a 3D printer who can make a piece for a mini din to sit in inside that hole. It could be a really simple flange that covers the edges of the hole with a smaller hole for the socket to sit in. I don't think it would look too bad.

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know anyone with the tools/skills to pull that off? I have zero experience with 3D printing, but it sounds like an awesome solution.

MasterofBiscuits

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 11:26:22 AM »
I'm afraid I don't - I'm sure there will be someone out there though. You could always try designing it yourself, or find someone to design it, and have it printed at somewhere like Shapeways.

xelement5x

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »
I love seeing that second hole as a way to use an external controller.  Makes it very much like a TG16 Switch or something where it can be used on the go, and plugged into your home display.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story