Author Topic: PC-Engine Controller problem (Pin 6 UP/1 buttons)  (Read 722 times)

Marty

PC-Engine Controller problem (Pin 6 UP/1 buttons)
« on: May 20, 2021, 01:34:29 AM »
Hey guys, recently got a PC-Engine console which does not respond to the UP or '1' Button.
I have tested with two controllers which do not respond so I assume it is something to do with the controller port itself.
Visually the port looks fine from the outside looking in, could be some debris within the port causing issues?
I have quickly inspected the pcb and solder joints don't look damaged, but I gather I should start off with reflowing them.

If anyone has experience/suggestions on how to approach, help would much be appreciated :D

Thanks!

Keith Courage

Re: PC-Engine Controller problem (Pin 6 UP/1 buttons)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:10:41 AM »
Unfortunately, if the Controller port itself tests okay, then the problem usually lies with the HU6280 Chip itself. You might get lucky and find a bad trace/connection to the chip which could fix it but there have been many times I've encountered this problem where it was the chip itself that was faulty.

Marty

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 08:42:23 AM »
Unfortunately, if the Controller port itself tests okay, then the problem usually lies with the HU6280 Chip itself. You might get lucky and find a bad trace/connection to the chip which could fix it but there have been many times I've encountered this problem where it was the chip itself that was faulty.
Forgive me as I am new to this, but what would be the best way to test out the controller port itself? I have seen a youtube video where the both the console and controller were opened whilst plugged in and a continuity check was done that way. Should I do it this way first? Thanks!

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 08:52:40 AM »
First unplug a cable from a controller. Then test each wire to the pins on the board of the PC engine controller port.

Marty

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 06:13:55 AM »
First unplug a cable from a controller. Then test each wire to the pins on the board of the PC engine controller port.
Got around to testing it and I do get continuity from my controller to the port itself, above the port there is a section labelled 'FL103' and I also seem to get a connection there too.

After 'FL103' I am not too sure where to follow through next to test, any directions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 10:40:51 PM »
CHeck and see if the traces from there make it to the pins on the HU6280 chip.