Author Topic: Game of the Month: June 2021 - Bloody Wolf  (Read 673 times)

geise

Game of the Month: June 2021 - Bloody Wolf
« on: June 02, 2021, 08:31:40 PM »
Bloody Wolf

Made the decision for Bloody Wolf. It's one I never given much time to play even though I've had it forever. I (for whatever reason) always find myself playing Last Alert instead. Probably cause of the fantastic voice acting. Lol! Anywho, it's a great game and I love data east. It's actually a pretty good port from the arcade game. It was the reason I got it back in the day. Used to play it often when I'd go to Aladdin's Castle to get some gaming on. Decided on this also cause I didn't want an RPG to play through again and something I can just pick up and play. Enjoy guys.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: June 2021 - Bloody Wolf
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 11:08:31 PM »
Bloody Wooof!  I've also not put a ton of time into this one.  I don't really dislike it, but it's never really grabbed my attention.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Gentlegamer

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 10:28:12 AM »
Nice, I can go back to Bloody Wolf, my playthrough a while back was halted when the game froze/glitched on a late stage.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »
Another good call. This one grew on me after a while, it has a different graphic and music style that I learned to love. I'm definitely _not_ gonna 1cc this beast, but I will happily credit feed it to a ending. That last boss is a bitch with just a knife.

What does everyone name their player character? I end up usually using "WEDOC" even though I can't fit that last "A"
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Gentlegamer

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 05:40:08 PM »
I have an announcement: the hostage stage knife boss is bullshit.

That is all.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 04:44:07 PM »
I reached the last boss and had to quit because I was getting controller thumb from trying to juke all his patterns.

Unless someone has a hot protip that may be as far as I get.

MrFulci

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 07:46:15 PM »
I reached the last boss and had to quit because I was getting controller thumb from trying to juke all his patterns.

Unless someone has a hot protip that may be as far as I get.

Only pro-tip I have for you, is to be patient. The end boss is some crap, and from what I recall, when you continue, you get less life bars, that makes it more of a pain. I posted a tactic I used, on the old pcefx board, but that's gone, so.... some of that board is archived here, let me see if I did post that tactic... I can't find it, it may have been in a thread that got pruned. There seems to be some Bloody Wolf posts of mine, gone.

Anyway, I last played through the game about 5-7 years ago, but from what I recall, it was frustrating the crap out of me, the final boss. However there is a bit of a pattern, and from what I recall, if you hung out in the corner, you could land some good hits on him. There is a bit of a pattern to him, however, with those 3 life bars, it can be frustrating, though it is possible. What made it worse, years ago, is that i did not recall having as much difficulty beating the game in the 90s, and mid 00s. I am thinking that is because I beat the final boss on the first go, with all health, etc. I do recall the most recent time i beat that game, thinking to myself, "I don't remember it being this difficult".... Could be age catching up, but I like to think it's from those 3 life bars on the continue!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 12:43:37 PM »
It has been a while since I put time in this game. I had forgotten the 2nd end boss has a different pattern (and you have your gun instead of just a knife). I NEVER knew that there was a vest item on the 1st stage, that def helps out with the 1st final boss. I love the 2nd half of the game when you rescue your comrade, it's like twice the content of the arcade. After playing it more this month, I can see it is 1cc-able.

I booted up the arcade version to have a nostalgia walk down memory lane (my local Putt Putt had it) and through happenstance learned that the PCB is based on PCE/TG-16 hardware. So cool!
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator

geise

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 08:49:41 PM »
Yeah I was never able to clear it this month. I got to the end but just couldn't do it. I'll give it a go again after my thumbs rest. Couldn't do it this month.