Author Topic: Game of the Month: July 2021 - Super Star Soldier  (Read 707 times)

geise

Game of the Month: July 2021 - Super Star Soldier
« on: July 01, 2021, 09:02:26 PM »
SUPER STAR SOLDIER

Another month. Another game. This time Super Star Soldier. I had another one in mind but didn't want anyone throwing their controller out the window. So, another Soldier game. Time to get playing and post some scores. Get that 1CC!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: Game of the Month: July 2021 - Super Star Soldier
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 10:08:26 PM »
Nice. The sequels always get the mentions but there is nothing wrong with SSS. Nice color, quick game play and music fits great. (Okay, maybe the weapons are 'meh compared to other games). It'll be nice to re-re-visit this bad boy!

Unfortunately, I sliced my thumb while cutting a watermelon for my 4th bash (aka 3rd Strike of July) so I'm a little handycapped until it heals. Luckily I did just get in a Hori "Fighting Stick PC" that I've been wanting JUST for shmups, so this will be a perfect time to give it a good test. I did swap out the stick with a JLF w/ octo gate because it's what I'm used to...is that cheating?

I'm playing the JP version, it seems harder from what I remember my US copy was (that I sold)...but I'm older. Is there any substantial differences? That 4 level boss (green mech that shoots it's arms) has always been my "this is where it gets hard" moment, but I'm encouraged to put in more games and get good :)

Sorry I'm not active on the discord to weigh in of your picks geise, but you've been solid on the picks so far. And lets face it, you could only go wrong if you chose a SNES game :)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

roflmao

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 12:59:21 AM »
Nice. The sequels always get the mentions but there is nothing wrong with SSS. Nice color, quick game play and music fits great. (Okay, maybe the weapons are 'meh compared to other games). It'll be nice to re-re-visit this bad boy!

Unfortunately, I sliced my thumb while cutting a watermelon for my 4th bash (aka 3rd Strike of July) so I'm a little handycapped until it heals. Luckily I did just get in a Hori "Fighting Stick PC" that I've been wanting JUST for shmups, so this will be a perfect time to give it a good test. I did swap out the stick with a JLF w/ octo gate because it's what I'm used to...is that cheating?

I'm playing the JP version, it seems harder from what I remember my US copy was (that I sold)...but I'm older. Is there any substantial differences? That 4 level boss (green mech that shoots it's arms) has always been my "this is where it gets hard" moment, but I'm encouraged to put in more games and get good :)

That boss is where it "gets hard" for me too. And I'm also playing the JP version, but I don't think I ever got close to finishing the US version bitd, either!

I just moved and haven't set up my crts and vintage consoles yet, but hope to get some SSS in before the end of the month.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 09:07:25 AM »
Been giving SSS a good run this month, no clear yet and stuck on stage 6.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

geise

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 02:27:40 PM »
I've been so bad playing this game this month. Did a few runs at the beginning but nothing lately. I will get some time before the month is over. I really need to work on the 2 min run. I have really not done much with 2 min on this game for over a decade. I forget most of where stuff is.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 06:38:50 PM »
I had a few runs over the month, but never made it past level 7.  That one run was actually the best I've ever done, but the rest had me fucked in level 5 or the beginning of 6.

Tis a sweet game, but damn is it tough.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles