Author Topic: PC Engine IFU + CD ROMROM Issues  (Read 754 times)

xelement5x

PC Engine IFU + CD ROMROM Issues
« on: August 03, 2021, 07:14:48 PM »
So I just got a new (to me) IFU Briefcase, white PCE and CD-ROMROM.

Got myself a new IFU power supply as recommended from here (9V, 2.5A): http://www.firebrandx.com/triads.html

PC seems to work fine from my testing.  Boots up, outputs video, games are playable.

With the new power adapter I attempt to start CDRomRom with an audio CD. 
I hit play and the track LED comes on and says zero but the laser sled doesn't move and nothing happens.  I hear a small hum from within the unit itself once I turn it on an nothing happens.  I already tried to nudge the sled a bit and did so, but it didn't fix any issues. The laser did appear to have a bit of a red flash in it so it may be working?

IFU, with the PCE connected and using the same power supply I get no video output.  The LED on the case doesn't turn on either.

Anyone have suggestions on where best to start? 
I'll assume that the CD probably needs caps, and I've heard that gears are a bit of an issue.
IFU I'm not sure, do those ever need to be recapped as well?  Maybe a voltage regulator?
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

xelement5x

Re: PC Engine IFU + CD ROMROM Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 01:00:53 PM »
Update, took the CDROMROM apart this morning while I had a bit and did some exploration.

Capacitors look pretty good.  No bulging or leaking from what I could tell.
However, the infamous gear in the middle is cracked and has worn teeth.  The grease on the metal worm gear also looks pretty gross so I figure I'll tackle those two first. 

I've got some Tamiya for the worm gear and have cleaned and greased gears plenty of times on LD players so not concerned there.

Any suggestions on where to get a replacement CD ROMROM gear?  I see one person on ebay selling them at about $20 shipped which seems kind of high to me, I'd entertain other recommendations if someone has one.

Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 07:42:02 AM »
I have some. How about $10 shipped? Just send me a PM.

xelement5x

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 11:58:27 AM »
I have some. How about $10 shipped? Just send me a PM.

Thank you for offering! I was actually asking around in the discord last night and Gohan helped me out with one, but if I decide I need another I'll probably hit you up for sure.   :thumbsup:

Not sure what happened, the supply just seemed to dry up at one point.  There is a guy in Japan selling replacements as well it looks like too if we start to run out again.

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 06:26:51 PM »
It's international shipping problems due to covid.

xelement5x

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 12:58:26 PM »
It's international shipping problems due to covid.

That honestly makes a lot of sense.

Got my gear from Gohan the other day and spent some time following the guide here:
https://console5.com/wiki/Turbo_Grafx_CD_Gear_Cleaning
Fully disassembled everything and did the cleaning/regrease with some Tamiya I had on had for fixing LD players.  Then put the new gear in and it seems to be working like a charm with audio CDs! 

But man, that tiny little washer on the gear is no joke when it comes to being careful.  I had it pop off once and was like, turn on every light around me and look with my magnifying goggles.  Found it stuck to my jeans pant leg and got it on after that.

IFU will be the next step I guess once I get some more time.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 02:48:28 PM »
But man, that tiny little washer on the gear is no joke when it comes to being careful.  I had it pop off once and was like, turn on every light around me and look with my magnifying goggles.  Found it stuck to my jeans pant leg and got it on after that.

There are two types of ppl in this world; Those that have lost "retaining e-clips" on ROMROM repairs and those that have not yet :) Console5 sells them in packs of two, I bet b/c folks have them fly off all the time.

As for the IFU not getting power, time to bust her open and start tracing the power line. Maybe it's just a cold joint on the barrel plug. I forget if there is a replaceable fuse in there or not. I feel the IFU is the cheapest part to buy out of the voltron "briefcase" so if it's dead (Jim!), getting a replacement won't break the bank.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

xelement5x

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 09:04:16 PM »

There are two types of ppl in this world; Those that have lost "retaining e-clips" on ROMROM repairs and those that have not yet :) Console5 sells them in packs of two, I bet b/c folks have them fly off all the time.

As for the IFU not getting power, time to bust her open and start tracing the power line. Maybe it's just a cold joint on the barrel plug. I forget if there is a replaceable fuse in there or not. I feel the IFU is the cheapest part to buy out of the voltron "briefcase" so if it's dead (Jim!), getting a replacement won't break the bank.

HA!  So I dug into this a bit more.  I am apparently just an idiot who has never used an IFU before.
Didn't realize you needed to flip up and move over that little lock switch in the front.  Once I did that everything worked like a charm with the newly repaired CD-ROMROM!

Another repair in the books, next step may be to see if I can brighten them up a bit.  I've heard pretty good stuff about just leaving items in the sunlight even without the peroxide.  Might give it a try soon as we've been having very sunny days recently.