Author Topic: Duo - No Video  (Read 604 times)

SonicBlastMan

Duo - No Video
« on: August 08, 2021, 09:37:33 AM »
So long story short, I purchased a working Duo, I recapped it and worked great afterwards.

The previous owner had attempted some bodge of an RGB mod, so I wanted to remove what they'd done and put a proper rgb amp in.

I removed the din socket to tidy up and boy i wish i didnt....I found the 8pin din they had put in was a disgrace. They'd fucked the via-through holes for ground, +5v AND video!! They've ALSO managed to pull the pad pin 44 on the 6260 was soldered to (pin 44 is still there, just)

I put it all back together and now have audio but no video (black screen)

Questions:

- Can I just tap into another ground and +5v source direct from the board and hook up to the din connector?
- Where does the composite video originate from on pin1 of the din socket? I'll need to tap the source direct to the din pin

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 10:09:41 AM by SonicBlastMan »

Keith Courage

Re: Duo - No Video
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 01:22:46 PM »
Just follow the traces for the Din socket and solder wires to the correct places. Luckily they are pretty easy to see on that part of the board. Hold the board up to a light so you can see where the traces go if needed.

SonicBlastMan

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
Hi Keith

Can I just tap into another ground and +5v source direct from the board and hook up to the din connector?

I have tried following pin 44 from the 6260 and from the video pin on the din but they must both be routed through the middle of the board - I cant see where they meet up. Have tried holding up to the light but cannot see where they route through the board. I imagine pin 44 comes out through the other side of the board through a via but I cant see which one....

EDIT: answered my own questions and all fixed up
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:42:45 PM by SonicBlastMan »

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 05:29:04 PM »
I thought you said the traces were bad at the DIN socket. You should be able to see where the traces for the Din socket go from the bottom of the board. Here are the solder points to run your wires to if you are just repairing the Din pins. 5 Volts is circled in Blue.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 08:30:07 AM by Keith Courage »

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 07:12:38 AM »
Another cause of no video in a Black DUO is when the traces for the 470UF cap near the power switch have been damaged from someone borking a capacitor change. So check the connections for that capacitor.