Author Topic: Galaxy Fraulein Yuna translation  (Read 1326 times)

Supper

Galaxy Fraulein Yuna translation
« on: August 26, 2021, 11:11:12 AM »
Well, here's another translation I don't think anyone actually wanted but I somehow ended up making anyway... In conjunction with Mafoo343, I'm happy to present a complete translation patch for Galaxy Fraulein Yuna!

Get it here: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6247/

Video of the intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9x0pYeSxdU

Galaxy Fraulein Yuna is one of the many PCECD proto-visual novels that never stood a chance of getting an official translation thanks to having too much text, too many voice-overs, lots of singing, excessive quantities of scantily-clad girls, etc. With over an hour of cutscenes, getting this into English was a daunting task. But thanks to over a collective year of work, you can now fully enjoy this audiovisual extravaganza (complete with some gameplay)! All the text is translated, all the visual scenes are subbed, and by some miracle so are the songs. We even translated the manual.

Here's the advertising copy:

Yuna Kagurazaka was just your ordinary high school girl in the year 2299 – a bit carefree and more than a little absent-minded, but nothing special…until she won the Galaxy Fraulein Contest and rocketed to idol stardom! But when her fellow contestants begin disappearing one by one only to turn up wearing power armor and trying to kill her, she discovers her true destiny: she is the Savior of Light, protector of the galaxy, and must fight to keep the forces of darkness from conquering the universe! Can Yuna take down the evil Thirteen Frauleins of Darkness, or will hinging the fate of the cosmos on the whims of a flighty teenage girl prove a colossal mistake?…Possibly both.

Ginga Ojousama Densetsu Yuna, officially translated as Galaxy Fraulein Yuna, is a 1992 adventure game (visual novel/digicomic) by Red Company and Will for the PC-Engine Super CD-ROM² system, and the first entry in the Galaxy Fraulein Yuna series. Originally inspired by a series of illustrations of Gundam mecha anthropomorphized as cute girls, the concept was reworked into an original video game property and eventually achieved considerable success amidst Japan's mid-to-late-'90s galge boom, becoming the basis for a string of games, several albums, multiple art CDs, and two OVA series – out of which only the OVAs ever saw release outside Japan.

This was the most involved PCE translation I've worked on yet -- actually, probably the most involved translation project I've done period. Though the raw script size is more or less on par with the Sailor Moon game (which is by no means small), the quantity of cutscenes is massive in comparison. I think both my previous PCECD projects had less than ten minutes of visual scenes total; Yuna has over an hour. Not only are those really hard to translate, the PC-Engine was absolutely not in any way designed to do subtitles, so I had to get pretty creative to get those in. But somehow I managed, and I'm quite happy with the results. Or at least I will be until it turns out it doesn't work on real hardware for some reason, then I'll be very sad :(

Also, as with previous translations, I've modified the game so you can skip voiced lines. PCECD games sure didn't want you to miss out on that voice acting, huh?

Thanks to Cargodin, Weedeater, Athena, Momochi, HeirTransparent, SilverLupin, and TheMajinZenki for various forms of translation support on this project, and to cccmar, Cargodin, and Xanathis for testing.

There's no denying it's a very niche game, but I hope some of you will enjoy this one!

xelement5x

Re: Galaxy Fraulein Yuna translation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 01:15:52 PM »
Just saw this on Twitter and was super excited to see it released! 
Thanks for doing another translation Supper, you are the best  :clap: :clap:
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

roflmao

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 03:37:39 PM »
This is awesome news! Thanks so much! I've been working my way through the game and this will make it so much easier. :)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 05:33:14 PM »
This is incredible!!  Thank you for all the work you've done!  JAWESOME!  i can't wait to finally play this and understand it a bit better!

haha, thanks again!!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 08:34:54 PM »
Sweet!  It'll be fun to replay this one and get more out of the story.  Thanks, supper!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

xelement5x

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 12:18:24 PM »
Supper, when I was looking at the readme I noticed an error. 

In the redump link for the original Yuna release you've provided: http://redump.org/disc/37150/ and this is actually the Madou redump link.

I think you want this link instead: http://redump.org/disc/31791/
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 07:18:37 PM »
This is amazeballs! Yuna is one of my favorite things. Gonna fire this up tonight on twitch :D Thanks for all the hard work you have put into this. Yuna is definitely one of those series more people would love if it was more accessible so thanks again!  :yuki:
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

Supper

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 10:33:14 PM »
Thanks, everybody!

By the way, since it came up on the PCE Bible board: I have no idea about Yuna 2 at this point (and I mean that literally, I haven't even played it yet). I'm not ruling out the possibility of doing it at some point, assuming there's a willing victim to assume the role of translator, but I haven't made any plans for it either. We'll just see what happens.

Supper, when I was looking at the readme I noticed an error. 

In the redump link for the original Yuna release you've provided: http://redump.org/disc/37150/ and this is actually the Madou redump link.

I think you want this link instead: http://redump.org/disc/31791/

Haha, whoops. That's the last thing I would have expected to screw up in all the copy-pasting from the old readme, but I guess that's how it slipped by. At least the correct name and hash data is there, so there's not too much harm done. For the sake of not flooding RHDN with a bunch of submissions, I'll probably give it a few days before I fix it to see if anyone else reports other issues.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 10:55:49 AM »
Yuna 2 would be awesome too.  And then maybe Yuna FX?

I know, I'm a greedy bastard.   :icon_cat_derpy:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Escaeva

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 09:26:58 AM »
Wow this is amazing! Thank you so much for your hard work I really appreciate it. I've been wanting to play this game for so long, you are legendary!

I'm going to spread the word  :yuki: