Author Topic: Post first impressions of TG-16 emulation -> 11.27.06: SSS, DE & Victory Run  (Read 1778 times)

esteban

Hi folks. Since Super Star Soldier, Dungeon Explorer and Victory Run are now available via VC, I would love to hear some of your first impressons.

I'm talking primarily to folks who have played the HuCards on real hardware (not via PC emulation). If I had a Wii, these are the impressions I would love to be posting myself. Alas, for now, I'll have to rely on you folks :).

jlued mentioned (in another thread) that Bonk's Adventure seemed a bit "off" and said it seemed as if there were flickering in VC not found on real hardware.

I'd love to hear about any & all TG-16 titles available, not simply the ones released today.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:19:51 AM by stevek666 »
  |    | 

goat

I have Super Star Soldier on virtual console. My wii is hooked up to a standard definition CRT TV (if you get a wii you owe yourself a nice quality SD CRT for, if nothing else, the virtual console for nes!)

The nes virtual console games look awesome. It seems true 240p: each scanline is at the same location each frame creating the horizontal black lines that are always visible. It looks completely crisp and nice, even with wii composite video (I don't have component cables yet). It's how I'd imagine the original nes to look if it had come with component out. I love it.

The TG-16 virtual console isn't so nice :( : :( : (: ( :(  It's either being emulated with blurred textures or else the output is interlaced: it looks a little blurry and no crisp scanlines. I was a little sad.

I do own the pc-engine version of super soldier but I haven't done side-by-side tests and I'm not totally familiar with the original from memory. The virtual console on level 7(?) sometimes had the attacking ships moving *under* the turrets of the big battlestation type thing that scrolls by as you progress through the level (while being shown *on top* of the battleship's body). I noticed it while pausing, but that's not to say it didn't happen while playing. It was an obvious depth/display issue (not related to gameplay). I don't know if the original does that or not.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 05:46:57 AM by goat »

esteban

I have Super Star Soldier on virtual console. My wii is hooked up to a standard definition CRT TV (if you get a wii you owe yourself a nice quality SD CRT for, if nothing else, the virtual console for nes!)

The nes virtual console games look awesome. It seems true 240p: each scanline is at the same location each frame creating the horizontal black lines that are always visible. It looks completely crisp and nice, even with wii composite video (I don't have component cables yet). It's how I'd imagine the original nes to look if it had come with component out. I love it.

The TG-16 virtual console isn't so nice :( : :( : (: ( :(  It's either being emulated with blurred textures or else the output is interlaced: it looks a little blurry and no crisp scanlines. I was a little sad.

I do own the pc-engine version of super soldier but I haven't done side-by-side tests and I'm not totally familiar with the original from memory. The virtual console on level 7(?) sometimes had the attacking ships moving *under* the turrets of the big battlestation type thing that scrolls by as you progress through the level (while being shown *on top* of the battleship's body). I noticed it while pausing, but that's not to say it didn't happen while playing. It was an obvious depth/display issue (not related to gameplay). I don't know if the original does that or not.
Ahhhh, thanks for the description. I was particularly interested in the blurry vs. crisp issue. Can anyone else comment on some of the observations made by goat (and, earlier, by jlued)? Thanks in advance.
  |    | 

Pcenginefx

I too have noticed a slight blur when playing TG-16 games.  I'd like to try with a better connector than composite...
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

grendelrt

I have mine hooked up with component, when I get a TG16 game, I will take a pic with a digicam or something. Still havent decided which game to grab.

goat

I received component cables and retried the virtual console (same standard def CRT tv). Moving from composite to component makes all virtual console games a little cleaner, but the TG emulator still lags behind the others in terms of crispiness. In SSS, bullets are definitely going underneath turrets on level 7 (still don't know if the actual console does that).

Black Tiger

Of the little time I've spent so far with several VC TG-16 games(via component progressive scan), they all appear to be more or less perfectly emulated. They do sound a little weird when played through surround sound.

The only hitch is that blurring filter effect(just like Capcom's Classic Collections), which I assume is a result of the image being scaled/stretched to 480p. The one time I tried playing my real actual Duo with S-Video on my LCD, it was choppy and ugly(since it sucks at 240i).

But VC games look fine, and my TV would display the new signal info it it did change formats when launching a Turbo game,so it must be 480p.

Which makes VC gaming worth the high price of admission. Plus, even with the blurring, it's still a clearer crisper picture than you can get from composite on a real console and more importantly, it has the nice vibrant color that you only get to see through emulation or an rgb/s-video mod.

I just hope that we get the opportunity to pay a one time fee to run CD games. I'd glady drop 2000 points for that.

EDIT: right after posting that, I fired up Super Star Soldier for the first time, a game I haven't really played on real hardware before. Although I never noticed anything going behing anything, on the second stage, at the same spot a power up often gets frozen in place or places for a while. The first time it happened, a green power up got stuck behind my score until I went after it and kind of pushed it around till it came loose.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 09:04:35 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Michael Helgeson

The filter type blur you all are refering to comes from running 2d graphics on more advanced 3d hardware with better filters. This began to occur around the same time Hardware T&L occured oddly enough. Anymore these days to get a emulator to run in software you have to use  a non-TnL type graphics card like a Voodoo 3-5 or possibly run something in Dos or tell the emu to run in a software display mode (lower then 640x480 helps)  if thats even possible.

Given this is the Wii its doubtful they are going to have it run any emu in anything other then the highest res possible and they are going to run it with filters on ect ect...

Black Tiger

The filter type blur you all are refering to comes from running 2d graphics on more advanced 3d hardware with better filters. This began to occur around the same time Hardware T&L occured oddly enough. Anymore these days to get a emulator to run in software you have to use  a non-TnL type graphics card like a Voodoo 3-5 or possibly run something in Dos or tell the emu to run in a software display mode (lower then 640x480 helps)  if thats even possible.

Given this is the Wii its doubtful they are going to have it run any emu in anything other then the highest res possible and they are going to run it with filters on ect ect...

Shouldn't it be easy for something like the Wii to calculate out the emulated games scaled out how they literally look, independant of using the video card to stretch them?

Aren't the Genesis and SNES VC games supposed to be crystal clear?

Michael Helgeson

Shouldn't it be easy for something like the Wii to calculate out the emulated games scaled out how they literally look, independant of using the video card to stretch them?

Aren't the Genesis and SNES VC games supposed to be crystal clear?

Well,to be honest with you it probably would be possible,but be careful what you wish for. If you want to see what happens  get a older voodoo 3500 and run it to your TV for emulation. You prob wont like how it looks because in software the games wont look like the native systems either by much,if at all. Typically it ends up looking ass ugly,where as the filters do some heavy clean up when run in hardware. If you want visuals that match the original system exactly then you should stick to using the original system. Video output is going to be defined by the hardware used.

Black Tiger

I'm really curious to see how the Genesis and SNES VC games look now. I'll have to wait a week till I can afford another points card though...

goat

The filter type blur you all are refering to comes from running 2d graphics on more advanced 3d hardware with better filters.
It's not the hardware's fault: programmers have the choice of what filter to apply.  It's the fact the programmer engaged a filtering mode that was designed to help with scaling and rotation of textures: something that's not needed for turbo grafx emulation. I'm assuming the emulators use textured primitives to display the sprites. If your source images were meant to map 1 to 1 with the display, leave filtering off. Maybe they thought they were getting a free anti-aliasing effect. Whatever the case, it looks bad.

Black Tiger

Hi folks. Since Super Star Soldier, Dungeon Explorer and Victory Run are now available via VC, I would love to hear some of your first impressons.

I'm talking primarily to folks who have played the HuCards on real hardware (not via PC emulation). If I had a Wii, these are the impressions I would love to be posting myself. Alas, for now, I'll have to rely on you folks :).

jlued mentioned (in another thread) that Bonk's Adventure seemed a bit "off" and said it seemed as if there were flickering in VC not found on real hardware.

I'd love to hear about any & all TG-16 titles available, not simply the ones released today.

So far, all the VC games have muffled, tinny, rebalanced sound with various game by game differences. I've got a page with examples along with a bunch of other VC content I'll be unveiling soon.

Bomberman '93's the most different so far. The Battle Mode music is wrecked and the bomb explosion sound effect has been replaced.

As for the filter, after doing a series of screen captures from Turbo & Wii hardware, it looks like the VC TG-16 emulation its so blurred that composite and S-Video look identical. But the picture is nice and vibrant like a Duo with an S-Video or RGB mod and makes the Duo composite picture almost look b&w.

esteban

So far, all the VC games have muffled, tinny, rebalanced sound with various game by game differences. I've got a page with examples along with a bunch of other VC content I'll be unveiling soon.

Bomberman '93's the most different so far. The Battle Mode music is wrecked and the bomb explosion sound effect has been replaced.

As for the filter, after doing a series of screen captures from Turbo & Wii hardware, it looks like the VC TG-16 emulation its so blurred that composite and S-Video look identical. But the picture is nice and vibrant like a Duo with an S-Video or RGB mod and makes the Duo composite picture almost look b&w.
Awesome, I can't wait to hear your impressions of the games you've played and see what you'll add to your site! :)

For folks who are interested in this topic (TG-16's somewhat lackluster emulation in VC), I suggest you check out these threads:

1. Husdon forums: Military Madness is poorly emulated in VC

Be sure to check out the post by 9Nails, since he disscusses Bomberman '93 and even posted videos (DUO vs. Wii VC) on YouTube:

Direct link to YouTube:

NOTE: Military Madness is truly, truly bad! The scrolling is choppy and the music slows down! As you can imagine, this crappy emulation really, really hurts the flow of the game and makes it a chore to play. MM was not the quickest game to begin with, slowing it down further makes it unappealing to new audiences! Hudson is really lame on this one, as far as I am concerned. Folks paid good money, goddammit. The least they could provide was adequate emulation.

3. Hudson responds: Addressing Turbo Emulation on Nintendo Wii Virtual Console.

Be sure to read John Master Lee's post, since he has provided the only official response from Hudson about the emulation issues... and he didn't reveal much... but he does hint at why the filtering was chosen... can any of you guys figure it out?

Here's the relevant section (emphasis added!):

Quote from: John Master Lee @ Hudson
The Wii hardware is distinct, so there are distinct technical challenges, and there are distinct rules we have to follow as a matter of policy regarding how emulation needs to be handled. The emulator that we currently use is following these technical specs and guidelines. And no, despite conspiracy theorists, we are not deliberately trying to mask dated graphics, because the Turbo system still has some of the most impressive graphics of its generation. I may be throwing you guys too much of a bone here, but if you actually study the differences in the graphics between some of the original game and the new VC versions, you may actually figure out why the graphics are filtered at this stage. OK, I can say no more.

So, can any of you folks figure out what Master Lee is hinting at the close of this passage?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 01:04:42 PM by stevek666 »
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

I don't understand why that dude can't talk more about the filters.  Why would such a thing be so secret?  What a douche.