Author Topic: New map engine for the PC-Engine - HuSlayer by Turboxray  (Read 1306 times)

Mr^Burns

New map engine for the PC-Engine - HuSlayer by Turboxray
« on: October 10, 2021, 11:42:46 AM »
https://youtu.be/kU7myUxemZg
I've had this idea of years now. The PCE can throw around sprites pretty easily. Enough that you can make a tilemap layer with it. So that's what this is; an object map system that uses meta-sprites. Right now, the support is up to size 32x32, but I'm adding in support for 32x64 as well. No dynamic/animated tiles. The resource is very lite.. I have about 40% cpu left per frame.. and that's with actual game logic happening, collision detection, enemy AI routines, music playing, samples playing via TIRQ/DDA, and line scrolls on the BG layer. And that's with this demo rebuilding everything from scratch per frame - the object map, all the enemy sprites from metasprites, player sprites, etc.

Recorded from a real PCE. The music engine is just a work in progress deflemask player. The samples for the sound FX were just a quick grab from SOR2 for testing.

Credit: Fragmare for his PCE cover of SOR intro, and michirin for her player/enemy sprites.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 12:16:04 PM by Mr^Burns »

roflmao

Re: New map engine for the PC-Engine - HuSlayer by Turboxray
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 11:28:50 PM »
Wow, very cool!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »
I can't say I truly understand this, but anything that helps people make games is awesome.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DarkKobold

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 05:38:35 PM »
I can't say I truly understand this, but anything that helps people make games is awesome.

He's letterboxing both sides of the screen, so that he doesn't exceed 256px of sprites on X axis (which is what leads to sprite drop). This means that he can have the ground be composed of sprites instead of the standard tiles. This means the entire background layer can be used as far parallax, which is akin to the first level of Sonic 1.
Hey, you.

esteban

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 09:54:47 PM »
Forgive me for this bump... I was just curious if there were any further demos/developments with HuSlayer?

ktnxbye.
  |    | 

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 10:04:22 AM »
Forgive me for this bump... I was just curious if there were any further demos/developments with HuSlayer?

ktnxbye.

This just dropped last night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iq8nQ2Bd80

esteban

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 02:39:44 PM »
Such awesomeness.  :pcgs:
  |    |