Author Topic: Game of the Month: February 2022 - Sol Moonarge  (Read 821 times)

geise

Game of the Month: February 2022 - Sol Moonarge
« on: February 03, 2022, 10:46:25 AM »
SOL MOONARGE

So, this is an RPG I've never finished. I emulated it a lot and played a burned copy on the Duo as well. I always liked it but never really put the time into it. Now that my recent Secret Santa was awesome and got it for me, it was time to put this game up as GotM. Being February and the shortest month I don't know how much time I'll get to put into this wonderful game, but I will do my best. It really is a wonderful game. It will be a nice departure from January's GotM. Lol. Happy gaming everyone.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: February 2022 - Sol Moonarge
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 06:46:31 PM »
Woo-hoo, an RPG!  I hope we can beat this one; it looks pretty cool, with a unique art style.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 12:44:28 AM »
I'm finally through the first dungeon and boss.  Two things: first, what's up with the unskippable simultaneous English and Japanese voice over on start up; second, the dungeon enemies are weaker than the ones outside, so don't spend as much time as I did grinding before entering.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 09:01:43 AM »
I have also been putting a few hours in to Sol. After how Tatsujin made me feel, I needed something a little less demanding :) I'm not one to play moon rune RPGs but I have in the past a couple of times so I'm not too alien to the idea. I get a little enjoyment from figuring out some of the menus and catching a cut scene or two. I have no aspirations of a clear, but if I can get a few levels and explore a bit, it'll leave me with a better understanding of the game so I can talk about it with some knowledge in the future.

...what's up with the unskippable simultaneous English and Japanese voice over on start up
Pretty sure if you select+run it skips(reset has been disabled it seems)...that or mashing button I+II. I know I have been able to abort the "translated" opening when I load my save :)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 10:05:05 PM »
Ah, thanks for the tip!  That intro is dumb!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 08:12:12 AM »
So I beat the werewolf in the first tower and now seem stuck. Since no walkthrough to be found, and tips from the group? I have some magic (A and D), do I need some a specific spell to continue forward? I think I've talked to everyone in the two towns and the carnival tent in day and night so it could be a missing item I need or need to equip. Thanks.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 11:42:09 PM »
I stumbled around for a good bit there too.  You're trying to find / follow some priest guy, and you can get some idea of where he went from a journal or something found in his bed; he lives in the castle on the floor with three rooms - left is the king's, center is the queen's, and right is the priest's.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 11:42:28 AM »
Bingo, just had to mess around the old man bed :)

Unfortunately, my EMU crashed when running the cut scene when you enter the rock tower <?> in the next segment. I may not try again but I did have a few hours for me to experience a new RPG. Thanks geise!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 09:51:37 PM »
Well, shit.....
I think I'm near the end, but I can't figure out where to go or what to do next.  There's one square of the map still concealed, but I can't see any way in to reveal what's there; there's a towery looking thing near the lava town, but no way to get to it either; and there's a treasure chest (in the first dungeon) that I can open but can't take the goods.   :icon_cat_derpy:

geise

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 07:57:26 PM »
I fought Long Nose or whatever his name is in the one dungeon. I still have a bit to go. Not even sure how far along I am. I have a good majority of the map covered. Still playing it though. Seeing it through till the end. Even if this GotM is over. I really like this game.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 11:41:03 PM »
I'm a day late, but I finished it off.  It's a damn good rpg, though the final boss feels kinda cheap; he's much tougher than the two bosses immediately prior, forcing you to backtrack and grind a few levels.

geise

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 03:25:12 PM »
Nice on the clear. I'm going to try to finish it up this weekend.