Author Topic: Game of the Month: August 2022 - Cosmic Fantasy  (Read 564 times)

geise

Game of the Month: August 2022 - Cosmic Fantasy
« on: August 05, 2022, 11:58:19 AM »
COSMIC FANTASY

Time to play through this series. I've only ever finished CF2 which is kinda silly since I've never played through the first. Encounter rate aside I enjoyed CF2 and will get back to it again after I finish this one. This was a game I didn't pick up till recently. I got it from one of you lovely folks for SS this past Xmas. Don't think it will be a super long game, but I have been wanting to play it for a good while. Hope others are in an RPG mood.

seieienbu

Re: Game of the Month: August 2022 - Cosmic Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 12:24:31 PM »
I played this in college after downloading it from the old DC++ hub.  It was grind-y to be sure but I recall liking it alright.  This is the only Cosmic Fantasy (I think) that I don't own so I went ahead and bought a copy off of ebay.  I'll play some when it comes in though I honestly don't know if I can find the time to beat it in a month these days.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 12:22:58 AM »
I'm out of town for a bit, but I look forward to replaying this when I get home.  It's a goody, much like CF2, the good and the bad.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 12:31:04 AM »
I finally got started tonight, though I'm not very far along.  I'm through the first dungeon and in the second town!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 09:47:41 PM »
This will be a rough one for me but I did drop a few hours on Sol not to long ago, so I should be maladjusted. CF2 was a grind for sure back in the 90's but I was starved for rpgs back then and, managed a clear. I hope this one at least has cut scenes :)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 06:21:47 PM »
This is a good enough reason to at least give it a shot. I've been streaming some action/platformers on twitch lately and in the mood for an RPG. How challenging is this one for someone clearly out of practice of moon-runes?

Also, thanks for starting this GotM post! ;)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 01:31:52 PM »
It's pretty linear.  It's generally a town and a dungeon with boss you have to beat before you can move on to the next town and dungeon.

There's a couple times where you have to do something specific (show a pass) but Google translate has helped me through those so far.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 10:29:23 AM »
It's pretty linear.  It's generally a town and a dungeon with boss you have to beat before you can move on to the next town and dungeon.

There's a couple times where you have to do something specific (show a pass) but Google translate has helped me through those so far.

Thanks! Damn, I'm likely too far into the month to realistically give it a shot, but man I really wish I could get off work or obligations for a couple days to tackle this!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 11:00:42 AM »
It is pretty basic, but what I would expect from an early Laser Soft title :) I feel you'd have to be hard up for RPGs to tackle this one. I guess the tease of cut scenes would help drive JP kids to clear it (that's the only reason I finished CF2 back in the 90's).

I messed with it for an hour or so, that's enough for me. Thanks to Geise for helping me broaden my obey horizons.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

geise

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 10:03:28 PM »
I was a hell of a month. I got about half way through. Still plugin' along. Will finish it this month. So September is going to be something short.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 11:02:45 PM »
I finally finished it up tonight.  I don't remember the final boss being such a pain in the ass, but he went down eventually.

'Tis a fun game overall, but it would really be nice with a translation and a patch to use Super CD or Arcade Card RAM and not so frickin' much loading.  Wishful thinking, I know.   :pcgs: