Author Topic: Game of the Month: September 2022 - Somer Assault  (Read 391 times)

geise

Game of the Month: September 2022 - Somer Assault
« on: September 02, 2022, 10:20:32 PM »
SOMER ASSAULT

Here is a game I have never played much or cleared. Will be a fairly easy to do a quick pick up and play with this one. Which I need since I'm still trying to get through CF1. Hopefully I can add this game to my clear list before the month is over. Have fun all.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: September 2022 - Somer Assault
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 03:09:56 PM »
I'm in geise's boat.  Though a bit further along, I'm not yet done with Cosmic Fantasy and I'm hoping I can beat Somer Assault for once.

Bonus Fun - everyone needs to try the hidden shewty and post a high score for it here.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Gredler

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 09:01:31 PM »
Stoked to try this one out, it's been on my radar but I've never played it and have been wanting to try it - and it's a huey so I can play it on the express! Great pick!

:boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom:

:boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom:

:icon_cat_stoned:

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 10:41:34 AM »
I never gave this pick much of a chance due to the unique controls, but I guess I'll have to give it a good college try now! The power of giese compels me :)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 10:34:01 AM »
Still haven't mastered the control of the "slinky" but the game is definitely unique with its game play and theme. I gave up on level 4 and went to play some Bonk 2 instead last night :)

The shooting mini game seems very barebones...but I guess that's why it's pretty deeply hidden. I wonder if it was a simple collision detection test for the dev's.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 01:28:15 PM »
I happen to see recent sales of Somer/Mesopotamia going for $150-200...now, I know all US Turbo is silly prices, but even the PCE Japanese release is asking more than I thought it should be worth. Anyone have thoughts on why? Was it low print run, some famous person was involved in production or was there some social media hype of late? Or am I just stuck in the 90's and my mine hasn't fully developed the idea of inflation. (or maybe Geise is playing some flipping game and driving up $$$ through these GotM's so they can scam the system)

I have my eye on a few games such as God Panic and Lost Sunheart but I balk at paying $75+, and those are better games IMO than Somer.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 07:27:26 PM »
It was released in October 1991, so not a terribly late release; I wouldn't think it was made in inordinately small quantities.  Maybe it's pricey just because everyone loves the lil slinky!

By the way, I've not made it terribly far.  Has this game gotten harder in the last decade or is it just me?   :icon_cat_derpy:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

geise

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 08:14:49 PM »
I got to level 8 and that's it. I always die due to time. I didn't have a lot of patience with the game this month.