Author Topic: PCEngine DUO headphone knob and volume  (Read 270 times)

GTSS

PCEngine DUO headphone knob and volume
« on: October 27, 2022, 03:43:28 AM »
Hi,

yesterday I was replacing the RGB out socket on my modded pcengine duo with a better quality one and when I was done I tested the system overall.
Everything was working fine except that the headphones output wasn't exactly right....

Both channels were there, loud and clear as they should be (a complete recap with console5 caps had been performed in the past by me personaly) but when I turned down the volume to the lowest, the left channel wasn't responding as much as the right one.

I desoldered the knob and soaked it in IPA and when it was dry I sprayed some contact cleaner in it.

I measured it (off the board,each channel-in to ground) with a multimeter at a 200K resistance setting on both channels and the results actally showed that something wasn't right with the knob.

After I applied some pressure by squeezing the knob with pliers, the measurements seem OK, on both channels there is a difference of 25K from lowest to highest setting of the knob.

Soldered it back and both channels behave the same now volume wise when the knob is turned.

I have the following questions if you can help me....

When I turn the knob all the way down the sound is just going low volume, not completely silent. Is this as its supposed to be?

What options are there for a good knob replacement? I read in an old thread (like 5 yo old) about knob replacements for the game boy color are supposed to work.
Is there another option today for a proper knob replacement and not one that kind of works but now exactly as the original?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 04:02:45 AM by GTSS »

Keith Courage

Re: PCEngine DUO headphone knob and volume
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 06:01:31 AM »
The volume should turn off all the way with the volume dial. Just find a replacement gameboy volume dial.

GTSS

Re: PCEngine DUO headphone knob and volume
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 02:02:29 PM »
Of what kind of gameboy. From a previous old post I read that GBC dial (which is tha same as the GBA dial) is the most proper. The classic GB has a dial with angled legs....