Author Topic: Attempt to beat all PC-Engine games?  (Read 337 times)

xDarunia

Attempt to beat all PC-Engine games?
« on: November 16, 2022, 06:37:04 PM »
Dunno how bad of an idea this is so I wanted to ask people who know a lot about this game system, but I kinda want to make a youtube series were I attempt to beat all games that were commercially released for the PC-Engine. I don't have a special connection with the console or the systems line up of games, but I think the console is really cool and I think it would be fun to try and beat all of them. I got this idea from a youtuber/streamer called the Mexicanrunner who played through all of the games on the NES. I know that a lot of those pc-engine games are in Japanese, but I can use a program in the emulator Retroarch that autotranslates them into English. Below is a video of a lets play I am doing for Far East of Eden Ziria that I am using a translator to play through the game

Also I don't want to stream myself playing the games, just make very long youtube videos were I play through them. But I am curious do I have to record myself playing the games to prove that I am beating them? I don't want to be on camera though. Also when playing RPG's would it be fair if I edit out the video were I grind experience points, or do I have to show that off to prove that I didn't cheat in the game? What about games that don't really have an 'ending'? Also I am not asking for ROMs, but I am curious is it fairly easy to find ROMs for all of the games on this platform? I don't have the 'money' to buy every single PC-Engine game lol. How many games are on the PC-Engine? Google says there is 679 commercial releases is that accurate? Also were can I find a list of all games on the platform, I mean I found one on wikipedia but again I dunno if that one is accurate so I am asking the experts here. Also I wanted to say thanks to anyone on here who feels like helping me out lol.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Attempt to beat all PC-Engine games?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 08:45:27 PM »
Playing on an emulator with automatic translating sounds neato.  I instead use google translate and my phone to help me out when playing on a duo.  Whatever gets you playing!

I've been trying to beat games for years and have been posting just screen shots of endings.  I don't worry about "proving" I beat a game, so you should similarly feel free to do what seems like the right thing for you.  If people want to doubt or piss and moan, fuck 'em!  For myself, it's mostly a way to nudge myself to play different games and not give up so easily.

PCE Daisakusen used to be a great resource for a nigh complete list of games.  It was easy to use and track your own collection, but it's sadly been dead for quite some time.  The best alternates are PC Engine Bible and maybe PC Engine Catalog Project.  The latter hasn't been working for me, but maybe it's just my phone or something, and as a bonus it has PC-FX titles.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Re: Attempt to beat all PC-Engine games?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 04:45:54 PM »
I am 100% behind this idea Darunia! 10+ years ago Spida1a went through the entire Turbografx library of games and gave us in-depth reviews of each. I would love to see this spin of you playing them with commentary, and the translation is an added plus!  I see you've got some gameplay of Far East of Eden Ziria in parts on youtube. This is a great idea!

I wouldn't worry about proving to anyone that you are playing the games 'legit' or from start to finish, I think the series as a whole would be fun as it is!  I started streaming about a year ago on twitch, and have gotten stuck in a few turbo games where I had to pause to ask the chat for direction (Dragon Slayer towards the end) and even used a save state here or there. Nobody cares, just play the games and have fun mate.  :pcgs:

:yuki: