Author Topic: Failure causes in core grafx systems  (Read 329 times)

game freak99

Failure causes in core grafx systems
« on: December 01, 2022, 05:01:28 PM »
I recently got a core grafx in a lot of junk consoles for parts and I'm trying to diagnose why it won't boot. Powering it on there will be a quick sound on the tv, but no video. The fuse and power regulator are both good, and the ribbon cable from the hucard slot looks fine but the console has a distinct gross old electronics smell when I opened it. Bad caps? Card slot so filthy games won't boot even after cleaning? Fried processor? Ribbon cable not as good as it looks? If anyone wants I can take pictures of the board.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: Failure causes in core grafx systems
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 10:21:05 AM »
I recently got a core grafx in a lot of junk consoles for parts and I'm trying to diagnose why it won't boot. Powering it on there will be a quick sound on the tv, but no video.
If you're not getting a solid white screen when powering on without a game, lends me to think there is something worse than a dirty slut...er slot.

There are more experienced repair ppl here, but your description makes the Core sound rather filthy. Maybe some rust or corrosion on the board? I assume you once overed that when testing the fuse/regulator. At least you knew going in it was "junk for parts"...
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

game freak99

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 01:29:51 PM »
I was buying a duo R with a bad disc drive and the seller through the core in for free, so I'm not going to be devestated if I can't get it running ha. One really simple possibility I saw was that the video out port is the issue, which would explain a lot. When I get some time I'll test the board for continuity.

game freak99

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 10:20:35 PM »
Can't believe I didn't notice it until now, but the sub board is cracked right in half. 32 bodge wires to reconnect the traces?