Author Topic: bt garner  (Read 523 times)

esteban

bt garner
« on: February 10, 2023, 01:00:15 AM »
bt garner (mind rec, pcecp.com, etc.) has shuffled off this mortal coil.

R.I.P. comrade.

too soon, comrade. too soon.
  |    | 

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Re: bt garner
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 10:18:42 AM »
Wayyy wayy too soon! This one is a kick in the nuts. :(

Rest in Peace, we'll be Mindrec'n for the rest of our lives! <3

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 07:19:48 PM »
I didn't know him personally, but I enjoyed his games and cool demos.  It's always sad to hear of forum people's ends, especially when they're relatively young.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

geise

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 07:55:51 PM »
Yeah man it's super sad news. :(  I found out from Arkhan in his discord early yesterday. It sucks how something like this just happens. How sudden it can be. What can you do though? Honor him the best way you can I guess. So few in the scene probably know who BT is. Just us older guys and some devs. There's maybe a few devs I wouldn't doubt have no idea who BT is. I think next month for GotM is going to be a Mindrec game. I was meaning to get his VAX game when it came out. The whole things is just...man. Shit.  I forgot I was like a 30 min drive from him. He was here in Durham, NC.

MrFulci

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 10:09:12 AM »
Any news on what he died from? Was it something he saw coming, a health issue of some sort, such as cancer, heart problems, overweight, etc?

Was this one of those fine one minute, dead the next, like a pulmonary embolism?

Or, is it nobody knows just yet?

The "funny" thing is, I had his online store bookmarked recently, as in December or so, because I intended to make a purchase of something from him sometime soon since I saw he had some new-to-me merchandise.

I had dealt with him before for some purchases, but never really conversed with him. Sad to see him go. It just now reminded me of when the forum member, "Sinistron" died, that was pretty sudden, a car accident.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

esteban

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 08:54:40 PM »
Any news on what he died from? Was it something he saw coming, a health issue of some sort, such as cancer, heart problems, overweight, etc?

Was this one of those fine one minute, dead the next, like a pulmonary embolism?

Or, is it nobody knows just yet?

The "funny" thing is, I had his online store bookmarked recently, as in December or so, because I intended to make a purchase of something from him sometime soon since I saw he had some new-to-me merchandise.

I had dealt with him before for some purchases, but never really conversed with him. Sad to see him go. It just now reminded me of when the forum member, "Sinistron" died, that was pretty sudden, a car accident.

I may mess up important details, so be wary:

He was diabetic, monitored it, and... after finishing a session on a treadmill, he went into diabetic shock.

So, yeah, as others have said... it's just another reminder of how fleeting life is.

And, yes, Sinistron was hit by a drunk driver? Another pointless loss of life. I keep some loose PCE CDs in an old mailer from Sinistron... just because.

|    | 

Paranoia Dragon

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 01:55:00 AM »
I literally tried to ordering the Vax Collection a couple weeks ago and had my order canceled. When I went to the website, I noticed that it was still available, so I ordered it again and then it got canceled again but this time with a message stating that the owner had passed away. Anyone know how old he was? Maybe this sounds wierd or selfish, but I feel bad missing out on his final game. :cry:

geise

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 07:20:12 PM »
I don't know exact age but I believe in his 50's.

tlaloc

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 05:06:35 AM »
For those (such as myself) who never were able to figure out how to access BT Garner's random music generator in his SoundGenZ rom, I finally found out how to access it after many years of wondering:

1.) Download the ZIP containing the rom:
[Direct Link to ZIP]
https://web.archive.org/web/20210129132826/http://www.mindrec.com/pce/roms/sgz.zip

[Archive of Original Web Page]
https://web.archive.org/web/20210228000258/http://mindrec.com/?main=pce/sgz.php

2.) You'll see something similar to this screen upon rom bootup:

3.) Once the above title screen is visible, make certain to hold Select and press II to enable random music mode.

4.) Frighten away small children and dogs with reckless abandon!!  :thumbsup:

5.) Enjoy!!

P.s. I hope he wouldn't have minded my posting a link to his work w/out his prior written consent, but the PDF instructions that come with the original ZIP file on the mindrec.com site wasn't very clear on how to access this very cool random music generator. Hope this helps someone else out there who couldn't access this amazing feature.

R.I.P. BT Garner
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 05:18:13 AM by tlaloc »