Author Topic: Game of the Month: April 2023 - Lords of Thunder  (Read 479 times)

geise

Game of the Month: April 2023 - Lords of Thunder
« on: April 06, 2023, 11:27:37 PM »
LORDS OF THUNDER

Late again. Surprise! Anywho, a shooter obviously for this month and one I'm sure has been played to death by many. However, I don't care. It's one of my favorites and I could easily give this game quite a few goes this month. I've been in the mood to get back on a shooter and I wanted one with kick as music so here we are. I also am busy as shit this month and needed something easy to quick up and play. Gameplay wise I put Gate of Thunder a bit above this one, but this game is still good. I like the elemental aspect and I actually play it with different armor on each level. Earth I'm sure is most everyone's go to, but I like changing it up and giving myself a challenge. Speaking of this is a game I've never beaten on Super Hard mode. That is my goal for this month. Normal I can do without buying anything. Hard I can complete with buying stuff, but Super Hard mode I haven't put much effort into. Mostly cause I suck on that mode. I hope you have your CD system hooked up to some nice speakers. If not and you own a duo use the headphones. Crank up the tunes and enjoy!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: Game of the Month: April 2023 - Lords of Thunder
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 09:27:34 AM »
I like Lords over Gate but only by the tiniest of margins. The theme with the knight and vivid colors draw me in and, as geise said, 'dem rocking tunes! It'll be fun this month to put more time in it to get better, I think I've only ever cleared it on normal.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 09:09:52 AM »
Lord's is one of the best shewties, that's for sure, and is one I'll happily give a few goes this month.  I can usually beat it, but only on normal and with careful shopping in the shop.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Gentlegamer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 08:22:44 PM »
I'll have to hook the Duo-R up!

geise

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 07:17:00 PM »
I gave a few goes with Lords already. I beat it on normal without and purchases of items. Also completed Hard mode with buying an ass ton of items. Still can't do it on Super. I got a new sound system to try this game out on. Been fun playing and rocking the tunes. Will post some clear scores before the month is over.

seieienbu

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 01:43:24 PM »
What more can be said about Lords?  I've had 2 copies of the game over the years.  I lent my original copy to a friend who absconded with it early in college then some time later I picked up a new copy off of ebay.  I took 3 attempts at the game this week, beat it twice, but wasn't able to get a 1-life clear.  Like, well, everyone, it's one of my favorite games on the platform.  Between the rocking metal, the badass art, technical wizardry, and the overall well playing game?  It'd be hard not to love Lords.  My favorite single thing in the game is the game are the death divers in Cielom who jump off their flying turtles to try to take you with them on their way to the ground.  Metal as fuck!

Lords is certainly one of the easier shooters on the Turbo.  The life bar is quite generous and the weapon degradation punishment isn't exactly steep either.  Having multiple different elemental armors was a neat feature.

Did anyone ever play the Feka CD version?  At some point I'd kind of like to give it a go for a comparison's sake.  At the same time, I don't really want to pay the going rate for it.  Also, it seems like it's more expensive than the Turbo version?  Blasphemy!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 05:48:23 PM »
It's my favorite shooty of all times. So good!  Maybe I'll get a chance to pop it in still this week!!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 11:55:17 PM »
I had a few more good plays today but didn't manage to beat it.  For some reason, that damn fire boss jerk really had my number; he's usually not that hard...  Maybe I should try a wired pad and see if it helps.  :boom:

geise

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 10:51:24 AM »
Maybe your reflexes are shot since you're an old man? Well I got to the last stage on Super Hard but died a horrible death. Enjoyed playing this again though. Especially since I got a new speaker system. I used headphones on the duo with a crt, but I did some runs on the couch and the sony oled tv. Onto the new month and new game but I will never stop playing this game. Hope you all enjoyed it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 09:26:30 PM »
I'm not old, I'm well seasoned!  Okay..... I'm old.......... get off my lawn!!!

I agree that LoT never gets old.  I always enjoy revisiting it, even if I don't manage to beat it.   :duran:

Naniyue

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2023, 09:15:12 PM »
  I prefer this one to Gate, even though I like both.  First, it's in a fantasy setting, which was still uncommon at the time.  Funny, though, since SF is my first love.  Second, I can get hit multiple times, and even heal along the way!