Author Topic: Best representatives of the system, in your opinion?  (Read 324 times)

Naniyue

Best representatives of the system, in your opinion?
« on: September 23, 2023, 12:35:42 AM »
  If someone asks you what watermelon tastes like, do you describe it, or do you give them a piece?

Same applies to the Turbo!

Invite them to save the lands of Ys I&II and IV.  Give them the challenge of Dracula X.  Throw them into the world of Emerald Dragon.  Have them face the onslaught in Dungeon Explorer II.  Make them sweat their way through Gate/Lords of Thunder!

In other words, which games do you think best represent the system, and why?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Best representatives of the system, in your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 08:11:58 PM »
Dungeon Explorer - just as good as the sequel, sweet chip tunes, and a lot of fun multiplayer
Bonks Revenge - great platformer, good music, and easy for someone to pick up and play
Soldier Blade - a great vertical shewty, one of my all time favorites
Hatris - because I must spread my hat love
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 09:23:39 AM »
When I bring consoles out for freeplay at events, I often run Lords, Gate, Bonk, Valis, Blazing, Parasol, Ninja Spirit, New Adv. Island, Bloody Wolf, Splatterhouse. All easy to pick'up-n-play games with recognizable names.

When I want to be a little "colorful" and show off less well known titles, I sometimes break out Aniki's, Dragon Saber, World Heroes, Kabuki(fighter), Lost Sunheart, God Panic, Spriggian, Buster Bros. I like to put a little limelight on these. It helps showcase the system as not JUST the "bonk" system.

At shows, there isn't time to run a RPG like Ys or even a longer platformer such as Drac X but I would always recommend those to anyone new to the obey faith.

<I have noticed when I run a TED and attendees figure out how to change the games, they inevitably seem to pick the NES port hacks for some odd reason...>
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

seieienbu

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 12:09:19 PM »
I would say Splatterhouse or Bonk was probably the game that I'd hear people say they knew existed.  Top those off with perhaps Gate or Lords of Thunder and you're pretty good to go.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

geise

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 09:53:33 PM »
Always at the top is Ys Book I&II, Spriggan, and the Thunder series. That's all CD stuff though. For just Turbo HuCards I'd go with R-Type, Air Zonk, Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia II, Soldier series.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 06:51:52 PM »
Blazing Lazers
Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder

JohnnyGrafx

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 02:54:37 AM »
Legendary Axe 2, Bloody Wolf, and dungeon explorer.