Author Topic: Game of the Month: December 2023 - R-Type  (Read 429 times)

geise

Game of the Month: December 2023 - R-Type
« on: December 03, 2023, 09:48:36 AM »
R-TYPE

It's that time to finally make R-Type GotM. I've put it off for a good while. I wanted to do another shooter and I know this is not everyone's favorite, but I love this game. I haven't made a run through in a good while and wanted to practice and work on a clear. This was a game that I used to show off the Turbo. Especially before I got a CD unit. It was a really damn good port of the arcade, even with the flicker it has. It's still hard as balls if you don't remember the stages. Memorization shooters like this I'd die a lot but after some practice it's not that hard. I put so many quarters into this game in the arcade and was so stoked when I got this game. So, time to take out the Bydo empire and restore glory. Have fun!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: Game of the Month: December 2023 - R-Type
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 09:09:13 AM »
Going back to the classics! R-type has always been a fav of mine, like geise, I played a lot in the arcade on that Nintendo style cab at the student union...it was next to Ivan Stewarts Off-Road and a Street Fighter 1 (w/ upgraded 6 buttons). Absolutely loved the SMS port and was one of the first games I picked up for Tg-16 in '90. Eventually I did trade out my US copy for the two volume PCE release (they are so cheap!) and got the CD as a gift a few years ago. It's a challenging game for me, but still fun because of the varied stages and visuals. I'll be playing the CD version this month, ♫R-R-R-R-type♪!
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

roflmao

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 10:47:23 PM »
Sweet! I love this game, though I've never come close to finishing it.

seieienbu

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 01:18:25 PM »
I initially got my Turbo with Blazing Lazers (and Keith Courage, obviously).  R-Type was the first game I bought for the system after that.  At least I Think I bought it.  Maybe it was a gift?  I'm a bit unsure on the details, but what I can say is that it took me 21 years to finally beat the game.  When I finally beat it I did so on a single life.  I feel like there's something outright magical about the reflecting laser in particular; I love how it both looks and operates.

I fucking love R-Type.  It's an Excellent arcade-to-home conversion of an already excellent game.  I've been curious about the R-Type on CD but I've never actually paid any attention to that version.  I'm going to put aside Aero Blasters (my current white whale) and see if I can beat R-Type again this month.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gentlegamer

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 07:29:11 PM »
I'll try to exceed my personal best: completing the first stage

seieienbu

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 12:48:55 AM »
I fully believe that you can make it to stage 3!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 01:45:04 AM »
Ha!  I like hearing that I'm not the only one that struggles mightily with this one.  I like R-Type, but damn is it hard and I'm too dumb to memorize the stage layouts.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 08:02:05 AM »
Stage 4 is usually when I start to have trouble. Even with the decades of playing, I've only "got" the first three stages down pat.

geise

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 08:20:35 PM »
Yeah stage 4 is where I start to take a shit. Tonight was no different. Lol!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 10:30:46 AM »
Can we play the PCE version so that I can feel accomplished by only beating half the game? haha. Who am I kidding.. making it to stage 3 is an accomplishment!

geise

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 01:49:42 PM »
Was able to get to the Stage 5 boss, but couldn't beat it. You guys can play whatever version of R-Type you want as long as it's on turbo or pc-engine. Go ahead and try the R-Type Complete as well.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 12:48:46 PM »
I was able to reach Stage Two, but no further so far.

My attempts have been cut short by re-playing all the Half-Life games for the anniversary.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2023, 12:08:32 PM »
Got to stage 6 on the CD version...with the help of unlimited continues :) Lot's of stage memorizations is the key.

roflmao

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 11:09:46 PM »
I've played around with both the US HuCARD and PCE SCD versions this month, but have not been able to get very far. I have been playing on a projector, though, and that adds noticeable lag, so I've sucked at all shmups lately.  :pcgs:

Androsynth

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2024, 01:28:53 PM »
Slightly late, just getting back into playing my collection with the Analogue Duo, as a lot of my old hardware had failed.

I love this game, it's a fantastic port. I can usually get to around Stage 4-5 once I am back in training, but I have yet to beat this one as I did not have it back in the day. I need to. This one is a classic.