Author Topic: Pc engine duo disc no spin noread and unreable main screen  (Read 1181 times)

arnes

Pc engine duo disc no spin noread and unreable main screen
« on: December 25, 2023, 06:45:16 AM »
hi i have probelm with this pc engine when i power on i have unreadable home screen and doesn't read disc but hucards can read and play just fine . i reacaped this pc engine my self but i mess up and on c102 i put 33uf 16v and not 3.3uf 50 v  .before recap the laser was working and playing games .here pictures of homemenu
https://ibb.co/bmkHJRw

Keith Courage

Re: Pc engine duo disc no spin noread and unreable main screen
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 01:01:11 AM »
Did you recap the docking station? This looks like the symptom of bad ram. It is the small board inside the IFU(dock) that can pull away from the main board. Sits just behind the CD drive.  Make sure that board didn't pull away from the main board.

If it's attached fine, Well then you might need to replace some ram.

Is this a DUO or PCE system with CD drive and dock?

arnes

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 05:22:29 AM »
Its duo

arnes

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 05:43:14 AM »
About that ram do i need find another console to swap

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 07:46:27 AM »
Hucards have no problems at all? If hu cards are fine then it's probably not bad ram. Most likely either a bad trace/connection to the CD bios chip or the chip could be bad altogether.

Have you tested the system using your own super CD system card to see if the screen looks normal and if the DUO will load a CD?

arnes

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 06:07:27 PM »
I have arcade card and still do same .before recap there was no sound in through din conector but was playing cd. i only have this console so i cannot test .

arnes

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 11:52:08 AM »
i check with multimeter conection between ic 513 ,514 ,515 to  ic501 and seems to be fine only on pin 1 in ic513 and ic514 didnt get ground and i dont know is this normal.

Keith Courage

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 07:02:28 PM »
So the CD drive was fine before the capacitor change? I would really look around for any traces to capacitors then. Check any via holes near capacitor legs to make sure you don't see any old cap leakage inside of them. If you do, clean and then solder a wire or something through to fix the connection. Also make sure there are any accidental solder blobs left on the board anywhere that could have gotten there during the capacitor change.

You can probably ignore all the capacitor and connections above the 7805 voltage regulators as almost all those deal with audio only.

I would look around in the middle of the board under the 7805 voltage regulators and above the two 47uf capacitors near the CD loading light.

arnes

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 06:08:08 AM »
i check them all and seems be fine. but i managed to get cd rom 2.1 system on flashcard running and image is not corrupted but when i hit run is stuck on just moment and i dont know is this good or bad .i think i might burn laser because i solder 33uf 16v on c102 

Keith Courage

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 10:37:39 PM »
Does the lens move or click towards the lens assembly stop switch when you hot run? It should slightly move once even if the lens won't read anything.

arnes

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 03:01:45 AM »
No lens doesnt move at all stuck in one place

Keith Courage

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2024, 08:39:39 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Have you looked under the Hu card slot area for corrosion in any Via holes?

arnes

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 03:32:35 AM »
 I checked on botton side of motherboard and look good but i have problem check under hu card slot . Do i need bend slot or desolder .when i checked it i replaced laser and cxa10801m ic to new and still same .i have one question do i need change power supply from 9v 1000ma to 9v 2000ma that one i have is diy

Keith Courage

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 05:53:42 PM »
9V 1000MA should be just fine.

You can push the Hu card slot up and the pins can bend a little without any worry. It's just repeated bending up and down that's no good for it. No worries as the screws will hold it down in place just fine after you push it back down.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 05:55:20 PM by Keith Courage »

arnes

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 09:00:08 AM »
I checked under card slot as you said and looks fine no broken traces . When i replaced lens now i hear buzzing noise when i try play cd