Author Topic: Looking for recommendations for US Repair service for TurboDuo Console - Please  (Read 141 times)

thevideogameguy2018

Hello.

So I have a NEC TurboDuo which is somewhat special as its a NEC Sample console used in an interactive store kiosk.  This one is special to me because a). In all of my years of game and console hunting I have never found one of these in the wild and b) I have spent countless hours now cleaning it up and testing it from my limited knowledge.  Mind you I know it needs work but I have always wanted one for the collection but did not want to pay the crazy prices.

It gets power however DOES Need a recap, I ordered Console 5 Kit with SMD and Through hole caps but I dont trust myself to do this work I would probably mess it up.

Also the CD Drive spindle JUST Spins and the LED Red light is on.

I cleaned the board up a LOT from how I got it, I believe this was exposed to moisture at one point but there is no obvious corrosion aside from the RF Shields and screws which I cleaned up with Evaporust and the CD Drive plate which has rust and I have been cleaning that up too.  The Laser seems to move to try to read discs but thats about all I can see, no video and one bulged cap near the power regulators.

Looking for someone with experience where I can ship this to, is trusted by the community etc.  Sorry for the ask and I should do more reading but figured there would be some obvious recommendations from those who know them best.

Thanks again in advance!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 07:17:24 AM by thevideogameguy2018 »

thevideogameguy2018

Did I ask the wrong question? LOL

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Heh, you're fine.  We don't get a ton of activity, so responses can take a bit.

That said, Keith here knows his shit.  Odds are good he could fix it up quick.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

thevideogameguy2018

Its ok and thank you for replying.  He did reach out to me directly so I will most likely go that route.  Its not that I wouldnt want to try fixing this but if it were a garden variety Sega Genesis I would be more apt to do so, not on something like this.

thevideogameguy2018

Thanks I reached out to him via message or replied to him.  Appreciate the referral I am excited to get this repaired.