Author Topic: SOLVED - CDROM2 PCE (White) problems after change shell  (Read 65 times)

Rollinpizza

SOLVED - CDROM2 PCE (White) problems after change shell
« on: April 10, 2024, 02:56:35 PM »
Hi everybody!

Previously, and thanks to Keith Courage and Necromancer, I've fixed my white cdrom2. Here the post: https://www.pcenginefans.com/forum/index.php?topic=23852.msg526208#msg526208

But, the shell, in general, was damaged and avoided that all the pieces were well screwed, especially the black plate where rests the lens, the motor, etc. The consecuence is the cdrom drive made a lot of noise when it ran a game. So I bought a donor in zenmarket where the case is almost new.

When I've changed it, apparently all ok but sometimes audio in Macross 2036 dropouts. I've made a test with audio cd and it can't read the most outwards tracks (13, 14 of 14 tracks for example). It made a strange noise. At the beginning, I've thought was the the ribbon cables because they are very long (it comes from a sony discman d-11) but after organise and set them correctly (I think so), the problem persisted.

I've made a manual simulation moving the lens to outwards and there is a point where I can't and the strange noise comes from here:

As you can see on the photo, in this point i can't move to the final. It's stuck and only it makes a noise when I move the lens with the gears. The noise origin comes from the piece marked with red circle.

The blue tack is to fix better this zone. The slot screw here is a little broken and I'm too lazy to change black plate  :( .

I've been reading that the problem is the worm gear that is too dirty but I don't know if I can check something more before that because it takes time do this.

What do you think??

Thanks a lot!  O0 O0
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 03:29:28 AM by Rollinpizza »

Rollinpizza

Re: CDROM2 PCE (White) problems after change case
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 06:37:57 AM »
I don't understand but the image of the post was removed by the host. I've uploaded again.

Rollinpizza

Re: SOLVED - CDROM2 PCE (White) problems after change shell
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 03:43:17 AM »
Finally, I've solved the problem. The cause of the problem was the screw placed there:

I had screwed too hard that final part of the rail was upper than the rest. That means the rail was a little doubled and because of this, the final tracks couldn't be read by the lens because the lens can't move more. The clicking sound from white piece (top hut bushing)  really warned that there is a problem with worm gear because it couldn't move. The rail and the worm gear must be parallel and straight.

I hope this post was useful for other pc engine fans users. :)

Regards!!