Author Topic: Trying to swap out a CD soundtrack w/o cutscene desync  (Read 285 times)

lowpursuit

Trying to swap out a CD soundtrack w/o cutscene desync
« on: May 26, 2024, 11:40:28 PM »
So I made my own custom soundtrack for Double Dragon II that swaps out the stage music. Mostly works fine, but by the time you reach the final stages the cutscenes don't quite sync up. Not terribly off, but enough to be annoying. Double checked the original and it plays fine (using disc rips via Mednafen). Any ideas? Best I can figure is the originals tracks are a hair longer if you zoom all the way in, but I don't know of any program more precise (I have both Audacity and Sound Forge). Thanks -Josh
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 11:44:18 PM by lowpursuit »

Paranoia Dragon

Re: Trying to swap out a CD soundtrack w/o cutscene desync
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 02:14:01 AM »
I was working on the exact same thing, replacing the tracks in the pce version with remixed tracks that follow the NES version. Most games on the pce CD require that the tracks be 100% exactly the same length as the originals tracks. Every now and then you'll run into a game where you can get away with random lengths of tracks but most seem to be very strict about this. That's when music goes haywire.

lowpursuit

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 08:12:59 PM »
lol for real? haha nice. Still no closer to a solution though. You having any luck?

Paranoia Dragon

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 01:51:09 AM »
It's been several years since I worked on any of my music swapping projects. There was one song in particular for a Double Dragon 2 that I had problems with. The song that would go in the helicopter section. I never found a remixed track of that I was happy with. Only found one and it was quite repetitive. It's this one here https://youtu.be/z4zZkWr1lEs?si=Zrypj-Ih9_3mrXHC

I think another problem was, if I'm remembering right, that it was too short and trying to loop it was also weird. I think Double Dragon 2 is one of the ones where you need to have the exact length so that the tracks don't get all messed up. Somebody told me about some kind of program that should be able to fix it somehow, I want to say it was called TOC Fixer, but I haven't messed around with it yet.

I has a couple other projects as well. One was Super Darius, where I made mashups of some of the versions of the songs. Thought about calling it Super Duper Darius LOL

The other was Sylphia. Called it Sylphia Reborn. Turboxray helped me with that one. I used various tracks from different Vinnie Moore albums to give it more of a Lords of Thunder sound, it came out great. I'm pretty proud of that one. We even added an extra track! That's where Turboxray mainly came in. In the original game, the final boss just plays a regular boss tune. We changed it up so that it seeks a brand new track once you get to the final form of the last boss.

I've talked to Jodi of Turbo Reproductions about having copies of that one made up. He even was going to look into having the manual translated by a friend. I haven't asked him lately if he's been able to get the manual translated yet.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 01:52:59 AM by Paranoia Dragon »

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2024, 06:15:03 PM »
I absolutely adore Double Dragon 2 on PCE. I must start by saying that. I grew up with the NES version and am so familiar with the stages and background music. So, I figured why not try to play around with the music tracks too  It makes the PCE one a bit more Double Dragon II canon.

The music I used comes from- The original soundtrack composed by Kazunaka Yamane. The arranged tracks were arranged by Kazuhiro Hara and Nobuhito Tanahashi.
https://youtu.be/qDLTFT2gr34?si=x3aatCE9Czci5_51

Paranoia Dragon

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2024, 11:52:05 PM »
I absolutely adore Double Dragon 2 on PCE. I must start by saying that. I grew up with the NES version and am so familiar with the stages and background music. So, I figured why not try to play around with the music tracks too  It makes the PCE one a bit more Double Dragon II canon.

The music I used comes from- The original soundtrack composed by Kazunaka Yamane. The arranged tracks were arranged by Kazuhiro Hara and Nobuhito Tanahashi.
https://youtu.be/qDLTFT2gr34?si=x3aatCE9Czci5_51

It's been several years, but if I'm remembering right, several of the songs I used came from Double Dragon Neon. I always really liked the arrangements in that game. Maybe one of these days I'll actually finish dd2 project. Would be nice if it could get a legitimate dub or subtitle at some point as well.