Author Topic: Some Wii questions for the Wii experts  (Read 436 times)

Black Tiger

Some Wii questions for the Wii experts
« on: December 25, 2006, 09:38:39 AM »
Okay, I know most of these have probably already been answered one way or another here or are easy enough to find online... but I'd like it if I could get the answers the easy way summed up right here.

1: What controllers can you use for VC games? Can you use Gamecube pads? Do any games only work with the VC pad?

2: Does the Wii use the same A/V cables as the SNES/N64/GC? If so, can anyone confirm if Gamecube component cables work with the Wii (or maybe even the VGA adaptor)?

3: Are all the games progressive scan compatible? 480p is fine by me and looks great, but I won't bother with component cables if there isn't any real use for them.

4: Can you save games internally at all, or can you only save games to memory cards?

5: Can you save VC Roms internally at all, or can you only VC VRoms to memory cards?

6: Does the system come with a memory card?

7: Does anything require batteries? If so, what kind and how many?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

evilmax17

Re: Some Wii questions for the Wii experts
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 12:12:37 PM »
1. You can use the Wii Remote, Wii Classic Controller, or Gamecube controller.  The last two work with all games, and the Wii Remote only works with certain games (it works with all TG16 games).

2. No, completely new ones.

3. No, but most are.  Rayman for example, is not.

4. Yes, this is the prefered method of saving.  You can copy/move saves onto an SD card, but I'm not sure if you can even load games directly from the SD card or not.  Most saving is done directly to the Wii's built-in memory.

5. See above, but in order to play VC games, they must be moved to the internal memory.  You can store games on SD cards, but they can't be loaded from there.

6. No, but it comes with 512 meg of internal memory (all you should need).

7. Yes, the Wii Remote requires 2 AA batteries, which are included with the system.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 07:45:11 PM »
1. You can use the Wii Remote, Wii Classic Controller, or Gamecube controller.  The last two work with all games, and the Wii Remote only works with certain games (it works with all TG16 games).

2. No, completely new ones.

3. No, but most are.  Rayman for example, is not.

4. Yes, this is the prefered method of saving.  You can copy/move saves onto an SD card, but I'm not sure if you can even load games directly from the SD card or not.  Most saving is done directly to the Wii's built-in memory.

5. See above, but in order to play VC games, they must be moved to the internal memory.  You can store games on SD cards, but they can't be loaded from there.

6. No, but it comes with 512 meg of internal memory (all you should need).

7. Yes, the Wii Remote requires 2 AA batteries, which are included with the system.

Awesome, thanks alot. I've got a bunch of cash to try to buy a Wii with tomorrow. I'll just buy the component cables if I can find them after that for now.

grahf

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:06:02 AM »
At first I was a little dissapointed that my GC component cables didnt work with the Wii, but i suppose its for the better. The GC outputs a digital signal and contains a custom encoder IC inside the cable (hence the high price). Whereas the Wii supports component output nativly, so its pretty much just a cable.

Im still pissed about spending all that money on the CG cable, but oh well. Its going to stay with the cube.

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 11:58:03 AM »
I found out the hard way that the Wii doesn't have an ethernet port. Luckily, I bought my girlfriend the Wii-compatible DS Wi-Fi USB device a while ago so she could play Animal Crossing online.

Unfortunately, I'm running it through my laptop, which doesn't have any working USB 2.0 ports, so its very slow for now. But I'm going to buy that compatible USB-Ethernet adaptor asap.

GUTS

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 05:24:14 AM »
Dude those GC component cables are ridiculous!  The cheapest I can find on ebay is $60 with shipping from Japan.  The GC looks like complete shit on a HD tv without them though, so I'm thinking of just selling my Gamecube since $60 is way too much for something Nintendo should still be selling.