Author Topic: R-Type costs $2 more than other Turbo games on VC  (Read 429 times)

Joe Redifer

R-Type costs $2 more than other Turbo games on VC
« on: December 26, 2006, 08:23:35 AM »
Or this is what I have read since I don't have a Wii yet.  I'm not sure why this is the case.  Some people over on another forum (NOT Sega-16, inc ase you were wondering) were asking why this game is the first to be priced higher.  Someone responded "Its probably because its the first TG-16 they have released [for the VC] that is above the level of a NES game."  I LOL'd.  I assume (most likely wrongly) that it was probably because Nintendo was the company to release the game in the arcades, so it gets premium priced.

Black Tiger

Re: R-Type costs $2 more than other Turbo games on VC
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 11:53:31 AM »
I think that it's just to calm the flames of all the Japanese players who might feel ripped off for having to buy the same game in seperate halves. These being the same people of course, who get a ton of titles for like 12 platforms while we only get a handful of games for 4 consoles.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:03:11 PM »
I think I'm the only one jealous of the Japanese for getting the four good levels while the US version gets four crappy levels tacked on at the end.   :?

Kidding, of course.  I can always just turn off the power after level 4.

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 12:29:52 PM »
Since my last post, I just on into the VC shop for the first time.

I was shocked to find SNES and Genesis games go for 800 a piece, NES 500 each and TG-16 are 600 each.

Considering the awful selection of titles for the other systems, I'm not surprised that TG-16 games are selling well. For what's available overall, you get the most bang for your buck.

Although the Wii points go further for real $'s than Xbox Live Arcade's rip-off's, you should still get way more points for what the card sells for. I got 2000 points as an X-Mas gift and I can only buy one TG-16 game after Mario 64... and then nothing else.

cavein2000

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 06:02:27 AM »
Considering the awful selection of titles for the other systems, I'm not surprised that TG-16 games are selling well. For what's available overall, you get the most bang for your buck.

I think maybe part of the reason TG16 games are doing so well is because not too many people had the chance to own a TG16 as a child.  Whenever I mention turbo grafx to people that had Nintendo and Sega systems, I often get that head tilt action like a dog does when it doesn't understand something (tilt to the left, with "errrr?" expression).  Anyway, I think many are like, how do I get that goodness in me? 
What a horrible night to have a curse...

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 11:25:36 AM »

I think maybe part of the reason TG16 games are doing so well is because not too many people had the chance to own a TG16 as a child.  Whenever I mention turbo grafx to people that had Nintendo and Sega systems, I often get that head tilt action like a dog does when it doesn't understand something (tilt to the left, with "errrr?" expression).  Anyway, I think many are like, how do I get that goodness in me? 

Well, you can get most or all of the VC Genesis games on the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2, with special features and such, for the price of like 2 - 3 VC Ganesis games. And those VC Genesis titles are still pretty pitiful considering the Genesis' library.

The SNES VC titles are even worse.

But most of the TG-16 games are pretty good. I hope that they continue to bring out only the better TG-16 games until they start running out of titles.

But when they've exhausted the number of decent TG-16 games, I hope they move on to bringing us decent PC Engine games next, even if they aren't translated. There's got to be at least 50 nice PC Engine HuCards that are totally playable without translation.

The only problem would be all the licensing rights issues with non-Hudson releases...