Author Topic: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games  (Read 2808 times)

esteban

Re: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 05:48:30 AM »
An old friend of mine loved Windows Minesweeper as well, although this was back in the early days. I always found the game frustrating because there is too much "luck" involved. My friend, though, had insanely fast completion times. His strategy was quickly clear out huge sections of the field (lucky guesses), then, slow down a bit and finish. I think he spent a bazillion hours playing it, because he was godlike. I still don't see the appeal of the game, though.
There actually isn't any luck involved. The first click might seem like luck, but I believe the game is programmed so you never hit a bomb on your first click, so right after the first click, it all depends on strategy.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I should have clarified: my friend's strategy for obtaining super-fast completion times was to recklessly clear out huge swaths of the board in the first second or two. This was entirely based on getting lucky. I didn't like this at all. I prefer games where high scores cannot be the result of dumb luck, like Tetris.

That's not to say that I will never be able to appreciate minesweeper, though. :)
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 09:29:13 AM »
Genpei Tomaden (or whatever the hell it's called)- Horrible game in pretty much every category.  The collision detection is beyond awful, and the game has more cheap/unfair hits than one of those Color Dreams games on NES.  And speaking of NES, that's where most of the visuals look like they were ported from, except for the parts where your sprite is gigantic.  Those parts actually look pretty cool, and would be pretty cool except that your stupid character bounces around like the ground is made out of springs every time you duck and get up.  Plus it's nearly impossible to avoid getting hit by stuff since you take up 1/3 of the screen and your sword swings REALLY slow.  The game gives you unlimited continues, but by the time you get close to the end like I did and get stuck on some part where you have to beat 2 or 3 ultra cheap/hard parts in a row, you'll probably just give up in frustration (like I did).  The only parts of the game that were almost decent are the sidescrolling levels where you are a small sprite, if you can stomach the cheap hits then they provide a bit of enjoyment, right up until you are forced to play one of the overhead view (good god, so horrible!) or large-sprite view (UGH) levels.  Only recommended if you can buy it for $5.

runinruder

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »
Nice review.  I'd always heard that the first one was actually the better of the two (I haven't played either yet). 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

nat

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 11:03:17 AM »
I'm assuming that review is in reference to the first game, in which case, GUTS is spot-on. The second game (Samurai Ghost in the USA) is a far far better game, for whatever it's flaws.

This game may have the worst graphics of any game released on the PCE/TurboGrafx. Saying it looks like NES graphics is an insult to the NES, as the NES could pull off halfway decent visuals when the programmers felt like trying.

I'm not sure who said this first game was better, but I'd like to meet them and hear about why they think that. Afterwards, I'd like to give them a lobotomy.

The horrible hit detection coupled with the absolutely vile visuals make this a "must not own". I don't recommend it, even if someone gives it to you.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:06:00 AM by nat »

runinruder

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 11:49:52 AM »
I'm not sure who said this first game was better, but I'd like to meet them and
hear about why they think that. Afterwards, I'd like to give them a lobotomy.

Check out the PC Engine Bible site.  The first one got a respectable three "meats" score, while the second earned only two.  Apparently, lack of variety and a high level of difficulty were the sequel's downfalls. 

nat

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 12:43:16 PM »
That game doesn't deserve even a one meat score.

sunteam_paul, you are nuts!

Keranu

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 05:41:36 PM »
The second one is definitely much better, but I do appreciate the first one a lot for it's mix of different gameplay - I always like that in games. I probably wouldn't say it's as bad as GUTS made it out to be (he was actually more generous than I expected), but the second one provides more straight up solid action. By the way, nat, if you're playing the game in Magic Engine, the game might look especially really bad and have black backgrounds. I haven't played the real version, but I believe that is an error in Magic Engine because I recall seeing screenshots where there is actually a detailed background.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 04:20:03 AM »
I haven't played the real version, but I believe that is an error in Magic Engine because I recall seeing screenshots where there is actually a detailed background.

Show me.

I did play the game via emulation, but it wasn't in Magic Engine. Magic Engine costs money.

The background wasn't black, but it was some awful brownish color with, and I mean this quite literally, a couple pixelated lines. Looked like something a 4-year-old would draw using Windows Paint.

GUTS

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 08:41:41 AM »
Nat is right- the backgrounds (at their finest shining moment even) barely consist of some badly drawn mountiains in the middle of a sea of black or brown.  The overhead levels use really amatuer tiles where everything looks like it's being emulated (sprites jittering around like they're not actually part of the floor, lots of flicker) even though I was playing it on real hardware.  Like I said the levels where your character is big don't look too bad as long as you ignore the gigantic blocks of sprites that flicker whenever you fight another huge character, but again the backgrounds are usually only a moon or a something small on a large black space.  I think there were a couple levels where the background had some actual detail, but I had to play haflway through the game before seeing them, and they obviously weren't impressive at all since I barely remember.

GUTS

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 08:57:43 AM »
De Ja- I'm only a couple hours into this, but I thought I would give a preliminary report since runin is dying to find out about this game.  First off let me say that if you don't know any japanese and don't understand why other people who don't would want to play a Snatcher-style adventure game, well I  don't know exactly myself.  Usually I stay away from these types of games, but De Ja intrigued me for a few reasons- the Indiana Jones setting, the really nice artwork, and the fact that every single line in the game is spoken (I can pick out a few japanese words here and there, so that is a huge help).  So far it hasn't been too overwhelming, and I've been able to figure out basically what's going on.

The intro starts with some dude in a mayan(?) temple, stumbling across some treasure.  There's a sceptre he really digs, but as he's freaking out about finding treasure, a hot chick in white appears behind him.  The graphics are really nice during this part, but strangely there's no sound other than voices!  She eventually turns into a huge monster and he falls down into a chasm, then the game flash forwards to Japan in the present day (I assume), and you play the part of a small time private eye.  An old man arrives and gives you the sceptre you saw in the intro, and that's where your adventure begins.  Right now I'm moving around town talking to people, getting information on the sceptre.  The game is nice enough to show animated little icons for your commands so you always know what you're doing (speaking is a little face moving it's mouth, showing items is a little backpack opening, etc).  Moving around town is done by menu command too, there's a little walk icon then you can pick where you want to go.  It's pretty easy so far, and inventory management seems limited to just showing stuff to people so far, I don't really forsee any King's Quest type puzzles.

The voices are all great, and you can turn them off if you want to, but since they add to the experience I leave them on.  One thing that kind of sucks is that the music is all in PSG (is that the right term?) format, no redbook since the whole CD is packed with voice acting.  The music is still great though, in fact the theme that plays when you're at your office is lifted right from the vocal line from an old BeeGees song. Everytime I go back to my office I can't stop humming disco, it rules.

The only problems I've had so far are that some of the animation is a little wierd, like whoever programmed it didn't really know what they were doing.  Sometimes things anime really smoothly (like background animation), but during the cinemas wierd things happen like the whole character disappearing then reappearing in a different pose, or a mouth not moving until halfway through their speach.  It's not a big deal, but it's just odd since the art and graphics are so polished otherwise.  I mean it seems like NEC really, really went all out with this game, I've played the original version a little on an X68000 emulator and it's obvious they had to redraw everything, record voices, even add the cinemas since I don't remember a cool intro on the X68000 version.

I think runin would love this game, and anybody else who enjoys digital comics.  I'm going to keep playing, I'll give an update if I encounter a game stopping part where you absolutely HAVE to know japanese to progress.

runinruder

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 03:22:34 PM »
Thanks for the preliminary report.  It definitely sounds like something I'd dig, so hopefully I'll be able to find a good deal for it like you did.

By the way, GUTS, that Travelers game you were talking about yesterday does indeed look sweet.  One of us needs to track that down.   :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 04:04:05 PM »
I love it when GUT's thread is right next to Runin's on the list.  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GUTS

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 04:32:03 PM »
Yeah I think Travelers is my next PCE game, if I can ever find it.  Hopefully it's cheap.

GUTS

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 09:00:56 AM »
Dungeon Master Theron's Quest- What a travesty.  In some ways this version is superior to the original, but in the important areas it's a complete train wreck.  The good points- The graphics are very nice, the cinemas aren't technically the greatest but they at least add a halfway interesting story to give you some motivation to continue, and the music is alright.  Now for the bad!  The first and most annoying thing about this version is that you have to beat every dungeon in one sitting.  That's not a big deal on the first couple, but on the last oh say 5 if you don't have at least 2-3 hours to set aside for gaming, don't even bother playing.  This wouldn't be SO bad if the game was more straight forward and revolved mostly around fighting, but Dungeon Master is 50/50 fighting and puzzle solving.  So what happens if you get stuck on some stupid pressure plate puzzle and need to take a break?  Tough shit!  Turn your Duo off and you have to start completely from scratch in that dungeon.  No midpoint saves, no exiting the dungeons and saving, nothing.

The second thing that is ultra annoying is that you don't get to keep anything you find in the dungeons.  In this sense it's almost like a rogue game, you start from square one in each dungeon, even having to re-pick your companions from the measly amount they give you to choose from (I think it's around 7, but I can't remember exactly).  It completely ruins the fun, I mean what's the point of spending an hour on a puzzle and finding that SWEET piece of armor if you're just going to lose it when you beat the dungeon?  If you are a big fan of rogue-likes then this aspect may not bother you though.

The last thing that sucks is how after you find the artifact you need, you have to find your way back out of the dungeon.  Artificial lengthening at its finest!  No new puzzles or anything, just a boring treck back through places you've already been with maybe a couple monsters to harass you.

Black Tiger

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007, 09:15:32 AM »
TTI sent me Dungeon Master Theron's Quest along with a Lords' T-shirt after receiving one of my letters. I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise back then.

Like all games I owned, I played through it several times in a row, but it never became enjoyable.

I was disappointed with the graphics/art and wished they'd done more to deepen and expand what I assumed was a straight computer port. Now I know that its actually a neutered port.

They ending is cool with anime battle scenes, but it only made me wish all the more that I could play that game, the one depicted in the cinema.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum