Author Topic: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games  (Read 2806 times)

runinruder

Re: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 03:49:09 PM »
Ugh, I'm always up for first-person dungeon crawling, but Dungeon Master sounds horrible.  I guess I'll still have to buy it relatively soon though, lest TZD run out and eBay prices for it suddenly soar. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Black Tiger

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 08:13:46 AM »
Ugh, I'm always up for first-person dungeon crawling, but Dungeon Master sounds horrible.  I guess I'll still have to buy it relatively soon though, lest TZD run out and eBay prices for it suddenly soar. 

If the PC Engine version is cheap you could always get that. I don't remember there being any reading whatsoever in the game.  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GUTS

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 08:31:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure there are some puzzles you have to read clues to solve, but it's probably nothing you couldn't figure out on your own, especially runin who solved the mighty Xanadu end dungeon.  I never beat it though, I gave up on the 3rd or 4th dungeon out of boredom, it just wasn't any fun.

runinruder

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 11:48:23 AM »
If the PC Engine version is cheap you could always get that. I don't remember there being any reading whatsoever in the game.  :P

I might do that if it's like five bucks or something.  Hopefully it won't be any tougher than the Dragon Knights or Madou Monogatari, since I was able to clear those.  GUTS' mini-review was so DAMNING that I kind of don't even want it now, and will only buy it out of compulsion, haha. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

GUTS

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2007, 01:01:17 PM »
The Atlas- No idea what this game is like because it apparently won't play without that 128 thingy it shows on the cover.  f*cking retarded.  It's obviously some sort of Uncharted Waters type game, only it's made by ArtDink (hands down the worst developer to ever stay in business), so it's most likely going to be either extremely complicated or extremely simple, and absolutely no fun whatsoever (like all their games).  Also its all in brown and off-white, no color whatsoever except during the intro on the ArtDink logo.  I know they were going for some shitty and unique (for a reason) art style, but taking all the color out of everything isn't interesting, it's just lazy. 

If someone can find a worse developer than ArtDink (the criteria is that they made a bunch of objectively horrible games and stayed in business for at least a decade), I'd love to hear it.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2007, 09:15:16 PM »

If someone can find a worse developer than ArtDink (the criteria is that they made a bunch of objectively horrible games and stayed in business for at least a decade), I'd love to hear it.

Pack-in-Video?
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

nat

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2007, 09:17:39 PM »
Pack-In-Video had some good games.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2007, 10:53:48 PM »
Pack-In-Video had some good games.

I demand proof!
I just felt in a hole!

ccovell

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2007, 01:18:56 AM »
Thing is, Pack-in Video was also (mostly?) a publisher.  They published some games by Arc (like Road Spirits & Chris' Adventure) that are at least semi-decent.  Plus they published Zipang (really Solomon's Key) and Jigoku Gokuraku Maru (Kabuki: Quantum Fighter) on the Famicom, both of which are really good games.

I would add that if there's anyone who's consistently delivered shit, it's been RENO, one of the developers under the Telenet label.  They were responsible for the abominations Legion and Golden Axe.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 01:21:19 AM by ccovell »

Turbo D

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2007, 01:23:40 AM »
zipang has a nice intro, but don't let it fool you. The game is totally different looking, haha.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2007, 01:24:48 AM »
Yeah, Zipang was good. Reno were responsible for some awful tripe, although I do like Legend of Dekoboko.
I just felt in a hole!

Keranu

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2007, 11:34:11 AM »
I would add that if there's anyone who's consistently delivered shit, it's been RENO, one of the developers under the Telenet label.  They were responsible for the abominations Legion and Golden Axe.
I disagree. Reno was responsible for Future Boy Conan, which wasn't great but wasn't shit either. I also think Reno's name appears on Final Zone II, which falls in the same category as Conan. Did they make Riot Zone also? I can't remember.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ccovell

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2007, 11:38:55 AM »
Okay, so Conan is passable.  Sorry, but Final Zone II is shit, and perish the thought that Reno would have a part in Riot Zone!  That was a Hudson conversion of the Westone original.  Their once great names are now sullied by having been mentioned in the same post as Reno.  :cry:

Keranu

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2007, 11:40:58 AM »
Keep in mind that I have a notorius view on what makes a game shit :) . In my opinion, true shit games are ones that aren't even playble or have very minimal playable like Jack Nicklaus  :mrgreen: . Final Zone II is certainly playble and even a little enjoyable to me.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2007, 03:26:22 PM »
Okay, so Conan is passable.  Sorry, but Final Zone II is shit, and perish the thought that Reno would have a part in Riot Zone!  That was a Hudson conversion of the Westone original.  Their once great names are now sullied by having been mentioned in the same post as Reno.  :cry:
Agreed 100%. Final Zone II is total crap. I actually play the game every few years, and I am fond of it, but it is a piece of crap. The music and misogynistic face-slapping are the highlights for me. I also think some of the scenes are kool (e.g., the ones with Numan at the end of the game).

But nothing can make up for the horrible gameplay and totally uninspired... well, everything.
  |    |