Author Topic: Good news for Konami + PC Engine fans  (Read 1465 times)

Emerald Rocker

Re: Good news for Konami + PC Engine fans
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 09:09:27 AM »
I was under the impression that formerly JP-exclusive titles would remain exclusive to Japan on the Wii.  Thus far, all game versions released have been the version originally released in that region... which means that the JP Wii already has some games that you can't get in NA or EU.  If anything, it's probably *bad* for PCE fans that NES Gradius is being released, because that makes it less likely that Konami would release the (superior) PCE version on the Virtual Console in the US.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Dark Fact

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »
Quote from: Emerald Rocker
I was under the impression that formerly JP-exclusive titles would remain exclusive to Japan on the Wii.  Thus far, all game versions released have been the version originally released in that region... which means that the JP Wii already has some games that you can't get in NA or EU.  If anything, it's probably *bad* for PCE fans that NES Gradius is being released, because that makes it less likely that Konami would release the (superior) PCE version on the Virtual Console in the US.
I just don't see the point in all this if there is demand for these types of games to appear on the Wii in the west.  The video game business industry has changed dramatically in the past 15 years.  Gamers are opening up to variety and aren't as oblivious to game varieties now as they were then.  I wish companies would just stop playing business politics and give us what we want! :!:

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

GUTS

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 06:41:43 AM »
Microsoft gives people what they want, look at Xbox Live.  It has nearly every feature now that fans have asked for over the years.

Nintendo gives people what Nintendo wants to give them.  A year from now the Wii will still not have any imports or a rational way of locating friends online, Nintendo is a f*cking dinosaur.

Keranu

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 01:03:22 PM »
Microsoft gives people what they want, look at Xbox Live.  It has nearly every feature now that fans have asked for over the years.

Nintendo gives people what Nintendo wants to give them.  A year from now the Wii will still not have any imports or a rational way of locating friends online, Nintendo is a f*cking dinosaur.
Yet you're saying how ROMs should be downloaded for free while praising X-Box Live.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 01:27:53 PM »

Microsoft gives people some of what they want, but still aren't trying to make Xbox Live what it should be. It's still way better than the competition, but that just lets Microsoft drag their feet.

But the Virtual Console still provides better games at cheaper prices than Xbox Live Arcade.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GUTS

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 07:21:50 AM »
When a game goes up on Xbox live, it has to be updated in some way (that's not counting all the original games on Live).  Whether that's online play, scoring, new graphics, new levels, etc, something new must be added to the game to get it on live, they don't just offer up bare-bones roms like Nintendo.  I'm not rushing out to download any Live games either (until Castlevania SOTN comes out), but at least on live there's a reason to buy games you might already own since they have new features.

Live also has free demos of games, new content for games, movies, tv shows, etc.  Basically it stomps the absolute shit out of nintendo's pathetic online attempt.

Keranu

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 10:07:30 AM »
Nintendo is only getting started, I'm hoping they will expand in their online compartment more within the next year or two. I read about the DS connectivity recently and it sounds pretty interesting.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 11:20:33 AM »
When a game goes up on Xbox live, it has to be updated in some way (that's not counting all the original games on Live).  Whether that's online play, scoring, new graphics, new levels, etc, something new must be added to the game to get it on live, they don't just offer up bare-bones roms like Nintendo.  I'm not rushing out to download any Live games either (until Castlevania SOTN comes out), but at least on live there's a reason to buy games you might already own since they have new features.

Live also has free demos of games, new content for games, movies, tv shows, etc.  Basically it stomps the absolute shit out of nintendo's pathetic online attempt.

That's true, but Xbox Live in general could be a lot better and the Arcade games, like the VC games, are disgustingly overpriced. And although I appreciate updates to classic games, I'd still like the original version included as accurate as possible.

Nintendo is only getting started, I'm hoping they will expand in their online compartment more within the next year or two. I read about the DS connectivity recently and it sounds pretty interesting.

All I've heard about DS connectivity is that it might happen. But I'm not looking forward to a repeat of Gamecube/GBA connectivity.

FM-77

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 11:48:06 AM »
Xbox live sucks, Wii online (whatever it is called) sucks. Microsoft is charging money for nothing (Xbox live) and that is disgusting.

Leave the Internet to the computers, consoles are for gaming. Modern gaming. Old stuff can (and should) be played on their respective systems. Kids should play new games or re-releases on GBA.

esteban

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »

My brother told me that he recently replied to a survey (or provided some sort of feedback) to Microsoft about how they can further improve Xbox Live. Whilst I don't know the details (obviously!), I agree that MS should be given credit for taking their customers' feedback more seriously than most companies do. I'm no fan of MS, but I think they have taken the right approach (that is, getting the Live community involved).

I'm hoping that Wii and PS3 will push MS to make Xbox Live even better, which can only benefit its users.

Personally, my brother and I think that the downloads, in general, are too expensive. We would rather pay more for a hardcopy of the game. We're the sort of folks who always buy CD's (as opposed to paying for mp3's), so I don't know if we represent most gamers on this issue.

Then there is Lumines Live: it sports an outrageous price because you don't get the full game without at least one add-on. An awesome game, but still...
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »
All I've heard about DS connectivity is that it might happen. But I'm not looking forward to a repeat of Gamecube/GBA connectivity.
From what I read, you can use your DS as a controller for some games, which hopefully turns out cooler than the Gamecube/GBA connectivity. Though what I really like what I read is that you'll be able to download game demos onto your DS from your Wii and do some other things with your DS using your Wii as well.

Quote from: Seldane
Leave the Internet to the computers, consoles are for gaming. Modern gaming. Old stuff can (and should) be played on their respective systems. Kids should play new games or re-releases on GBA.
While I do agree that consoles should be more focused on making console games, I think it's perfectly acceptable to play old stuff on emulation or elsewise, especially due to the fact that older consoles eventually die out.

GUTS

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »
Anyone who says Microsoft is charging "money for nothing" has obviously never used Xbox Live.

Black Tiger

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
Anyone who says Microsoft is charging "money for nothing" has obviously never used Xbox Live.

I'm happy with Xbox Live, although I think it should be about half the price and their renewel policy is a scam.

But yeah, I agree that anyone who thinks it's nothing hasn't made much use of it.

Keranu

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 03:19:54 PM »
I haven't used X-Box Live, but I am not going to say Microsoft is charging money for nothing :) .

Could this same line be applied to the Wii Shop Channel?

GUTS

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 03:26:52 PM »
Don't they only renew once a year?  I wouldn't know, I just buy those prepaid cards when I want to use Live Gold, otherwise the free silver is good enough for me.  I love prepaid cards, I f*cking HATE giving my credit card # to companies.