Author Topic: PC Engine AV mod  (Read 10314 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: PC Engine AV mod
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2007, 04:13:27 PM »
Michael, the current problem with my AES could not be discovered, so I am having it returned to me.  I'll get a new AES when I care enough about the system (the Neo Geo and its games are pretty unexciting with a few exceptions).  I bought the AES from an eBay guy called Sheriff and the Frog or something like that.  I won't buy from him again mainly because everything he sells seems to smell like smoke.

Keranu

« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2007, 04:17:29 PM »
I'll be taking a vote on if this thread should be locked or not. CAST YOUR VOTES!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2007, 04:18:13 PM »
No.  Certainly not yet.  It's not insane enough to lock.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #333 on: March 13, 2007, 04:21:19 PM »
Lol I have seen him on ebay selling AES stuff. I was wondering about him because of the name. Has replacing the bios been tried yet on your dead system? Esp switching it back to  a original?  Also,I have seen Sheriff sell stuff as broken before,but he list it in the auction details that it has damage of some type. All in all that completely sucked that that happened none the less.  I used to love the AES but after  a few years just found it cheaper to mess with the MVS side of it all. Its cheaper to fix or replace then the home system and its games.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #334 on: March 13, 2007, 04:28:22 PM »
Yes that was all tried.  No good.  Maybe some bad RAM or a bad 68000 maybe?  That'd be my guess.  Maybe I'll put my spare Sega CD 12.5 Mhz 68000 in there.  Or perhaps not.  :)

Anyway the AES I got from Sheriff worked fine when I received it.  It worked fine for nearly a year or however long it has been that I have had it.  When I first opened it up I was disgusted at what looked like an amateur mod to attempt to improve the composite video with some sort of daughter board.  I posted a picture of it on the Neo Geo forums and they said that was the work of SNK themselves.  They said that SNK was so incompetent and not dedicated to quality that they had to do this mod just to get the composite video up to just below Genesis standards and they had to do it sloppily since they didn't know what they were doing.  Actually they didn't say that but that's how I interpreted it.  It was definitely an SNK job.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #335 on: March 13, 2007, 05:04:59 PM »
Yea your right. The daughter board was to improve composite on those units that had horrible composite out. For the price of the systems it was pretty sad they had those video issues on the first couple of runs. I had  a deck that had really bad composite out,lacked the daughterboard. It was a Jp deck and was the third AES I ever owned and by far the worst. I was overall pretty pissed off over it so I modded it for S-video. This was back in 1999. the last runs had much better composite,but the RGB ended up not being as good. But really,its not all that bad RGB wise still.

But I mean,yea all in all,no excuse for the flaws they had. For the asking price they should have been near perfect.

Oli_lar

« Reply #336 on: March 20, 2007, 01:17:22 AM »
Spector, I've PM'd you about this!

torgo

« Reply #337 on: March 22, 2007, 08:51:07 AM »
I haven't read all of this, but to throw some Good news in here:

I just had my AES modded by Jeff Kurtz, and it was an excellent experience from beginning to end. I have never been happier with my Neo since I bought it when they came out in the US. I still want to get my Duo modded by D-Lite, but I may have to move soon, so I have to hold off for a while.
PS Nation

TR0N

« Reply #338 on: March 22, 2007, 03:09:10 PM »
I still want to get my Duo modded by D-Lite, but I may have to move soon, so I have to hold off for a while.
D-Lite has been M.I.A as of late i would wait untile afther the move.

I've been trying to reach him to mod mine as of late, but no luck still  :(

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

« Reply #339 on: April 21, 2007, 01:01:52 PM »
Michael, you'll be happy to know that I have a working AES now.  KPJ sent me a different motherboard altogether since the one I sent him couldn't be made to work at all.  He did the RGB bypass mod or whatever is needed to get proper RGB out of the thing as well as added the Universe BIOS to it.  All that and a new (to me) AES motherboard for $125.  That's really not bad at all.  It glitches less than my old one as well (it had graphical glitches on the Fatal Fury 2 character select screen as well at certain points in other games).  The motherboard is also far less sloppy than the old one (no daughter board for the composite video).  Sure, it has a Toshiba 68000 instead of a Motorola, but who cares?  I have a Toshiba TV, so they get along with each other and be best friends.  Apparently this one needed a slightly different AC adapter, and he sent that as well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:05:18 PM by Joe Redifer »

Digi.k

« Reply #340 on: April 28, 2007, 04:33:04 PM »
if you are still having no luck getting your pc engine's modified and live in UK you could try these places..  Again they are expensive but you should have no problems.. *fingers crossed*

These guys do it for £44.99 but you will need to email to confirm it.
http://www.videogameimports.com/hw_index.htm

Raven games do it for 34.99.. only thing i dont like is having the lead permanently attached to the machine.. :(
http://www.ravengames.co.uk/

TR0N

« Reply #341 on: April 28, 2007, 05:56:06 PM »
if you are still having no luck getting your pc engine's modified and live in UK you could try these places..  Again they are expensive but you should have no problems.. *fingers crossed*

These guys do it for £44.99 but you will need to email to confirm it.
http://www.videogameimports.com/hw_index.htm

Raven games do it for 34.99.. only thing i dont like is having the lead permanently attached to the machine.. :(
http://www.ravengames.co.uk/

I'm in the U.S so that wouldn't help me at all.

I was thinking of trying oldschoolgamer but he just offers a region mod.

No s-video etc  ](*,)

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec