Author Topic: PC Engine AV mod  (Read 10312 times)

Spector

PC Engine AV mod
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:52:48 AM »
Okay, it's the dreaded "who can perform an AV mod for me" thread...

I live in the UK, and am looking to delve into the world of PC Engine magic. I want to mod a white JAP PC Engine, and nothing else. I know that superfamifreak used to do this, but he doesn't visit here much anymore. Is there anyone else in the UK capable of modding? Hope so  :)
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

Black Tiger

Re: PC Engine AV mod
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »
Okay, it's the dreaded "who can perform an AV mod for me" thread...

I live in the UK, and am looking to delve into the world of PC Engine magic. I want to mod a white JAP PC Engine, and nothing else. I know that superfamifreak used to do this, but he doesn't visit here much anymore. Is there anyone else in the UK capable of modding? Hope so  :)

You can buy many of the other PC Engine systems, which all have A/V output, for a lot less than what someone would charge for a mod.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 08:26:10 AM »
Get a CoreGrafx. Same as the PC engine just with the AV outputs. It's grey instead of white, too. Otherwise identical.

Spector

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 08:57:58 AM »
Yeah I know about these other versions. Just to stop the thread turning into a lot of suggestions as to what model to buy with A/V, I repeat that it's the white model that I want modded, and that's all. I have a question or two regarding the CoreGrafx, but that's for another thread.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »
Get a CoreGrafx, take off the grey shell.  Throw it away.  Put white PC Engine shell on CoreGrafx.  Cut hole for composite video and stereo audio jacks.  Show to friends. 

termis

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 11:08:27 AM »
Get a CoreGrafx, take off the grey shell.  Throw it away.  Put white PC Engine shell on CoreGrafx.  Cut hole for composite video and stereo audio jacks.  Show to friends. 

That probably really is the easiest way if you want just the A/V output.  Not to mention you'll get a two units out of the deal for probably less money (unless you really throw away the other unit as Joe suggested), and it'll be sturdier than actually modifying the unit.

The only thing is, you'll have to use the standard a/v cable that you have to use for the Coregrafx/Duos - the large din5 type.  I'm assuming that's not a problem.

guyjin

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 11:09:57 AM »
if you can get your hands on a French Sodipeng unit, those output SCART... or does your TV not accept that?
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

termis

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 11:27:07 AM »
Oh, and do you ever plan to add a CD-ROM system to this PC Engine unit?  Because once you connect it to a CD-ROM system, you have access to an a/v output through the cd-rom unit.

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 06:48:51 PM »
Oh, and do you ever plan to add a CD-ROM system to this PC Engine unit?  Because once you connect it to a CD-ROM system, you have access to an a/v output through the cd-rom unit.

But it won't fit into the CD-ROM interface if it's modded.  :wink:
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

FM-77

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 03:18:16 AM »
OFF TOPIC: This thread made me want to play PC Engine. BADLY!! I'll do it soon.

/spam  :-&

Spector

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 03:48:35 AM »
Two follow up questions regarding the CoreGrafx:

1. Is there anyone from the UK here that uses one?
2. If so, how good is the picture? Is it snowy, or fairly clear?

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 06:51:20 AM »
We have one other UK PC Engine owner Digi.k. He showed us pictures where he uses I think RGB cables

Though I live in the USA (NTSC territory), I straight up sympathize with you PC Engine fans living in Europe
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 06:53:36 AM by Ninja Spirit »

NeoStuey

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 07:29:27 AM »
Hello everyone, :D

Short term lurker and a first time poster here.  :)

In answer to your question Spector, I'm in the UK and have had a white PCE successfully modded to output RGB.

It's had the RF modulator removed and replaced with an internal RGB mod with amplifier that connects using a DIN to Scart connection. In fact I have two different Scart leads made at my request.

One (not pictured) is for when the PC Engine is in stand alone mode, this takes both the audio and video signal via the DIN connection and out through the Scart.

The Second (pictured above) when using the CD Interface takes just the RGB video signal via the DIN connection and the audio via two phonos is taken from the AV output on the Interface unit to Scart. This gives me the best of both worlds as now my PC Engine can be used either with or without the CD Interface and I still get the optimum picture performance. :D

A couple of pics to show RGB in the flesh. My TV screen being rear projection makes it hard to capture a great photo but these examples aren't too bad, it still looks much nicer in the flesh.

I haven't the skill/patience to do such a mod myself but I will see if I can contact the guy who did such a great job on mine. :)

chaoticjelly

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 09:01:30 AM »
Stuey told me about this thread so I have registered, apologies for not introducing myself first, I am fairly active on some other forums which I wont mention since im not sure if its against your board rules yet. I have lurked here a bit too.

I am the person who modded Stueys PC Engine as shown above for RGB output. I think the original poster may be wanting RGB output instead of A/V output, but yes, you could call the socket an "A/V socket" that outputs RGB..

I modded Stueys by taking out the old RF unit and trying to neatly enlarge the hole to fit the new DIN socket.

It would of been possible if it were a standalone PC Engine to have a captive cable coming out of the rear i.e. no socket, just a cable coming out secured by a grommet, but since he wanted to use it with an IFU-30 and CD-ROM unit that wasnt an option.

Anyway if anyone wants to get in touch I can provide plenty of feedback and references with regards to my modding skills, all happy people of course, just send me a PM and I can provide all the necessary info.

Ive only got into PC Engine recently, ive played "teh romz" some time ago on my GP32, and I really like the system and games. Im a big collector of Sega and Nintendo, from the UK, North-West (Lancashire)

Anyway peace out, James.

Spector

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 09:24:07 AM »
Ah yes: breakthrough!

I'm just going to send you a pm right now...    O:)