Author Topic: A new Master John Lee secret  (Read 885 times)

Keranu

A new Master John Lee secret
« on: January 24, 2007, 01:41:01 PM »
I came across this tonight. It seems that sneaky Master Lee has another secret up his sleeve.

"January 24, 2007 - Speaking in an interview with GameInformer, Hudson Entertainment's John Lee, who's the Director of Marketing, discussed Nintendo's Virtual Console and hinted at what's planned for the future.

"Clearly, we love it," Lee said of the service. "Better than sliced bread. With the number of games we already released for it, and the number we have planned for the future, we are definitely backing Nintendo up on this initiative."

Hudson has currently pledged classic TurboGrafx-16 games to regions other than Australia, but asked if there were plans to bring original content to the Virtual Console, Lee said, "In the future, you should rephrase that question to: Are there any plans to launch original content on some downloadable service on the Wii, and you might get a different answer."

Asked about the possibility of equipping games with online functionality, such as co-operative play via the internet, Lee replied, "At this point, my understanding is that the VC was meant as a marketplace for classic games. Since the original games did not have online gameplay, I don’t anticipate at this stage that these games will have online play while on the VC."

If Hudson's hints are anything to go by, Nintendo has plans for a separate download service for newer, original and perhaps online-enabled content, in the vein of Microsoft's Xbox Live. Lock it to A-N for more!"
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Odonadon

Re: A new Master John Lee secret
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 02:00:14 PM »
Cool, but doesn't necessarily mean we'll see new TG16 content - just new, downloadable content from Hudson (maybe the cell phone version of Bonk) and other gaming houses as well.  Could be interesting.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 03:22:15 PM »
I found this thread on Hudson Entertaint's forums and it looks like they are making a new Bomberman game, but never specified the platform it's being developed for. Could there be a connection with what I linked to in my first post?
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

guyjin

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 04:23:47 PM »
could it be that Nintendo, and not Hudson, wrote the TG16 emulator; the big N did a half-ass job, and Hudson can't do anything to rectify the situation?
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 04:28:33 PM »
It could be possible, but I find it unlikely since I don't see why they would do a half-ass job when they already did a good job for their own Nintendo emulation.

GUTS

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 06:12:19 PM »
Probably so the Turbo wouldn't show up their systems since Turbo stomps the hell out of snes, n64, and nes.

Odonadon

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 05:37:22 AM »
Probably so the Turbo wouldn't show up their systems since Turbo stomps the hell out of snes, n64, and nes.

Well, it "stomps" the NES anyway.  I don't think Nintendo is concerned about the TG16 showing up the N64, or SNES for that matter :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

esteban

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 12:53:22 AM »
Hey fellows. I didn't see this thread last night, so I'm re-posting here. Basically, CVG was able to get a response from Nintendo about Mr. Lee's secret #2.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on January 23, 2007, 10:36:40 PM
Man, he is hipper than hip!
Hey Joe! Your favorite fellow is in the news! Check it out:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=156286?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

He says that Nintendo will be offering original game downloads in the future. I haven't seen the original article, though, just this little blurb that references it.

If you're too lazy to follow the link, here are the relevant passages:

Quote from: CVG
Curious as to what he may have meant by that, CVG contacted Nintendo and got this response: "Nintendo has developed a programming system that will allow small independent developers to make games for Wii download service.

"We cannot confirm at this time in what format the new content will be delivered, but in the future there will be original games available for download through the Wii Shop."

For those of you who don't know, Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata, spoke of such a development tool at various games events last year, allowing low-cost game production for Wii. Anyone who got hooked on Geometry Wars on 360 knows how exciting this prospect is.

It's currently unknown when the proposed original game content will be made available to download, although it is unlikely that they'll be delivered through the Virtual Console.

Yes, be prepared to download some Bejeweled clones for the Wii at some point in the future!
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 06:51:36 AM »
Haha bejewled, why does everyone clone Columns? Whatever happened to the good ol days when everything was a Tetris clone?

Hudson should port the Bonk they made for cell phones to the Wii and make it playable, cell phones do not deserve new games in good franchises.

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 08:06:18 AM »
I agree, it would be nice to have their cell phone ports available for this. No way in hell am I buying a cell phone and no way am I going to use it for gaming :D .

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »
Cell phones are meant for gaming!  Making phone calls is just an extra feature.  Gotta love those low-res vertically oriented screens.  Perfect for Pac-Man and Galactic Attack!

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 02:01:29 PM »
Cell phones are so comfortable to use for gaming too - it's like the perfect pad.

esteban

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 03:26:52 AM »
Haha bejewled, why does everyone clone Columns? Whatever happened to the good ol days when everything was a Tetris clone?

Hudson should port the Bonk they made for cell phones to the Wii and make it playable, cell phones do not deserve new games in good franchises.
I know! Be careful what you wish for, though, or else we might see a resurgence of Hatris. :)

|    | 

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 06:30:16 AM »
Hey I like Hatris!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 04:33:09 PM »
Yeah, Hatris was kinda fun.  Well, at least the pyro in me enjoyed burning those dude's heads.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles