Author Topic: Vigilante is Hard???  (Read 1233 times)

sunteam_paul

Vigilante is Hard???
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:26:12 AM »
According to Gamespot's review of VC Vigilante it is 'impossibly difficult', ' ridiculously hard' and 'you'll need to invest hours of practice and experience quite a bit of luck before three continues and eight total lives are enough to carry you through to the final boss. '

Am I missing something? Was the difficulty on the US release pumped up because the Japanese version is piss easy.

I'd add that they also said it has 'unimpressive audio even for an 8-bit game' which is crap. Sure, Irem sound wasn't the best but Vigilante sounds decent enough. They also complained about the poor speech sampling saying 'and the mangled voice clips aren't side effects caused by the emulation. Irem simply didn't put much care into the audio'. This was 1989 for God's sake, there weren't that many console games with speech, let alone good speech.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Vigilante is Hard???
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:40:27 AM »
Assuming that nothing was changed from the TG-16 (I haven't played Vigilante on V.C.), they're a bunch of whining pussies.  I never had any problems with the difficulty, and I'm certainly not some gaming god.  Bitching about the voice is funny - just what in the hell are they comparing it to that is so much better and from the same time period?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

GUTS

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 07:16:40 AM »
I beat it the first time I ever played it, in under an hour.  I remember because I called the little mom n pop rental place and asked if I could exchange the game since I had already beaten it, and the lady was like "In an hour?" and was all skeptical.  My mom had to vouch for me that she had seen the ending, haha and they finally were cool and let me get something else.

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 07:44:29 AM »
That sounds like a pretty bullshit review. Vigilante is for the most part really easy, the only hard part is the last boss who can be a real bastard. The game only takes like 20 minutes to beat too.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

sunteam_paul

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 08:39:11 AM »
Amazingly, heres a few things Gamespot said about Super Star Soldier:
'gruelingly difficult', 'Difficulty will make you want to curl up into a fetal position, shivering and sobbing', 'Some options to adjust or tone down the difficulty would have been nice', 'Super Star Soldier's best and worst trait alike is its extreme level of difficulty'.

What are these people on? I have to admit I'm a bit rubbish at games, but SSS is not as hard as they'e making it out to be.

Also: 'Your power-ups can protect you from an instantaneous death, but for the most part, one brush with an enemy or a bullet and you explode. This is typical, but what's unusually strange and sadistic about Super Star Soldier is how, unless you find this one rare power-up, you'll have to start over from the beginning of the stage after you die.'

Rare? RARE? What game are they playing here?

And also, they said:
'Unfortunately, Super Star Soldier does not support two-player simultaneous play like many other, similar games'

So how many shoot 'em ups of the era were 2 player sim? Not bloody many.

EDIT: Aah I just noticed further down the review: 'The audio is nothing special either.'.

Ehhhh? EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?

WHAAAAAAT???
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:40:51 AM by sunteam_paul »
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

termis

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:36:04 AM »
Viglilante?  Hard?  It was running as a demo on a small appliance store, I stopped by, took the controller, and beat it.  Granted I played the game in the arcade a couple times before that, but it was still way too easy.

nodtveidt

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 12:35:43 PM »
Pfft, these morons know NOTHING about gaming. They couldn't review an answering machine message. Games were GAMES back in those days, when you needed SKILLZ to play games rather than the latest uberhardcore graphics card or a six-pound book of cheat codes.

Vigilante was ridiculously EASY. And hell, the copy I bought was slightly broken (only gave you 2 lives rather than 3, so you only ever saw 1 lil guy icon where there was supposed to be 2). I still beat it in a couple of days.

The PCE conversion doesn't quite live up to the arcade (some animation frames missing, and there's no nice drums like in the arcade version) but it's pretty close.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 09:34:58 PM »
I wouldn't say Vigilante is easy, but, because it's short, it makes it seem easy.  The last boss, as Keranu stated, can be a real bastard.  He's annoying, but beatable.  And I love the music in Vigilante & SSS, Gamespot is on crack!

guyjin

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 03:02:57 AM »
I have already come to the conclusion that videogame reviewers are almost universally stupid. This is just more evidence.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 09:00:46 AM »
I have already come to the conclusion that videogame reviewers are almost universally stupid. This is just more evidence.

Then this should seal the deal for you-

http://superpcenginegrafx.com/blueshadows1.html
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Ultra Luigi

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 12:23:42 PM »
Heh, I just got the game about an hour ago and I got to the final boss on my first try but he beat me down pretty bad. I tried it again and he took me out again. Any pointers on how to beat this annoying punk? He really likes to counter you with his grab and kick every time you approach him.

Turbo D

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 12:51:34 PM »
i just under kick his ass  :twisted:

Ultra Luigi

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 01:13:50 PM »
Lol, it worked pretty damn well. Thanks a lot Turbo D.

Those reviewers were way off. I can see it being considered hard but ridiculously hard or impossibly difficult, no way. The game overall was easy for me except the final battle against the boss.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 01:50:54 PM »
There are patterns to the enemies,the only character hard to kill is the last boss. the Pcengine/Tg16 port is very close to the arcade. The only real major thing I notice is the lack of smoking at the first boss. I own the arcade board of this game now,its so old,but still nice for its time. I would spend hours playing it on the Tg-16 back in the early 90ies when I first got a copy of it,thinking how amazing close it was to the arcade in look and feel,same way with Raiden,Aero Blasters and Bloody Wolf. Those were def some good times for me back in 92-96. Most of the arcade ports are of quality on the system.

These people reviewing these games,they are from a whiny 3d only generation.They don't respect the stuff. They don't care about any of it,because of lack of 3d and 5.1 surround,and act like they were forced to play the stuff.
And yea,it is hard for people like this to play old games like what we play. Older games tend to require faster reaction time,and are less forgiving. 1-3 hits equal death in some cases.  They require real skill,and for you to spend real time playing and enjoying them.This is unheard of today in games. People these days are pampered with easy games that can take you forever to die even if you have never played the game in your life.

Imagine if you made these reviewers play Ninja Gaiden on Nes,they would die of strokes.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 12:29:35 AM »
HAHAHAH!!! OH SHIT!!!! Man, you got it right down to the soul. It is sooo damn sad how people are spoiled these days with games. I still see reviews of Ninja Gaiden for the X-box being "OMFG it is really hard". Lazy unskilled bastards. It is sad how bad people are in the new gaming generation. I remember recently seeing a game tournament on Gaming TV with Starz/Encore channels and I just laughed at how arrogant these guys were and how much they suck at skill.... and life as well since they felt like huge ballers that won the Thunder Dome or something.