Author Topic: Repairing a PCE CD system (Briefcase version)  (Read 1086 times)

Oli_lar

Repairing a PCE CD system (Briefcase version)
« on: April 17, 2007, 03:19:40 AM »
As the title says I have a briefcase system I'd like to try and repair - when I put a CD in and press run it just keeps on spinning, stopping after a while and then repeating that. I played music CDs in it and it was fine.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Keranu

Re: Repairing a PCE CD system (Briefcase version)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »
Try tilting it on it's side or something. Sometimes this helps when I run back ups on my PCE CD.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
Pour oil into it. 2 liters.

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 12:43:08 PM »
This one dude said he had to turn the system upside down until the game starts, then it ran fine in regular position. must be some problem with briefcases, haha.

FM-77

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »
These particular systems are extremely dodgy. Repairing it is probably not going to be easy.

Oli_lar

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 10:59:14 PM »
hmm none of those suggestions seem to work - I'm using the system card ver 2.1 - is that right?

When I press run and the cd tries to load the screen goes wavey and kind of repeats itself a an inch lower too....

peperocket

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 03:30:16 AM »
Hi,
Do you use the Original Power Unit or not ???
Because you need a 9V 1500ma power unit for your IFU.

nat

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 04:19:28 AM »
hmm none of those suggestions seem to work - I'm using the system card ver 2.1 - is that right?

When I press run and the cd tries to load the screen goes wavey and kind of repeats itself a an inch lower too....

Your problem could be power like the previous poster indicated, but I've personally seen your symptoms as a result of using a dirty System Card.

Yes, a System Card can be just dirty enough to load to the title screen but not properly load the CD game into RAM. When this happens it will produce effects similar to what you've listed.

Get some fine sandpaper or a metal nail file and gently buff the contacts on the System Card so they are really shiny. Use a damp cloth to wipe off any filings and, of course, let the cart dry before trying again. It doesn't hurt to use a little alcohol on the contacts, too, but sometimes alcohol alone isn't enough.

Oli_lar

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 07:56:27 AM »
No I don't use th original, I'm using a multi voltage set to 9V, but it says 800Ma max - is that the problem?

Cleaned the system card with a bit of nail varnish remover to no avail, I'll get a bit of sandpaper tomorrow in town...

peperocket

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 08:17:23 AM »
Sure, you need a 1500MA power supply, because if you use less, cd spine but it's not enough for have a good cd reading !

FM-77

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 08:29:45 AM »
Your PSU is definitely the problem. I used a weak third party PSU with my PS1 once. It could read music CDs just fine, but games just didn't want to work. Got a new original PSU and everything worked great.

nat

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 09:04:07 AM »
No I don't use th original, I'm using a multi voltage set to 9V, but it says 800Ma max - is that the problem?

After reading this, I concur with peperocket and Seldane. You need a proper power supply. This is most definitely your problem.

Turbo D

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 10:48:26 AM »
I've had a similar experience with a sega cd where a better psu fixed the problem.

Oli_lar

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 02:05:06 AM »
 :clap: cheers guys. I have a UK step down converter (Jap out) so should I get an original NEC power supply, or is there a cheaper 3rd party option?

Thanks

grahf

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 03:45:07 AM »
Any 9~10v adapter will be fine, as long as it has enough amperage. And the polarity on the plug is the same of course.