Author Topic: Where can I find some good antivirus programs and firewalls?  (Read 920 times)

Dark Fact

Where can I find some good antivirus programs and firewalls?
« on: April 19, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »
Guys, I'm going to need your help again. 

A few weeks ago, my cousin bought himself a brand new desktop computer.  However, he is Ukrainian and me and him can barely communicate since he knows little english and my ukrainian speaking skills have weakened over the years.  Anyways, my dad wants me to install some antivirus software programs in his system.  My cousin doesn't want to have to pay extra for net security and I'm wondering where I could find some firewall and antivirus programs for free? I remember you guys pointed me out to Grisoft antivirus when I had that GAOBOT virus on my system.  However the site just gives me a blank page and won't load.  Any other suggestions? I need to have these programs ready for my cousin ASAP.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Turbo D

Re: Where can I find some good antivirus programs and firewalls?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 12:48:07 PM »
Are you interested in a nod32 with an everlasting trial? I can email it to you.

guyjin

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 12:48:28 PM »
I use AVG for antivirus. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 it's free.  :clap:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »
I also have zone alarm pro if you want it.

Dark Fact

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 01:11:29 PM »
Quote from: guyjin
I use AVG for antivirus. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 it's free.

That's the link I was talking about earlier.  All I'm getting is a blank page when I click on it.  Could you care to e-mail me the install file?
Quote from: turbo D
Are you interested in a nod32 with an everlasting trial? I can email it to you.

I also have zone alarm pro if you want it.

What are those like? :-s

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Turbo D

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 03:08:11 PM »
Nod32 is an antivirus program. Zone alarm is a free firewall program that is pretty good. The pro version has upgraded features like spyware removal. they also make antivirus, but i dont have that to share.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »
I recommend the new AVG as an all-in-one firewall and virus protection solution. The free avg just protects against viruses though, no firewall.

FM-77

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 01:36:24 AM »
Avast is the best free anti-virus/firewall software (actually, it is better than retail software as well). It practically doesn't take any resources, it doesn't destroy your computer (unlike Norton) and it doesn't slow things down at all.

Get it.

www.avast.com

It's free, but still requires you to register it. Registering is annoying, but worth it (because it only takes some time, no money).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 03:20:03 AM »
Zone Alarm Pro and nod32 are not free.  Don't be a LeEt HaXOrz and steal readily available commercial software - there are plenty of legally free options available.  I'll hop off of my soapbox now.  :wink:

If the new computer has Vista on it, make sure that you're getting Vista compatible versions.  Some of the firewall and anti-virus programs have yet to be updated.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 04:00:29 AM »
turbo D, I don't really know the board's stance on the subject, but I'm pretty sure offering w4r3z is illegal...

Oli_lar

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 03:26:53 AM »
I use both Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy, both very good programs. I used AVG for a while but got anoyed with it...

Turbo D

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 11:42:28 AM »
Adaware is an excellent free anti-spyware program. I've used it for at couple of years.

Dark Fact

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 06:18:57 AM »
Well, it turns out that my local internet service provider has their own free security system that they claim is "better than McAfee and Norton combined" and it won't slow my system down or do auto scanning without my consent.  The catch is that you have to be a registered customer.

So my cousin is planning on getting the same service I'm using and that will entitle him to the free security system.  The system works great so far and managed to weed out a little virus that was sitting dormant in my computer in the process. :wink:

I'll let you all know how it goes by week's end.  Thanks for your help, everyone. :)

Kitsunexus

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »
Well, it turns out that my local internet service provider has their own free security system that they claim is "better than McAfee and Norton combined" and it won't slow my system down or do auto scanning without my consent.

I highly doubt the legitimacy of their claims, especially when you consider that Norton and McAffee are very slow and shitty. ¬_¬

xelement5x

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
Bump, does anyone have advice here? 
My PC has been acting really slow recently and I wonder if it's a virus or botnet or what.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story