Author Topic: Quick ? about PC Engine Duo RX  (Read 523 times)

YearZero

Quick ? about PC Engine Duo RX
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:53:12 AM »
A friend of mine picked up a PC Engine Duo RX from Ebay and wanted to know if you needed a System Card in order to play the Super CDRom games.  I'm sort of baffled too. 8-[

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Quick ? about PC Engine Duo RX
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:54:10 AM »
Nope.  He'll need an Arcade Card Duo to play Arcade Card games; a Games Express Card for Games Express releases; and a 1.0 syscard to play Altered Beast.  Everything else will only need the Duo's internal syscard.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

YearZero

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 05:12:04 AM »
Cause the Duo already has 3.0 instlled, right :?:

MrFulci

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 05:23:03 AM »
Yes, 3.0 is already on the Duo system.

The same stuff Necro said is also true.

Also, keep in mind HuCards from the US won't work in a PC Engine, and vice versa.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

YearZero

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 05:56:44 AM »
Cool, thanks. 8)

As for, HU Cards, I'm still trying to look around for a converter.  One guy said he'd send some pics for me to have a look-see, but never made good on that promise.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 06:06:31 AM »
Any Japanese system will require an internal modification (grounding of pin 29) as well as a HuCard converter.  If you really want to play TG-16 games, you're better off foregoing the converter and just doing a switched region modification, since you'll have to modify the internals anyway.  The other option is to just pick up a TG-16 - they're pretty cheap and readily available.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

YearZero

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 07:14:28 AM »
Yeah, I've seen some Super Grafx and PC Engine PTs on Ebay that have a switch that allows you to play either JPN/US HU Cards.  I wouldn't mind picking one up, but then again, there's my problem with Pay Pal, so I'd go for picking up a regular TG-16.  Better than nothing, I'd say. :P

offsidewing

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:04:07 AM »
I gave up on having my duo-R region modded and A/V outputs after 3 or 4 weeks of no replies from the various entities that do mods.  I just want to get my name on some sort of waiting list...

Anyways,

I picked up a TG-16 with TurboBooster Plus, couple controlers, Couragous Keith, and all the orginal hook ups for $50 off ePay.  Would have been less than half if I went without the Booster. 

MrFulci

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 11:40:08 AM »
Offsidewing, you have less patience than I have.

Though I have not been seekign ti out daily, it was about a year ago I sent my first e-mail to D-Lite about a modded Duo-R. I wanted to purcahsed a pre-modded system if he had one.

As I mentioend in the other thread, every 3 months an e-mail, never a response.

i sent him another e-mail yesterday, this time about modding a Duo-R I own. I may receive a resopnse....

Old School Gamer does region switches, no video mods...

I've sought out other places, however most only work on Sega Genesis and such. It's been a bit tough finding a place that mods the PC Engine.

I have read good things about SegaSonicFan, he has a web site at http://www.freewebs.com/segasonicfan/index.htm   I sent him an e-mail, to see if he'd liek to tackle a Duo-R.

graah (poster here) mentioned he may consider doing these mods in the future.

I have someone working on a mod for me now elsewhere, however he only does Neo Geo stuff and Superguns, though I will ask if an S-Video mod on a Duo-R is something he may want to try.

I'm plugging away at this a lot the past 2 weeks. I want this done soon, within the next few weeks.

offsidewing, if something turns up I'll let you know.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

TR0N

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 04:38:30 PM »
Offsidewing, you have less patience than I have.

Though I have not been seekign ti out daily, it was about a year ago I sent my first e-mail to D-Lite about a modded Duo-R. I wanted to purcahsed a pre-modded system if he had one.

As I mentioend in the other thread, every 3 months an e-mail, never a response.

i sent him another e-mail yesterday, this time about modding a Duo-R I own. I may receive a resopnse....

Old School Gamer does region switches, no video mods...

I've sought out other places, however most only work on Sega Genesis and such. It's been a bit tough finding a place that mods the PC Engine.

I have read good things about SegaSonicFan, he has a web site at http://www.freewebs.com/segasonicfan/index.htm   I sent him an e-mail, to see if he'd liek to tackle a Duo-R.

graah (poster here) mentioned he may consider doing these mods in the future.

I have someone working on a mod for me now elsewhere, however he only does Neo Geo stuff and Superguns, though I will ask if an S-Video mod on a Duo-R is something he may want to try.

I'm plugging away at this a lot the past 2 weeks. I want this done soon, within the next few weeks.

offsidewing, if something turns up I'll let you know.

I might have to do the same thing.

Have send it in for the region switch to be added and... at least have the av jacks added as well.

I've been looking at http://www.oldschoolgamer.com site as well.

Every time i think i'm ready to have my, Duo-R modded i try to reach D-Lite and he's super busy again.

Kind of a shame there's only two people that offer the service.

One gives ya the works the other only go's halfway  ](*,)

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

offsidewing

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 04:03:06 PM »
Not impatient, just expect an email back either way I contact a website offering a service.  If the website said "Currently not accepting orders" or "Stop back in September" I'd be like,

Sheeit multi-mods, that's all you had to say!

I just picked up a TG-16 with Booster+ cheaply.  The only TV I have with S-Video is a 46" LCD.  Don't think blowing the image up that large and stretching it out in 16:9 will be that hot.  I'm thinking about what a stretched and cropped Devil's Crush would look like on the Aquos...  ugh.

Then again, I haven't searched the posts to find factual info on what the Turbo looks like on a large 16:9 Telebishon pumped through an S-Video mod.  Sewer Rat may taste like pumpkin pie...

My free time is up come July.  The wife rotates back to day shift and living the Turbo dream 24/7 will be over (until she rotates back to afternoons is December).  I'm getting away with blowing cash on two golf leagues and Pimped Duo-R's because she doesn't want me to be bored...

offsidewing

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 03:21:27 PM »
I have no idea what a super gun is, but the one on the website looks like a detonator on a rather large hi-yield nuclear device.  Whoa...

YearZero

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 05:27:54 AM »
Well, he got it yesterday but one problem - no a'v cable.  I've looked on Radio Shack's site for him but found nothing.  Any sites out there that would have one?

Thanks.

termis

YearZero

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 04:54:14 AM »
Yikes.....I think buying safer. :shock: