Author Topic: Top Ten Worst Consoles of All Time  (Read 2783 times)

Keranu

Re: Top Ten Worst Consoles of All Time
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2007, 05:15:14 PM »
I know, I totally agree! Plus I liked the concept of it with going through screens to find your way home while avoiding the FBI.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Dark Fact

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2007, 05:24:45 PM »
And you get to eat Reese's Pieces just to stay alive! :D That's awesome in of itself! :D

I didn't mind falling in the pits just as long as there was something good in it.  People just gotta learn to watch for the flashing dot.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

FM-77

« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2007, 02:59:15 AM »
When I bought my Sega Mega Drive in a video game store, you got to choose one game and you would get one "secret" game. So I chose one game (Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle) and the store owner chose one game (some NHL crap). I was disappointed in his decision, of course, but paid the money and left the store. While outside, I opened up the NHL box and noticed that weird, larger cartridge that didn't even seem to fit the Mega Drive (the cart wasn't as wide as the actual cart slot). So I went back in the store, and said "hey, I think you gave me the wrong kind of game, this one doesn't fit the Mega Drive", and showed him the cartridge. The store owner was baffled and excused himself and gave me another game instead (Decap Attack, which turned out to be awesome).

Some video game store owner, ha ha ha! Didn't even know about those EA carts. :P Sure, I didn't either, but ...... that's beside the point! :D

guyjin

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2007, 08:46:36 AM »
It was part of the "edu-tainment" craze, although certainly not to the extent of the Memorex VIS.

Wow, thanks for jogging my memory. I remember seeing a memorex VIS (in a radio shack), but i had assumed that I was remembering a CD-i. The controllers were pretty distinctive.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Kitsunexus

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2007, 09:11:45 AM »
Yeah, the VIS was a crazy mofo. It was an AMD 12MHZ computer running a version of Windows 3.1, but Tandy/Memorex made them take out all the references to Microsoft.

Some of these so called VIS "games" are also PC compatible... one day I shall pick up one of these PC compatible games and a VIS system, see exactly how and why it works on the VIS and make other games from the era work on it as well (like Wolf3D and perhaps even ROTT).

But to tell you the truth, I know how they do it already. It's a special file structure on the disc and the game is set to load the VIS drivers automatically, instead of the old "Setup.exe".

This is not beyond my realm of feasibility to conquer, though...

td741

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2007, 09:43:12 AM »
Anyone have a Gamewave? ( http://playgamewave.com/index.cfm )

I'm semi-curious now that's it's apparently being phased out from the only retail outlet that carries it. :P  Currently half price in TRU.ca, I read somewhere that it was 75% off in the US for a while.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2007, 09:48:14 AM »
Anyone have a Gamewave? ( http://playgamewave.com/index.cfm )

I'm semi-curious now that's it's apparently being phased out from the only retail outlet that carries it. :P  Currently half price in TRU.ca, I read somewhere that it was 75% off in the US for a while.

A multiplayer DVD player? Sign me up...  :roll:

Now this is crazy: http://www.gameport.tv/

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2007, 10:25:01 AM »

Now this is crazy: http://www.gameport.tv/

That thing looks promising, but I'm not holding my breath to see how many consoles end up being supported or even if it's ever released.  It supposedly is powerful enough to be able to emulate the hardware for just about any console up to the SNES - kinda like a gp2x.  As an added bonus, the case was designed by Ben Heckendorn.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
As an added bonus, the case was designed by Ben Heckendorn.

That's the only reason I've heard of it. I love Ben (in a completely non-homo way) but seriously, he's been whoring himself out. Have you seen those ugly USB headsets he designed?  :-&

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2007, 05:26:30 PM »
That's the only reason I've heard of it. I love Ben (in a completely non-homo way) but seriously, he's been whoring himself out. Have you seen those ugly USB headsets he designed?  :-&

Nope, I hadn't heard of 'em before.  I just checked 'em out now, and they look pretty sweet if you're into the retro look.  I'm not a fan of full size cans (except on the ladies), but I'd check these out if were in the market for a set.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »
Don't get me wrong, they look great, and they probably sound decent, but WHY BROWN? #-o

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2007, 06:49:05 PM »
I can't answer that, but it looks like leather (not that leather isn't available in nearly any color).  They'd really look sweat with some of the color shifting leather used in the '04 Mystichrome Cobras.  I'd love to get some of that stuff to reupholster the arm rests on my desk chair.  8)