Author Topic: Top Ten Worst Consoles of All Time  (Read 2785 times)

FM-77

Top Ten Worst Consoles of All Time
« on: May 21, 2007, 03:26:42 AM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=wmv&id=19205

A fun video. Definitely true too, I just wish the CD-i would've been in first place.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Top Ten Worst Consoles of All Time
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:52:32 AM »
Muwahahahaha!  The R-Zone "made the Virtual Boy look like a Playstation 7".  :lol:

Nice list, but I think that the Nuon deserves a spot more than the 3DO.  Sure the 3DO was insanely expensive, but at least it had quite a few good games.  They say that it was trounced by the Playstation, but you'd hope that something released nearly two years later would be better and cheaper.  The 3DO was too expensive to compete with the 16 bitters, and it was released too early to compete with the 32 bitters.  If high price alone is enough to make their list, they should have added the Laseractive.

Now what does Seldane wish?  Come on man, finish your damn thought!  :)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

offsidewing

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 06:04:09 AM »
I can't really see any fault with the 3D0 except for the price.  Return Fire is simply one of the funnest games ever made.  It's on my top 10.  The PSX version had different maps and looked a tad underdone graphics-wise.  Also, The 3D0 also had, at the time, one of the best looking Super Ludacris Side Street Fighter Twin Turbo II Champion Dash Editions.  Star Control also rocked.

There was on bad thing:  Goldstar or Panasonic?

FM-77

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 06:24:18 AM »
My wish is stated in the first post, it was just hidden so I wouldn't spoil the video for you guys. Highlight the text to read it (or look closely).

By the way, what is Nuon? I've read the name on here a few times, but I've never heard of it elsewhere.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:04:53 AM »
Tee-Hee, you got me Seldane!  :lol:

The Nuon was an attempt to turn a DVD player into a gaming console.  It was somewhat powerful and could produce roughly Playstation level graphics, but this was after release of the Dreamcast and shortly before the PS2.  Not too surprisingly, it didn't receive much support from software developers (eight games and only four movies with Nuon content).

offsidewing

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:33:36 AM »
Isn't there some Panasonic/Gamecube thing??

Again, it was one of those "I heard in Japan, they have this..." type things.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »
I don't think the Phantom should even be considered since it was never released.  That right there disqualifies it.  And can the 32X/Sega CD really be counted as consoles?  I don't really think so.  If they can, then they could also count the Arcade Card for the PC Engine which had far fewer good games than the Sega CD.  Where is the Amiga CD-32?  Or perhaps the Lynx? 

FM-77

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 10:23:58 AM »
I've always counted both the Mega-CD and the 32X as seperate consoles.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 10:45:14 AM »
Isn't there some Panasonic/Gamecube thing??

Again, it was one of those "I heard in Japan, they have this..." type things.

The Panasonic Gamecube Q was produced under license from Nintendo and played Gamecube games (obviously) as well as audio CDs and DVDs.  When the big N inked the deal with Matsushita (Panasonic) to supply the optical drives for the 'cubes, Panny was given the right to make their own 'enhanced' version.

I've always counted both the Mega-CD and the 32X as seperate consoles.

In my addled mind, the Sega CD is kinda in a gray area between new console and add on.  It's not really a next generation leap over the Genesis (similar to the SuperGrafx's small improvement on the PC Engine or the FX chip for SNES games), but it does more than simply add CD storage capacity like the PCE CD or memory like the Arcade Card.  The 32x added quite a bit to the Genesis and has to be counted as a separate console.  Distinct console or peripheral - either way it was a piece of shit.

FM-77

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 10:59:04 AM »
Distinct console or peripheral - either way it was a piece of shit.

Amen to that.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »
But you're required to have a Genesis for it to run.  So it still falls into the peripheral category no matter how much it does for the system.

guyjin

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »
My thoughts:

First of all, you can't bash a console that doesn't exist. And you especially can't put it ahead of consoles that do exist and have good games (Sega CD/32X/3D0).
Second, 3 of the systems mentioned (did they intend R-zone and Game.com to share one spot?) were portables. portables are not consoles.  =;
Third, While I have never played a gizmondo, there is no way that it can be worse than CD-i. just cannot be.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Tatsujin

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 02:43:56 PM »
totally agree with guyjin. this list is a pure joke which i can't take seriously. nobody should. it's a shame for the time they spent on that report. as well as for our time who watched that crap.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

nodtveidt

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 04:56:11 PM »
I think the list was pretty spot-on.

TR0N

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »
I think the list was pretty spot-on.
Agreed, expect for the sega-cd etc since i see it as a add on and not a console.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec