Author Topic: You can use an american TG16 controller with a japanese PC Engine, right?  (Read 414 times)

MotoRoaderMike

I just want to confirm this is true.

Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

nat

Yes and no.  The connector plug for each system is different, althought the controller itself is the same.

You have to swap a cable from an actual PCE pad to use a TG-16 pad on the PCE, and vice versa.

MotoRoaderMike

Yes and no.  The connector plug for each system is different, althought the controller itself is the same.

You have to swap a cable from an actual PCE pad to use a TG-16 pad on the PCE, and vice versa.

Ah, shit. f*ck!

Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

td741

Well, the US TurboDuo connector matches that of the PCEngine and PCEngine Duo's.  There were official converter cables (I forgot the name, I think they were "Duo Cables") that allow you to plug in TG16 controllers in PCEngine.  I don't know they're availability now, but I remember grabbing tons of them and TG-16 controllers and taps when Radio Shack was phasing out TG16 and Duo games and accessories.  I did trade a whack load and kept some for myself.

You can make a reverse-tap as well.  You get a TurboTap and a TG16-tap and swap the connector cables.  Then you have a tap that allows you to use TG-16 controllers on a Duo/PCE and another that allows you to use PCE/Duo controllers on a TG-16.