Author Topic: TurboFont  (Read 686 times)

2X4

TurboFont
« on: June 10, 2007, 08:23:38 AM »
After extensive searching, I was unable to find the font used for the TG-16 logo and product packaging.  So I decided to recreate it myself.  I have a lot of letterforms completed already, but I could use a little help if anyone's game.  I am sure a lot of people find the font ugly, but it is part of the Turbo's identity, and I would really appreciate any assistance you guys could provide.  What I'm after are high res scans of letters in this font, preferrably black text on white, but I'll take what I can get.  More obvious places to get these are game and accessory packaging and manuals, but if you know of other sources, please use them as well.  I especially need lowercase letterforms, as well as any punctuations and odd capitol letters such as N, K, Q, W, M, etc.  Thank you in advance, I am anxious to see what you guys can come up with!
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Keranu

Re: TurboFont
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 05:07:17 PM »
I could help you, but not sure how well I could pull it off. Check out my site LaZer Dorks for examples of edited fonts I've made in the banners taken from various games. I think the best thing you could do for lower case letters is to just use the standard capital letters, except shrink them.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

MrFulci

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:54:51 AM »
2X4,

If you can point me in the direction of something that may contain the font you are lookign for, I can scan it at a large dpi, and send you tif files.

I have the black and white, "Thank you" card from the TG-16 box. I think that is all typed in that same font. It's white text on black. It contains a lot of letters, hahaha. I'll post a sample pic up here in a moment to see if that's what you're looking for.

*edit

I dug out the system box. There are 5 lineson the 'Thank You' card, upper and lower case. The system box also features some of this font, however it is smaller and black on white. Let me know if you want this card scanned

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 01:59:29 AM by MrFulci »
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

2X4

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 11:49:03 AM »
Thanks guys.

Mr. Fulci, the font is mainly found on game and accessory boxes, though I think it shows up on manuals here and there.  If the thank you card has the font and you're willing to scan it, that would be great, especially if it's in black and white.  There is another font that they use a lot in body text, that font looks similar at first glance, but it's actually just Univers 49 light ultra condensed.  The font I want is used in the TurboGrafx logo, and it is used a lot for game titles on the earlier game covers and turbochips, like Kieth Courage for example.  If that's the font they used, I would be in your debt if you could provide a scan, preferrably at least 300 dpi or higher and in an uncompressed or losslessly compressed format.

Unfortunately I don't have much to work with.  Although I love this system, I have only ever had six games for it and I don't have much else to go by.

MrFulci

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:12:55 PM »
2X4,

PM me as to where I can send a large file to you, either direct transfer, or into an e-mail box. If .tif is too large for you, I can make it a high quality jpg so it is not quite as large.

It appears to be the same font you are looking for.

Also, what is this font being used for?
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

2X4

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 01:12:18 PM »
Thanks to Mr. Fulci I have a few more letterforms, but I still need some, especially lowercase letters, punctuation, and uppercase M, Q, V, W and Z.  If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it!

esteban

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 10:18:05 PM »
*bump* AKA the FUNK OF 40,000 years....

Does anyone know if this font was ever finalized/tweaked further?

I used this font as recently as... 5 years ago? But, unfortunately, my old workstation (all my old software/fonts/etc.) may or may not be recoverable (I'm having trouble with my backup harddrives...

|    |