Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo: Total capacitor replacement chart  (Read 15589 times)

grahf

Actually I'm still in Japan. I came across a white PCE in a junk pile, and here I am.

Keith Courage

I have one more cap replacement question. There are two caps on this board that seem impossible to get to from underneath even though they were originally soldered from underneath(circled in red). Would I be safe soldering new ones in from above?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:02:56 PM by Keith Courage »

BlueBMW

To do those two you need to bend up the BA chip on the bottom and temporariliy remove that pad under it.  Then you can access the solder points of those caps.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Keith Courage

Huh really? Is it okay to bend that up a little?

Keith Courage

Okay, I got it. Bent up just a bit to get the soldering iron tip under there. Thanks for the advice. I have replaced many caps on these before. Just not all of them at once for preemptive maintenance. Usually I just change the bad ones and call it at that.

BlueBMW

Huh really? Is it okay to bend that up a little?

I should have added "carefully" to that!  I have replacement BA chips if you manage to break one somehow
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Duo_R

I just replace those ones from the top, bending up the BA chip isnt necessary. 
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Keith Courage

One more capacitor question. Unfortunately some of the capacitors I ordered in showed up with NP on it and no - or + markings. Is a non-polarized capacitor bad to use?

BlueBMW

I thought there were specific applications for non polar caps so I want to say don't use them in plavmce of polarized caps.

Keith Courage

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The ones that came this way were for the few 4.7UF caps on the board. I do have some spare 35V ones. Would that be way too high or should I just get 16V as recommended.

BlueBMW

You can always use higher voltage, they're just usually larger and can cause clearance issues in some applications.

thesteve

np (non polarized) caps are always safe as replacements for standard.
just never the other way round

goukisama

Thanks this guide helped me a lot on my pc engine duo. But the Cd drive still wont spin or run. Is there something i'm missing? Or am i going of topic?

thesteve

My first duo full cap replacement

chop5

nice steve  :clap:   looks like factory repaired
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie