Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo: Total capacitor replacement chart  (Read 15520 times)

BlueBMW

Wow that's nice work!!   :clap:
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

thats the untouched duo you sent.
the laser appears good.
the cap related to laser had leaked everywhere

BlueBMW

thats the untouched duo you sent.
the laser appears good.
the cap related to laser had leaked everywhere

I figured most of the problems were cap related on that unit.  It seems like more often than not, laser problems are caused by capacitor failure, not laser failure.  Keep that new laser I sent though.  You'll probably need it eventually.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

full cap replacement KIT for the DUO

Harmik

Thank you to Red Ghost and everyone for the great info 

blueraven

Attached is a photo of a full silver cap replacement on a 1st gen Black PC Engine Duo with Hi-Temp NTK capacitors.

Hopefully this will go for another 20 years.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

thesteve

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo: Total capacitor replacement chart
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
to solve jail-bar issue on rgb modded system replace capacitor C961 10uf with 100uf tant or 220uf aluminum

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2012, 08:05:19 AM »
to solve jail-bar issue on rgb modded system replace capacitor C961 10uf with 100uf tant or 220uf aluminum

Which cap is that exactly? Will this work for an S-video mod which is basically a RGB mod with S-video circuit after?

Also, I wonder if there is a way to get rid of some the RF like interference you see on some solid backgrounds like blue sky? I remember reading something about even getting rid of the HuCard chip tune humming after the music stops problem as well.

thesteve

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »
its the cap thea the hu card sits above on the black unit
yes it clears up the noise on solid backgrounds, improving all outputs (including composite)

ApolloBoy

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
I'm in the midst of replacing the caps on a TurboDuo for a client of mine and it's actually much easier than I thought it would be. Tedious yes, but difficult not at all. I was almost expecting it to be like the TurboExpress where the solder pads will lift up if you do so much as look at them wrong, but the board is surprisingly sturdy.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

thesteve

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2012, 07:29:28 PM »
the black duo has a very solid board, the -R not so great

lastcallhall

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »

I was actually looking at my Duo-R last night and decided I should probably replace all the caps as a precautionary measure. Well, that and my laser won't read much of anything other than audio CDs. I've tried adjusting the pot on the laser assembly itself, but not the V101-V105 pots on the board. However, my board looks different than the one shown in the original post - I'm guessing it has to do with it being a Japanese -R instead of an american Duo. In any event, are there any specific areas where I should use extra caution? Recapping is nothing new to me - I've done dozens of Genesis systems and rarely did I run into a problem, I was just concerned with your comment.

BlueBMW

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2012, 12:00:55 PM »

I was actually looking at my Duo-R last night and decided I should probably replace all the caps as a precautionary measure. Well, that and my laser won't read much of anything other than audio CDs. I've tried adjusting the pot on the laser assembly itself, but not the V101-V105 pots on the board. However, my board looks different than the one shown in the original post - I'm guessing it has to do with it being a Japanese -R instead of an american Duo. In any event, are there any specific areas where I should use extra caution? Recapping is nothing new to me - I've done dozens of Genesis systems and rarely did I run into a problem, I was just concerned with your comment.

I havent seen the need to recap the R systems yet... not to say it wont start to have problems eventually though.  I'd try and adjust your laser first.  VR101-105 are your best bet,  the adjuster on the laser should be a last resort.  You may just need a new laser.

lastcallhall

« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »

I havent seen the need to recap the R systems yet... not to say it wont start to have problems eventually though.  I'd try and adjust your laser first.  VR101-105 are your best bet,  the adjuster on the laser should be a last resort.  You may just need a new laser.

Yeah, that was ordered today, as well. :)

toofastforyahuh

I did a (nearly) total cap replacement on my TurboDuo and TurboExpress, with the help of a lab technician with expert soldering skills.
I missed the 3.3uF/50V cap and didn't touch the BRAM cap.
But otherwise I tried to make a part list for anyone who wants to do the job with correct size parts.
I posted it here in case anyone else finds it helpful.  There's a few empty fields (e.g. things I forgot or part numbers covered up by gunk).  Feel free to fill them in.

http://www.anthrofox.org/projects/turbo_caps.html