Author Topic: Go! Go! Birdie Chance Review  (Read 325 times)

SuperDeadite

Go! Go! Birdie Chance Review
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:46:55 AM »

As you can probably tell from the title and cover Go! Go! Birdie Chance (GGBC from now on) is a Golf-girl simulation game. This concept is surprisingly fresh even today as I've never seen a game quite like it. The great character designs on the cover, and the strangely addictive title were all it took to get me to purchase this baby.

The game itself is divided into 2 seperate modes, Story Mode and Round Mode. The Story Mode is basically a Golf-girl training simulation and is the meat of the game. Round Mode is just standard golf with 3 different courses and up to 3 players.

The basic concept of GGBC is that you are the new Coach. You have just been hired by the "Master's Golf Girl's Acadamy" (think private girl's highschool for aspiring golf pros). It is your job to train these sorry ass girly-girls into the next world champions.

First thing to do is choose your girl. There are 3 lovely ladies to pick from, and they each have their own story path to play through. The paths are technically seperate, but some events occur through all paths and you get to experience these events from different viewpoints. A rather nice way to do it in my opinion.

The basic flow of the game is Scene ----> Training ----> Match. There are 7 chapters, but its common to have up to 5 different matches in the later chapters, making GGBC quite a long game.

The story scenes are all done with very nicely drawn pictures.  For example:

Due to my reliance on taking pics off the TV with a cheap digital camera, these are hurt by bad lighting and scanlines. But note the detail put into the designs and the great use of shading. This is a quality product through and through.

Also being a CD-ROM based game, we have full voice overs for everyone (well except the Coach of course).

The Story scenes are truly the heart of the game. In the beginning you'll see your girl struggling to even hit the tee-off, and eventually facing off with the "Professional Golf Queen of Japan." The 3 characters are your anime typical cliches, but they are always characterized in a serious and believable way.

The Training part of the game plays very similarly to other simulation games. You plan her training schedule, by picking 4 activities per training day. You can do up to 5 days before the game forces you to enter the next match.

The training options are nicely varied. There are the ones you'd expect "Driver Practice, Iron Practice, Putting Practice, Running, Weight-training" but also some silly ones such as "Mountain Climbing." There are also "resting" activities such as going to the beach, going shopping, and of course the hot-spring bath.   :mrgreen:  Once your girl has entered the Pro League, you get even more options to choose from.

Once you've made your decisions and start the training you will see some very nice CGs of the girl performing them. Most simulation games like these have silly animations that do nothing but waste time. I really like how GGBC basically just gives you a quick and pretty slideshow.

After the training has finished, the girl will tell you the results of the day and you can easily see the changes on the stats screen. If her abilities improved, they are highlighted in blue, if something decreased they are highlighted in red. Except for her happiness stat which is represented in hearts (very cute)   :dance:

Stats Screen:

Whenever you do training, her stamina will naturally decrease, and will be regained slightly by doing rest activities. By carefully planning, it is possible to fully max out a girl's stats. (Miyuki's stats shown above are 100% maxed out, but this was very difficult to do)

Also her Confidence Stat is normally not affected by training. However, sometimes you'll get a lucky event which will boost her confidence.

The Stats themselves are VERY important. The difference in her performance was quite clear with even a 1 point difference in her stats. Talk about an indepth stat engine!

Stats also grow based on the girls natural abilities. For example one girl is all power. Raising her driving abilities is quite simple, but her putting skill starts at only 10, and goes up only 1 lousy point at a time.

After training its time to play golf. Before each match you'll have converstaions with the various opponents involved. A lot of heart was placed in every single one and it really shines during these scenes. This is especially true with the "boss fights" which are one-on-one match play tournaments.

The golf part of the game is also very nicely done for a 16-bit title. The game is displayed in triple-split screen so you don't have to mess with seperate views. The graphics aren't the greatest but they look nice and its easy to tell what you are looking at. This game also has the best green maps of any golf game I've ever played. Simple arrows show gradient changes, and more arrows mean a steaper slope. The phyisics are also really really good. Very accurate and predicatble bounce patterns based on the terrain, wind, and, ball-spin.

What makes this really interesting though, is that you are the Coach and NOT the actual player. You get to pick the club, direction, spin, and power. However the actual shot is up to her and is totally dependant on her stats.  (In Round Mode, you have full control like any other golf game.)

I really like this very unique approach to the gameplay, as it requires you to properly train her and have good judgement about setting up shots. Simply stat boosting nor golf skill will work by themselves. For example, your girl can put 9 different types of spin on the ball, and only be reading the terrain and wind will you know which to choose. However without stats she may hit that ball straight into the water hazard anyway because she totally screwed up the shot.

In other words, while the girl gets better, you also have to get better at coaching. Its very immersive and feels totally awesome once she wins her first trophy and you see the fruits of your labors.

Also whenever she gets a bad shot (landing in the rough, bunker, water, OB) she will ask you for advice. You get 3 options and these will either raise or lower her confidence stat. They put a lot of fun into these and the bad answers are often quite hillarious. Here are some of my favorites:

Miyuki: "The ball is in the rough, Coach what do I do?"
Coach: "No one is looking, use your hand!"

Miyuki: "OB? I don't believe it! Coach what do I do next?"
Coach: "Hmm... I guess there's a forest there."

Miyuki: "Water Hazard? Oh no, what next Coach?"
Coach: "Time to put on that 2 piece bathing suit."

The stroke count per hole affects her happiness. Get a par or a birdie and she's happy. Get an Eagle or Hole-in-one and she's excitied. Get that insane Albatross and she's drunk with pleasure.

Hmm what more can I say? To put it simply, this game is fantastic, easily the very best simulation style B-Game I've ever played. Sure stuff like Tokimeki Memorial may have a million stats, but spending hours making yourself a pretty boy gets boring and lame.

In GGBC its not about you, its about helping your young protege achieve HER dream and helping HER beat her rivals. The characters are so well written that its impossible to not be sucked in. When Miyuki got her first Hole-in-one I was absolutely ecstatic! I actually went and got a beer out of the fridge and drank it in HER honor with a toast to HER great achievement. I have never cared so much about a videogame character. I felt priviliged that I was even allowed to be her coach.

Wow, what a game. Its been a long time since I've gotten this much into anything. GGBC is overflowing with heart and soul and its got a lot to love. Even if you hate golf, I'd still recommend this to anyone.

The video link once again: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6321400444841518586&hl=en
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

runinruder

Re: Go! Go! Birdie Chance Review
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 03:17:25 AM »
Great work, thanks for the excellent review. 

Like GUTS mentioned in the video thread, it seems like the Japanese might get in the way of doing well with the training/stats stuff and prevent some of us from getting full enjoyment out of story mode, which is really unfortunate.  But it sounds like one hell of a game, definitely cooler than I ever imagined it would be. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

m1savage

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 01:44:22 PM »
Yet another perfect example of one of the many pc engine games I'd like to have seen translated into english. Of course the RPGs are an obvious choice, but it's these "offbeat" games that really appeal to me. By the way, I've spent many hours with GGBC and it's still enjoyable even though I can't read Japanese. Thanks for the review SuperDeadite!

peperocket

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 02:40:30 PM »
Thank you very much for this great review

Windancer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »
oh man i'm sorry but I have to disagree with this review of this overpriced over hyped one of the worst golf games Ive ever played. Jack nicklaus golf  blows this away and old jack is a poor golf game. Best golf game on the pce happens to be included on a 5.00 dollar cheapy called human sports festival. now this game does have nice cut scenes and voice overs but as a game its just horrid. I cannot believe this game or is it a game? is considered rare and one of the priciest titles you can waste a good 200.00 bucks on. If you like this thats your choice or your perception of the game but my perception is that its horrible in all facets of a golf sim. The system is poor of sports titles and this title falls right into another bad golf game. Sorry but I think people should be warned before they fork out 200+ on this one. If I payed that much I would at least want somethin good to play. I will give a full steaming pile review in a few days. I've only put in 2 hours of play on it and must give it a fair go and get critical screenshots for a review.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:43:20 PM »
Well, everyone is welcome to their own opinions.  But Go Go isn't a golf simulation, its a golf coach simulation.  The game doesn't even give you real control over what happens, because its not the point.  Comparing it directly to stuff like Jack Nicholas doesn't even make sense.  My review is based specifically on Story mode.  I didn't even touch the "normal" golf mode, because its only an extra.

2 hours of play? Does your girl totally suck? Because she SHOULD suck at that point.  The best part of the game is the feeling of achievement it gives you.  About 99% of what happens on the golf course is based on stats.  I said this game isn't for everyone, and I meant it.  How's your Japanese? If you are just picking stuff at random you're missing a lot.

Over hyped? WTF? How many people here play this game? And I've yet to meet anyone besides me that's actually completed it.  So just because I greatly enjoy the game and gave it a good review its over hyped?  And $200? Where are you shopping? The game usually sells for half that even on ebay.

Anyway Go Go Birdie Chance is a great game.  Not for everyone, but a great game still.  Its quirky and requires a different style of play.  Which is why I took the time to even make a video of it.  Directly comparing it to other golf games is retarded.  It was developed by HuneX, same people as Blue Breaker on the FX.  Both games are very radical twists on traditional game design.  They are complicated and hard to appreciate at first, but once you understand what is actually happening, they become very enjoyable and rewarding games.

nectarsis

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:27:03 AM »
To be fair the only 2 copies on Ebay are $140 & $160 (both Toshi)...and have been the only 2 copies I have ever seen on there.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Windancer

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:46:51 AM »
Well, everyone is welcome to their own opinions.  But Go Go isn't a golf simulation, its a golf coach simulation.  The game doesn't even give you real control over what happens, because its not the point.  Comparing it directly to stuff like Jack Nicholas doesn't even make sense.  My review is based specifically on Story mode.  I didn't even touch the "normal" golf mode, because its only an extra.

2 hours of play? Does your girl totally suck? Because she SHOULD suck at that point.  The best part of the game is the feeling of achievement it gives you.  About 99% of what happens on the golf course is based on stats.  I said this game isn't for everyone, and I meant it.  How's your Japanese? If you are just picking stuff at random you're missing a lot.

Over hyped? WTF? How many people here play this game? And I've yet to meet anyone besides me that's actually completed it.  So just because I greatly enjoy the game and gave it a good review its over hyped?  And $200? Where are you shopping? The game usually sells for half that even on ebay.

Anyway Go Go Birdie Chance is a great game.  Not for everyone, but a great game still.  Its quirky and requires a different style of play.  Which is why I took the time to even make a video of it.  Directly comparing it to other golf games is retarded.  It was developed by HuneX, same people as Blue Breaker on the FX.  Both games are very radical twists on traditional game design.  They are complicated and hard to appreciate at first, but once you understand what is actually happening, they become very enjoyable and rewarding games.

I can totally understand that my girl does suck and must level up.  However this is a golf simulation. You have a screen with power bars. You hit buttons to manipulate those power and control bars. Its a golf simulation with an rpg element thrown in. I am going to give this a fair try I will put hours in before I do a full review. I don't know how I will stick to it as I have not liked the 2 hours I have played so far. Plus guys I do like golf games that play fast and thats my problem LOL This one does not play fast. It obviously needs a person who has  alot of patients and wants to sit down and dedicate alot of time into building up a golfer. I will do it but I have a problem with the slow  gameplay. Oh I didn't mean over hyped. That was a mistake on my part. My point is this I'm going to play it some more then do a review and based on what i've played so far it's pretty bad to me. That does not in fact mean it will be bad to someone else. As what I do I take reviews or leave them. I was so excited to start playing this and I did not pay for the game I downloaded it. For myself im glad I did not buy it. Cause I like to play what I buy, and would have been upset with purchasing this title. If I didn't plan on reviewing it I probably wouldn't give the game a second chance. I hope I do not offend anyone with my review Later. That is not my intention at all. I also must say that your review you put up in the forum was a very good read and you liked the game I can appreciate that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:27:00 AM by Windancer »

esadajr

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 05:48:40 AM »
Great review! Time to fire up le burner
Gaming since 1985

Nando

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 06:02:52 AM »
The art looks great, how bad is the language barrier? I'm assuming is fairly high.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 06:58:30 AM »
Yeah this games pretty good.  I don't really like golf, but the girls help.   So does the non-usual Golf gameplay. 

:)

There are only a handful of Golf games I like across all platforms, and this is one of them. 
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Bardoly

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »
@SuperDeadite

So, can you update the video link?  I would be interested in watching a video review of this game.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »
Blast from the past.  The old video did get auto-transferred from google video to youtube.  It's currently set to private though.  Back then I had a crappy chinese digi cam only.  Now I can do much better.  It's about time I suppose. :)

esteban

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »
It was great (re-)reading this.

STATUS: Damn! I think I picked this up cheap (a few bucks) years ago...but I never get lucky like that. I must be confusing it with another game. I KNOW I AM.

|    | 

Bardoly

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 06:44:15 AM »
Blast from the past.  The old video did get auto-transferred from google video to youtube.  It's currently set to private though.  Back then I had a crappy chinese digi cam only.  Now I can do much better.  It's about time I suppose. :)

...So, you're saying that you're going to do another video (high quality of course) for this game?   :pray: