Author Topic: Pc engine import converter with compatibility problems !!!  (Read 643 times)

LEO EL INCOMPARABLE

Pc engine import converter with compatibility problems !!!
« on: July 30, 2007, 03:52:23 PM »
I have a pce converter. works perfectly with the pce hucards on the american system. BUT... When i use any arcade cd, all games have glitches & even they freeze up. If someone have an answer please ley me know. thanks.

SignOfZeta

Re: Pc engine import converter with compatibility problems !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »
Yeah, this is pretty common. Its why the Kisado converter was developed. The fix depends on what converter you have. I believe one of them has an actual design defect; a misrouted tracing, or something...I might be just thinking I remember something that isn't the case, if so, sorry.

Usually its just some games that mess up, not all of them. Mad Stalker doesn't run for shit on one of the converters, and I think it was the "Super TV Game Converter" that causes Sapphire to crash on stage two.

Also, I think it was theorized that Arcade Cards are slightly thinner than most HuCards, and that might cause problems with the connection.

My personal theory is that most of the converters are just cheesy aftermarket crap from HK that didn't work very well when new, and are really screwing up en masse now that they are 15+ years old.

As has been said here a million times before (at least 324,000 times by myself): converters are pointless and stupid. The reliable ones cost more than an entire PC Engine Duo RX, and the (comparatively) cheap ones don't work for crap, so just buy a PC Engine and save yourself some cash (and dignity, I mean it so ghetto to have those things sticking a mile out of your system).

LEO EL INCOMPARABLE

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 04:24:25 PM »
Hey thanks for your help. My converter is the green long one like this:

----------
|             |------  ----------------------
|                      |-|                           -| 
|                                                     -|
|             |-----   ----------------------
 ----------
The converter cost me only$20.00 on TZD.com

nat

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 05:43:54 PM »
The Kisado is the only converter worth owning. Unfortunately, if you didn't buy one back when they were cheap, you're kinda screwed and might as well buy a Japanese Duo like SignOfZeta indicated.

Luckily, I got mine "back in the day" before you had to empty your retirement fund for one. Still going strong! And absolutely zero glitches with Arcade Card games. :)

LEO EL INCOMPARABLE

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:10:01 PM »
Man...Youre right. the thing is when i buyed the adapter i only thinked in pc engine hu cards (hucards plays with no problem) but i bought the acd card last year (to late) and you can imagine when i opened the packade from ebay with original "Sapphire & strider hiryu" and then put in the duo and...bingo "glitches in result for no compatibility with adapter" that day i was so pissed of jejeje. Maybe ill start  searching for the kisado adapter but for now... I'll still playing the acd games on my pc with magic engine.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:11:41 PM »
Hey thanks for your help. My converter is the green long one like this:

----------
|             |------  ----------------------
|             |-----   ----------------------
 ----------
The converter cost me only$20.00 on TZD.com

OK, yeah, that's the one usually known as the "green diving board". Excellent ASCII art, btw. My friend has one, and his copy of Mad Stalker has remained unplayed since he bought in new back in the day. Its a better product than the Super TV Game Converter, but mainly just because the Super TV Game Converter won't actually fit in Duos. $20 is obviously a good deal. Especially since back then a Japanese Duo was $500. Things sure have changed.

The only time I use a converter is on my Core Grafx II to play US games. I only own two US games, so this isn't very often. Actually, I finally managed to sell Darkwing Duck, so I guess I now have only one US game; the free copy of Chew Man Few from when TZD was giving away all the tester copies of US games.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
There is gotta be some sort of way to cut a trace or add components to make one work better. Does seem like a big hassle though. You can always region mod instead of having to systems to switch through all the time.

Turbo D

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 08:29:36 PM »
I've noticed that some diving boards have a yellow wire soldered onto the pcb. I know that my diving board doesn't have the yellow wire and it will not work on my duo, only my turbografx-16. I don't know if the wire just fixes this problem or yours as well.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 09:28:28 PM »
I own the purple converter.  At first it didn't work with the Arcade Card Pro at all.  Then I cut a trace and it works perfectly with everything ever made 100% of the time without fail ever.  Plus, it's purple.  Purple kicks your ass.  I don't use a Duo, but the REAL TurboGrafx-16, which kicks more ass than the Duo because it is 100x better and has better grfx and soundz.

Turbo D

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 09:31:22 PM »
Does it really have superior grafx and sound compared to a duo?

LEO EL INCOMPARABLE

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 09:53:21 PM »
thanks for the tips my friends!!!
i will try to disable the yellow line(the one doesn't part of the board cause is added). hope this experiment works because Sapphire & strider hiryu are waiting to be played on my 47 TV with 5.1 home teather jejeje.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 02:11:00 AM »
Does it really have superior grafx and sound compared to a duo?

Of course not - Joe is a tool.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 09:21:53 AM »
The Duo only has 512 colors.  The TurboGrafx has, like, 525 or so.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 09:50:31 AM »
Duo = black, white, and a handful of grays.  :(
TG-16 = all that the weak ass Duo has to offer plus a couple of yellows and oranges.  :dance:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

D-Lite

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 10:35:23 AM »
Just region mod the Duo.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com